Woody Allen's Anything Else DVD cover

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Oct 15, 2003.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

2. Dene

Dene Agent

That's great news, thanks for posting PaulP. Here in the UK it's become de rigeur to see Woody Allen's movies for the first time on R1 DVD!

One thing: the item says the disc is being released by Universal. What have they got to do with Anything Else -- wasn't it a DreamWorks release?

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Never even heard about this movie--did it bypass the theaters? I usually like Woody's films.

4. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Dene, Universal distributes Dreamwork's DVDs.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Interesting...

It looks like Allen used Panavision for this film.

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Maybe Panavision lenses - I just saw this a week or so ago and I'm pretty sure it was 1.85:1.

8. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I caught this about a month ago, and can confirm that it is 2.39:1 'Scope. I didn't know that going in, and was very surprised to see it, as Woody's last (and only previous) 'Scope film was Manhattan. Anything Else is therefore his first 'Scope film in color. But that is its sole distinction.

I hated the film, for whatever that's worth. It's a sex dramedy (emphasis on comedy, or attempted comedy) in which Biggs plays a young Woody Allen (he even talks like Woody), and Allen's in the film too, playing himself (or his set on-screen comic persona), so it's like some bizarre cloning experiment. Two Allens for the price of one. Unfortunately, the film recycles gags from earlier Allen efforts (I noted one conversation, in particular, that I believe has cropped up a few times in past Allen films, most recently in Hollywood Ending), though here the delivery kills any comedy the material may have had previously; I found none of the characters sympathetic (nor believable, nor even likeable, though I know a guy at least in the same ballpark in life occupied here by Biggs), and with the usual cultural "observations" one has come to expect from Allen (here presented exclusively as cheap and, to my ears, quite offensive shots; Hollywood Ending, as I recall, was a merciful reprieve from this long-standing trend in Woody's films) ... well, I thought it was Woody's worst film in years. Possibly his worst, period. Whatever their problems, even his feather-weight comedies Curse of the Jade Scorpion and Hollywood Ending had a few good laughs. I don't believe I laughed once in this film (I did smile once or twice, but they were scarce smiles overwhelmed by frowns), and I showed up in a good mood, ready to guffaw. I certainly didn't leave in a good mood! Ah well.

Note that the IMDB's summation on their "Now Playing ..." listing (prior to the film's opening, this was found under "more" at the bottom of "Opening Soon") was a complete fabrication (it's no longer up, as the film was released a while ago); I went in expecting a film as described on that IMDB listing, a film that might have been much funnier, but what I found was one wholly and completely different than what the IMDB summation suggested (they had the character relationships wrong, for starters -- Danny DeVito, truly wasted in this film, is not Christina Ricci's father, and so on). The actual film page on the IMDB gives a very brief, but far more accurate, summation in which DeVito isn't mentioned at all.

At any rate, that's my fair warning to those (even long-standing Woody fans) who might be thinking of a blind purchase when the DVD is released. Roger Ebert seemed to like it (he gave it ***), but he and I disagree on just about every comedy released (often on action pictures, as well). Such is the way of things. But I've enjoyed several of Woody's pictures, both dramas and comedies, and this film is a far cry from what I'd consider "good" Allen.

If you're looking for a middle-of-the-road, but pleasant, comedy about a writer, and one still in theatres, I'd steer folks to Duplex, directed by (and narrated by) Danny DeVito. It's only mediocre, in my estimation, but mediocre is miles above Anything Else.

9. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Bill, with all due respect and thanks for the review... it has Christina Ricci in it. Where do I preorder? [​IMG]

10. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

11. Bill Burns

Fair enough, Paul. [​IMG] She plays a dastardly character (I believe Ms. Ricci referred to her as "the girlfriend from hell" in an interview), but she's lovely while doing so.

Speaking of which -- I have to disagree with Julian; Christina has a few scantily-clad scenes, and she looked mighty good to me. [​IMG] Without getting into salacious detail, her legs in particular, including her thighs (always a good indicator of when folks are too thin or a bit overweight), were smashing. Head to toe, I think she's looking pretty great. I'm worried about a few faces out there (Maria Shriver looks downright gaunt these days -- I hope she's in good health), but Christina looked just fine to my eye. That's for her physician to say, of course, not me, but I'm not worried about her health from what I saw on the screen.

12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg

IMDB mistakenly has it down as a flat film, but I promise you it was definitely 2.35:1, perhaps the result of his collaboration with cinematographer Darius Khondji. Not sure if it was true anamorphic or Super 35, but given Khondji's extensive experiences with Super 35, that's what I'd place my money on.

13. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

Anything Else is definitely anamorphic, not Super 35. Allen's first use, I believe, since Manhattan. I'm looking forward to this disc and I liked the film a lot. I honestly do not understand why this film is so widely reviled.

14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg

Just curious what your source for that info is - it hasn't been covered in the latest AC, so I don't have anything concrete, but I would just assume it was Super 35 because most of Darius Khondji's 2.35:1 work is in Super 35.

I think you're right about Manhattan. And I enjoyed Anything Else too - not one of the all time greats, but quite an enjoyable two hours.

15. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I caught this in the theaters and loved it, I must also admit this is the first time I have seen a Woody Allen film in its entirety....
    I'll probably pick this up.

16. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I missed this one but will be purchasing this dvd the day it's available.

17. Bill Burns