Woody Allen to appear at Cannes to open festival

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vickie_M, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

PARIS (Reuters) - American actor/director Woody Allen will open the Cannes film festival (news - web sites) on May 15 with his comedy "Hollywood Ending," marking the first time the veteran star has attended the festival, organizers said Thursday.
    More at:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nes_woody_dc_1
    I had no idea he'd never been to Cannes before. I'm not much of a fan, but I do adore some of his films, and like others, and this one sounds pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing his take on the Hollywood system. Maybe his appearance at the Oscars was as much to soften a possible forthcoming slam at Hollywood as it was to promote New York.
    Here's a plot summary for Hollywood Endings from IMDB:
    Woody Allen plays Val Waxman, a film director, who was once big in the 1970's and 1980's, but has now has been reduced to directing TV commercials. Finally, he gets an offer to make a big film. But, disaster strikes, when Val goes temporarily blind, due to paranoia. So, he and a few friends, try to cover up his disability, without the studio executives or the producers knowing that he is directing the film blind.
    Summary written by {[email protected]}

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I hope this movie is good. It premiered at a festival in Los Angeles recently, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Also in May, TCM is having an 18-movie tribute to Allen, including an original documentary on his career.

~T

3. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

That film looks like it's going to be hilarious. I didn't hear anything about it prior, but the plot sounds great. Is he going to play himself again? (the film director).