Woodpecker Repellant?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

We have a pesky woodpecker waking us up with a drum roll on our house every morning for the past several weeks. (See my blog for the full story.)

Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to kill the thing, I just don't want to be woken up by his tiny jackhammer at 6 every morning.

Is there such thing as a scarepecker?

(Insert Janet Reno joke here.)

2. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

Here are a few ideas which you might try... Some seem like they might be helpful, others not so much so...

http://www.ehow.com/how_1031_prevent...s-pecking.html

We have plenty of woodpeckers too, but we also have vinyl siding. The most actual "damage" they do is to the utility poles (for the security lights) in the yard. If any of those get damaged too badly, it'll cost a bit (money, of course, plus time and trouble) having them replaced. Other than that, the woodpeckers stay mostly in the trees, especially the ones near the biggest birdfeeders...which they continually raid, but we don't mind...we actually encourage it.

3. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Peckers are scared of owls. I've got a plastic owl stuck on the back of my house for the purpose of keeping them away. It seems to work.

*** Edit *** After some quick research, I realize that I am once again full of shit.

"Visual Repellents

Preliminary research indicates that 7-1/2 inch diameter shaving or cosmetic mirrors that enlarge the image and hawk silhouette mobiles are successful frightening devices.
    Mirrors should be placed on the side of the house where damage occurs (see Figure 1B). Attach one or two mirrors flat to the wood with the enlarging lens outward to frighten woodpeckers. Mirrors may be purchased at drug or department stores.

Hawk mobiles with a wing span of about 22 inches and a length of 11 inches, can be constructed from cardboard, 1/2 inch Styrofoam, or 1/4 inch plywood (see Figure 1A). Paint black or another dark color. Hang one hawk mobile from the eave near the damaged area with monofilament line.

Black plastic strips (cut from 4 or 6 mil plastic) 1 to 1-1/2 inches wide and 2 to 3 feet long, Mylar strips, pinwheels with reflective vanes, or aluminum pie tins (preferably 12 inches in diameter), may also be placed near the damaged area to frighten woodpeckers. Allow the wind to blow the strips, pinwheels, and pie tins freely. Owl effigies generally are unsuccessful for frightening woodpeckers.

Where woodpeckers are persistent, use two or more of the above frightening devices simultaneously."

Brad

4. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

This is the best forum in the universe.

5. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

I've got one that is trying to make its home in my main vent pipe on my roof, which is metal, and it amplifies the sound throughout the ductwork in the house. I thought my furnace was going to explode the 1st time I heard it (since I didn't know that it was a woodpecker at 1st). Gonna have to try some of those suggestions you listed Brad.

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    The voices in my head tell me there's a forum on Tau Ceti that kicks HTF's ass. [​IMG]

They're no help with the woodpeckers, though.

7. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

But wait, there's more... courtesy of the Colorado State University Cooperative Extension.

Note: this is advice regarding Colorado woodpeckers and may not necessarily apply to woodpeckers in your region. Consult your local cooperative extension office for local advice. Or if you live near Tau Ceti, just use your transmogrification ray to change them into something tasty. [​IMG]

Brad

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I like Woodpeckers, being the movie nut that I am, everytime i'm outside and I hear one going to town in the trees somewhere, it sounds EXACTLY like i'm being hunted and targeted by a...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

So the best way to protect yourself from woodpeckers is to cover yourself with mud and try not to move when the bird is scanning its environment? [​IMG]

You definitely don't want to try to kill the bird near your house. When wounded, it will launch its self-destruction device that could possibly obliterate the entire neighbourhood.

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    LOL, I was actually referring to the sound that WP make when they get to pecking at a tree, it's the same gutteral "clicking" sound that the Predator made in the film's, I wouldn't be surprised if that actually was the sound effect they used.

11. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That explains why I never have more than one date while wearing my Hedwig t-shirt from Harry Potter.

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Mossberg model 500. Available for a very reasonable price from your local sporting goods retailer.

13. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    "Woodpecker repellant"? There's a Pinocchio joke in there somewhere.

14. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean

Sounds like the start of a great cartoon. [​IMG]

15. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I don't know if I totally agree with this... my experience has been is plastic owls only have a certain range of effectiveness. If I put an owl on my back deck, the woodpeckers would move to another side of the house... but they never went in the back.

I'll tell ya what did work: I lived in a cedar house and once I had it re-stained, the woodpeckers moved over to the neighbors.

16. Robbie R

Robbie R Stunt Coordinator

Make a "mobile" out of old CD's. (like the ones AOL keeps sending you in the mail) The "CD Mobiles" work great for keeping birds away from fruit trees, and anywhere else they are unwanted.

As a bonus you can hang it from the rear view mirror of your car when you are finished scaring the birds away [​IMG]

Or you can try some of the products at

www.absolutebirdcontrol.com/woodpecker.htm

17. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I had a landlord who used a pellet gun. He was in his 70's, but I saw him hit a crow in the head at 20 yards. Couldn't use a shotgun in residential areas, otherwise he probably would have. That man hated crows, jays and woodpeckers with a murderous passion.[​IMG]