Wood vs. metal speaker stands--pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyTone, Oct 15, 2002.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

From what I've read, metal speaker stands are more preferable than wooden ones so...is there that much of a sonic difference when placing a speaker on a wooden stand vs. that of a metal one? Or to put it another way--is there something about a wooden stand that would make someone say "No way would I buy a wooden one..."?

While I'm on the subject of speaker stands--anyone know of an affordable (< $75/pr) one that can support adequately support JBL S26II and S38 and is at least 36" in height?

Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No there is no reason I can think of that I wouldn't buy a wooden stand, but the natural resonance of wood vs metal is different. Sonically, I don't think it makes a noticable difference.
    36" is fairly high for these speakers, unless you will be standing the S38 horizontally, in which case, the S26's tweeter will be much higher. I don't think you will find many decent metal stands that can handle those speakers, size wise, in that price range. Both of those speakers are fairly large for bookshelf speakers.
    You are shooting for roughly ear level when seated for the mains, and ideally, the same height for the rears if you will be using stands all around.
    Check out www.partsexpress.com for some inexpensive stands.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

As a continuation of this post, for monitor/bookshelf-type speakers, will anything heavy and solid work? I mean would a couple cinder blocks stacked up suffice for a solid stand?(assuming they get the same height) Can i just spend 20 bucks for equally adequate stands? Or is there somthing "special" about hollow metal stands, besides looking nicer?

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    You want something solid that will couple the speaker to the mass of the floor. Steel is more dense and will do a better job (vs. wood). Hollow stands allow you to fill the stand with sand or lead shot (more weight & mass). BlueTak is a good way of ensuring that the speaker doesn't slip around on the stand.

I would be concerned about the wood resonating (esp. if the stand is hollow and not filled). You should be able to find some steel stands that can be filled for ~$75.

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Cinder blocks should in theory make excellent stands, as they would offer very little, virtuaally no, resonance at all. (Just make sure to protect the finish on the speakers from the rough surface of the cinder blocks!)

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I may have a very good solution to your problem in your price range. E-mail me at [email protected] for details.

7. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

Just go to home depot and get those sono tubes fill them with cement, -- first cut of desired length then paint-fabric to your theme.. those tubes come in a few sizes.

Will

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm using some stands i bought at circuit city. they're similar to these:
    chicago speaker stands
    easy to assemble, stable, attractive and inexpensive.
    regarding resonance. i actually think that wood would have less resonance? it seems like the metal stands would be more prone to "ringing"? not sure...just wondering.

9. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

John--here are the particulars in my scenario:

1--when I'm sitting down, ear level is approx 40" from the ground...unless I slouch down in my sofa, in which case ear level is approx 36";

2--sofa height is approx 36.5"; would this necessarily mean that I would have to get rear stands around that height, or can I get by with slightly lower rear surround stands if they sit a few feet (behind the sofa and as long as I can keep the tweets more or less at ear level?

3--JBL "recommends" that the S38 be positioned horizontally; any anecdotal evidence that they acoustically sound as good in a vertical position?

4--Unfortunately, the front and rear of my HT area is such that the only placement option for my speakers is to use stands, especially keeping in mind the WAF as far as decor is concerned, hence my search for stands that can support the 28-lb weight of the S38.

10. Mark.du

Mark.du Auditioning

If you've got an IKEA store near you, I just picked up a pair of 36" stands for my rears there for only $30. They each consist of a six-inch square concrete block with four steel tubes rising up to a small platform to mount the speaker on. The wires can be run through one of the tubes to the speaker. Taste is subjective, of course, but I think they look kind of cool, in an industrial sort of way. And the price is sure right.

They're not shown on the IKEA website, otherwise you could see for yourself!