Wood filling options

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunge, May 22, 2001.

1. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Guys,
    I have one small blemish on one of my subwoofer cabinets that I'm currently building and need to know what's the best thing to use as a wood filler. I know standard wood filler has a bad habit of shrinking as it dries. I also know someone here has recommended something else that does not shrink and is sandable, but cannot seem to remember what the product was.
    Could someone kindly point me in the right direction? Hopefully this is something that can be found at Home Depot or Lowe's!
    Thanks,
    Brian
    ------------------

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

3. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Good old Joint Compound works great too. Cheap, quick drying, easy to sand, what more could you want? Just make sure you prime it before you do your finish coat.
    Only problem is it's not stainable.
    Rob
    ------------------
    Rob Lloyd
    Rob's Web Page

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'm using this on MDF so I won't need to stain it. I'm actually going to prime the cabinet and then paint it. Is joint compound different than bondo? Would I have to go to an auto parts store for joint compound?
    Brian
    ------------------

5. Rob Lloyd

Bondo is a car filler/patch material (it's general use). It's like an expoxy if I remember correctly. You mix the 2 parts up and spread it on. It gets hot as the chemical process hardens it rock hard. I think you can only get that in a place that sells auto parts.
    Joint Compound is very cheap - $2 for a pint, $10 for 5 gallons. You can also use Spackle. Same stuff only dried faster and pennies more. You can get JC or Spackle almost anywhere at a hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, super markets.
    JC is VERY easy to sand compared to bondo. You can even use a slightly wet sponge to smooth it out. All you need is a spatula like device to spread it around smoothly. It dries in about 10 minutes too. Bondo is rock hard and will require much more elbow grease to smooth out.
    I'd Use: JC for filling small pin holes, smoothing out a slightly (1/16" or less) uneven edge, filling hairline cracks.
    Bondo would be better for larger holes (Opps, that tweeter hole doesn't go there), filling voids, etc. But if you have that large a crack or hole it's probably better to start over.
    Rob
    ------------------
    Rob Lloyd
    Rob's Web Page

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Auto body spot puttyworks great for small defects.
    Pete
    ------------------

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Rob,
    Thanks for the information! Sounds like JC is exactly what I need! I'll get some this afternoon so I can be ready to paint this weekend!
    Thanks again!
    Brian
    ------------------

8. Rob Lloyd

If you put it on today you can paint today. As long as it's not 1/4" think it should dry in about 10 minutes. Sand it very lightly w/ 150 grit (make sure you don't breath in the dust). A quick cleanup w/ a tack rag or vacuum w/ brush attachment and you're ready to prime it.
    Good stuff to have on hand if you need to patch walls too!
    Rob
    ------------------
    Rob Lloyd
    Rob's Web Page