Wood Block Carving

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JamieD, Jan 9, 2004.

1. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

So I don't know where else on the web to ask this, but if anyone can help/direct me, it'd be good.

I found some nice candle holders at Wal-Mart, they're square glass, about 1 inch high. What I thought of afterwards, was how cool they'd look partly recessed in a block of oak. I was thinking of getting a piece of oak (maybe 2x5, 2 feet long) sinking the glass holders about 3/4 of an inch in, and there you go. But I have no idea how to cut the recess in the middle of the piece of wood. I could drill some holes, and then chisel, but that hardly seems the thing. Any suggestions?

2. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

And I think I just figured out what would be perfect. A router. Dang. Won't have access to one of those right away.

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    A router will not result in a square hole. Either drill/route and chisel or use a mortiser for the entire operation. I would suggest drill and then chisel unless you know someone with woodworking equipment.

4. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Before you start you have to decide is how smooth do you want the inside bottom of the hole you make.

If you don't care by all means use a Forstner drill bit and a chisel to square off you holes.

If you want the smoothest as possible bottom then use a router and then square off the corners with a chisel.

A mortising bit in a drill press or a dedicated mortising machine will not only drill the hole but it will also square it off. Unfortunately this technique leaves a very dimpled bottom.

If I were going to make the holder I would use the router and chisel.

If you do use a router you'll find it easier if you step down to your final depth. Trying to go to your final depth in one pass could burn the bit and make the going harder.