What's new

Woo! Imax 3D theater opened on my block! (1 Viewer)

Eric F

Screenwriter
Impressions? I'm dying to see the Space Station 3D movie, but I'm a bit wary of the shutter glasses thing. In the past they've given me a headache. Has the technology improved?

They also have plans to start playing 1st run films in the future. Admission fee for Imax films are $8.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I've seen Space Station 3-D at the Aquarium, and the glasses worked fine. They're not really "shutter" glasses, just polarized material. Wasn't a problem.

Oh, and BTW, is it an easy walk to Jordan's Furniture And Giant Screen Movies from the Commuter Rail station? I'm guessing they'll probably have Apollo 13 and Treasure Planet there, but if we're talking 45 minutes on the train, then walk two miles, and repeat afterward...

Eric F

Screenwriter
Ah, ok, thanks. I must have misunderstood the technology because I got the impression that they used the LCD glasses, like they did with video-style 3d. But of course IMAX is film, so I was wondering how they managed it. Just green shaded paper glasses or is it something else?
Check out their website:
Link Removed
There's a shuttle bus (The Lift) and all sorts of local shuttles (free transfer) from the Framingham and West Natick T stops that runs up to Shopper's World. I assume they'll add a new stop for the Imax Theater, but you migth want to call and ask them about it. If enough people ask I'm sure they'll add it.
Link Removed

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Hey Eric,
I'm in north Framingham. I'm really happy that Jordan's put the Imax in. My wife and I like to go to the Imax movies but it's hard to get out when you've got a toddler. It's going to be much easier to go to rte. 9 than going in to Boston at night or on a weekend.
I've haven't been to the 3D Imax at the aquarium yet so I'm looking forward to see how it is.
Have you seen the sign in front of the store? One of the lines has "Bose Home Theater Store". :thumbsdown:

Eric F

Screenwriter
I haven't been up to the theater yet, maybe this weekend. I still find it odd that Jordan's would use all these other incentives to buy furniture. Oh well, their money. Nice to have that theater in the neighborhood at any rate. Considering there aren't many Imax theaters altogether it almost makes up for the fact that ATT Broadband's cable tv offering is sucky. Well, maybe not.

Whether you like their products or not, Bose is a member of the Framingham community, and they do alot of good public projects. I work with the State and Bose definately donates alot of money to good causes.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So... With it located in a furniture store, what are the odds of this being the most comfortable theater ever? :)

Eric F

Screenwriter
They must have a hell of alot of money. They're probably the only retail chain that does stuff like this. You'ld think selling furniture was secondary to everything else.
Last year they took all their employees on a paid vacation to Miami or somewhere for a week didn't they?

Comfortable? I bet you they just went with whatever the Imax standard was for seating. I'll find out soon enough. Might put in for a job over there too. I'd really like to get a look in the projection room.

They'll probably be doing alot of school groups now that the new season has started (where has the year gone?).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Amazingly enough, I've read that Jordan's actually leads the country in $/sqft for furniture stores, even including the wacky stuff. I suppose the IMAX movies and Mardi Gras et al are like the loss-leader CDs and DVDs at Best Buy - they either get you in the door, or just make the place stick out in your mind - you'll likely remember Jordan's first and more positively when you need that sofa.

And, yeah, they've got a heck of a lot of money since Warren Buffett bought them out a couple years ago.

Still, I have to admit that my first thought when I initially read about this last year was "italian leather stadium seating..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks