Woo Hoo!!!! Met John Williams today!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian W. Ralston, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    Wow....what a day! John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma were at a Costco in Culver City today promoting William's new cello concerto and his American Journey CD. My friends and I got there early (but not as early as some), and were about in the middle of the long line to get their signatures.

We made it up there thank goodness at around 4:15PM They had to leave at 4:30. He was gracious enough to sign my Phantom Menace Double Sided movie poster. I told him there were a few of us there who were in USC's film scoring program and he stopped, put down his pen and shook my hand and said, "Well...thank you for coming down here today." One of the Sony Classical lady's standing near by started to step in and say Mr. Williams is only signing CDs today, but I think because we were young film composers from USC's program.....he signed the posters anyway despite here stepping in.

Unfotunately for many others, they had to stop the signiture line due to Williams and MA having to leave to get ready for a concert tonight. Williams went down the line though and graciously shooks everyone's hand apologizing that he did not have time to stay and sign their CDs.

The problem was that there were people at the front of the line at the beginning of the session that had literally bags of items for him to sign. One guy had at least 15-20 items and you know what, at first, Williams as signing them. This caused the line to not hardly move for a long while. Then they limited the signings to just one or two things per person. I just wanted my poster signed for my music studio (but he signed the CD as well anyway).

Anyway.....what highlight to the week. Just thought I would share.

2. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

That's awesome man! I'm happy for ya Brian. It's funny you mention this, as I just ordered this limited exclusive Film Score Monthly cd...
    [​IMG]
    They have less than 100 left, so if you're interested, you may want to head over there. But then, it sounds like you may already know about it.
    Towering Inferno FSM Exclusive cd

3. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Thats awesome. I'd love to meet John Williams and have him sign something. I envy you.

4. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

John Williams at Costco?! That's a pretty strange place to have a signing! I was thinking of attending Sunday's concert, but I never got around to going.

I've met John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, and Elmer Bernstein each twice, and all were very kind and gracious.

5. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    Justin.....I thought the same thing. John Williams' at Costco!

We asked one of the Sony reps there why Costco and he said that Costco was the world's largest retailer of Sony Classical CDs and that is why Williams and Yo-Yo Ma appeared at a Costco. That I did not know.

But I guess the question now is.......why the Costco in Culver City? That I do not know.....but is was a very nice costco. Probably one of the newer stores. Who knows.

6. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Congratulations Brian, on meeting John Williams. Next thing we know, you'll be telling us how you're working with him. All right, all right, maybe *after* you graduate! [​IMG]
    -Peter
    [​IMG]

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

why can't John Williams come to my Costco in Fort Lauderdale? I'd love to meet him.
    Hey John... how about a nationwide Costco tour? [​IMG]

9. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I have had the privilege of meeting Mr. Williams on more than one occasion. I used to manage a large Deli near a concert venue(Great Woods, it was called, but now it's the Tweeter Center) in Massachusetts back in the early 90's. The Boston Pops did concerts there fairly regularly. Mr Williams came into the store a couple of different times to get food and i was one of the few to recognize him. Of course I had to tell him that he was my favorite composer(tried not to make a fool of myself in the process!) He was cool and i got his autograph. It was pretty exciting to meet the man who composed some of the greatest movie scores of all time!!!