Woo-hoo! Let's hear it for greedy athletes and hypocrites......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Corbin Stirn, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

I'm a Indian fan and I can't stand it anymore. Thome is going to Philadelphia for $85 million over 6 years. Cleveland offered him $60 million over 5 years. He took the money and Philly. This after he said numerous times, "don't trade me! I don't want to go anywhere else. I love Cleveland...I want to end my carrer here." So Cleveland stretches and offers more for him than they really wanted. But they want him back, he says he wants to come back, etc. So they offer him $12 million(!!) a year. Phillies offer him 14.5 million a year. Mr. Indians leaves for more money. WTF?[​IMG]
    What, are his kids going to go without clothes or something on ONLY $12,000,000.00 a year? That extra 2.5 mean that much? My god, you would think after you get past $10 million(!!), what difference does it make? It's more money than anyone could possibly spend. Now, this is not to bash Philly or their fans, but I hope this deal blows up in their face. This is the kind of crap that gives baseball a bad name. Loyalty? What loyalty?[​IMG]
    Reason why I want this to implode...2-3 years from now, when Thome may be in bad sorts(back and just plain age catching up with him), this deal will hamstring the Phillies. An AWFUL lot of money will be tied with Thome, which will probably keep them from signing or re-signing some players to keep them competitive. After watching teams make foolish deals, this could be a deal that General Manangers will look at years from now and not make these same kinds of outrageous signings. It's great when the Yankees do it(I love how much they were paying Hitchcock last year to do NOTHING!), but I don't like seeing it happen to a team like the Phils. I wish them luck....in 3 years, you gonna be screaming for your GM's head over this.
    And as for Thome? words cannot BEGIN to describe my disgust with him, especially because of the way he talked about staying these last 2 years. Un-BUH-lievable! Athletes never cease to astound and amaze me. I did like Thome(a lot) but not anymore. I don't boo people when I go to games, but he would definitely be one I would from now on. Any comments from the Indians crowd? Any from the Phillie crowd? Realize that you and Cleveland are very similiar when it comes to baseball markets(payroll, fan base, etc..) Can't wait to hear the comments.....

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

It's been said that if the Indians would have offered this deal 12 months ago...he'd still be in Cleveland. There was also huge pressure applied by the players union for Thome to take top dollar too---he sort of *sets the market* so they say.
    I think a lot of issues were at work here, not just the extra 20(?) million which certainly didn't hurt [​IMG]
    TV

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

4. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

5. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I think that as soon as fans realize there is no team loyalty no matter what the players or owners say in public, no one will be surprised or disappointed when these things happen.

I have many more thoughts on the subject but that pretty much sums it up.

OK, just 1 more thing. $2.5 million per year difference is nothing to "balk" at. That's a 25% increase. All other things considered and being equal (which they probably are not, but so?) why not take the extra money? Whatever the market will bear, right?. Would you turn it down?

6. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

It's definately reached a point where fans have to start cheering for their local team's colors alone as they probably don't recognize the players. Me? I've taken the attitude that a game is merely a 3-hour diversion, much like a movie. It's all about entertainment value. If the team played well and won then it was a good entertainment value. I also don't get worked up about my team making the playoffs and winning championships since it's obvious that the players/owners aren't doing it for the fans anymore.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Hopefully it'll bankrupt the Phillies and they'll be forced to sell their new monument to corporate welfare

8. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

On another point I'm glad to see him out of the American league.
    He always killed the Twins. He's like some sort of curse for the Twins. Thomes steps up to bat and bam another home run and Indians rally to win.
    Good Ridance and the Twins should easily win the Central Division now!!
    [​IMG]
    Paul

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Corbin
    Only one thing to do, Root for the Mud Hens!
    Never have to worry about the greedy athletes on that level.
    Is the new ballpark any good?
    Grant

10. Mike_Stuewe

Mike_Stuewe Stunt Coordinator

Hey Corbin I am a die hard Indians fan as well. As far as Thome goes, big freakin deal. By the time this team gets goin, and our prospects start to gel, Thome will be in the 35 year old range, and possibly with back problems. Now if he were still with the Tribe, that would have worked fine because he could just D.H. when Burks leaves in a year or two. But now that he is in the N.L., he is pretty much gonna be screwed unless he stays perfectly healthy. Playing first everyday is gonna be tough on that back of his.

Personally I thought 15 million was way too high for Jimmy, I would rather spend that money on a couple of guys to fill out our lineup.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

How can anyone be surprised anymore by a professional athlete simply taking the money? What did you really expect? Loyalty? The game coming first? [​IMG]

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The footage is all over the news. Why am I reminded of a scene from Baseketball?
    (paraphrase)

"After 2 seasons in New York, 3 in Los Angeles, 2 in Chicago not counting one year as a greeter at the Desert Inn, It's good to be right here, playing for the city of Miami!"
    "MINNESOTA! "
    "Whatever!"

The new stadium won't be finished for another 18 months, so who knows how it is. It's an unnecessary split of what used to be a dual-purpose facility. They could have just totally replaced the turf in the Vet and done some repairs to it and everything would have been fine. It certainly wouldn't have run $700 million of our money.

My letters insisting on the return of my share have gone unheeded

13. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Hopefully it'll bankrupt the Phillies and they'll be forced to sell their new monument to corporate welfare.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Sell it? NAAHH!!! They would just go back to the trough for more. So I think you had better pray that they succeed. Anyway, you guys should be used to it. After all, the average American has been taking it on the chin for the last two decades providing welfare for destitute billionaires. Unfortunately the infection seems to have spread to other peoples countries as well.

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ooh, nasty, Grant. (I've watched minor league ball a number of times, and have wondered if I'm watching a more earnest game or if I'm just indulging in wishful thinking—reason being, a minor league infield is not to be taken for granted in the way a major league infield is, what with all this talk of porous borders and all. [​IMG])

15. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

I've taken it a step further. I no longer care.

16. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Why do people begrudge performers like athletes, movie Stars, musicians but say nary a word about the executives making money hand over fist for owning and or managing lousy teams?

I also wonder if the author of this thread would have started it if Thome got the same amount of money but stayed with Cleveland? Doubtful.

17. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Can't fault Thome for taking the money and running. He needs the few extra mil so he can spend money like these guys.

18. Grant B

Grant B Producer

19. andrew markworthy

We have a similar position in UK soccer, if it's any consolation.

There is of course an easy way to solve the problem of players getting paid obscene amounts of money - stop watching the games. The reason teams can pay ludicrous wages is because they have gate receipts and TV royalties, spin-off merchandising, etc, to support it. If people are truly disgusted, then they should boycott such events. A mass boycott would bring teams to their knees in a very short space of time.

Trouble is, most folks are happy to beef about ludicrous payments to players, but then they've got to get their fix of watching a ball being hit round a field ...

20. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

It's all about the bling-bling. Or it's just capitalism.

I wish I could spend $55,000 on a watch. I'm just happy I've pulled in about $15,000 this YEAR.