Woo Hoo I just got broadband at home!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

Sorry I just had to post my joy! [​IMG] But now I have to go to work and sit 9 hours before I can come home and enjoy it. Its going to be a long day [​IMG]

2. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Lucky bastard...give us some more details. What Brand and what kind?

I'm still trying to rationalize whether it's worth the $50/month. Is it THAT much faster than 56k?

3. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Nice Isn't It?!? [​IMG]
    You'll never go back...
    HAve Fun,
    Brian

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    If I, the ultimate cheapskate, can justify spending $50 a month on broadband then it must be worth it. In my new house I don't have cable tv (I can get by on PBS, NBC, and snowy CBS via rabbit ears) I don't have a landline telephone (cell is good enough for me) and I haven't been grocery shopping in the two months that I've lived here (makes me wonder why the hell I bought that stove and refrigerator) but I absolutely refuse to do without my cable modem[​IMG]

5. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Nothing like broadband, I always say!

Now, make sure you get yourself a firewall and an anti-virus program, if you don't already have them. That 24/7 connection makes your machine inviting to hackers, and a firewall will keep 'em out.

Zone Alarm is a good personal firewall, as is Norton Internet Security (firewall & anti-virus bundled in a single package).

KJP

7. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Once you go broadband, you never go back! [​IMG]

8. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Carl, that's about the funniest and best testimonial I've heard for any product in a long time. You've got me reconsidering.
    I've begun to wonder what the hell I need cable tv for...I rarely watch it. I could easily transfer the cost of that into broadband. And I use my cell phone almost exclusively (especially with the free long distance). But, damn,...no grocery shopping in two months?!!! What in blazes are you chewing on, your old lampshades? [​IMG]

9. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Agreed that once you've had broadband, you can never go back. I have a T1 connection at work and when I had to go home to the 56K line it was dreadful. Now my home connection is faster at times than my work connection. [​IMG] $45 is steep--double that of a dial-up ISP--but the speed increase easily makes it worthwhile.

10. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I love my cable modem and will NEVER go back to dialup. Of course, the phone lines in my apartment are pretty old so the fastest I got on dialup was 26.4. Pretty sad, huh? Anyway, for $50/month I not only get super fast internet, I get free basic cable too (well supposed to). Due to a glitch or something, I seem to get full cable with HBO. Not sure how that happened but I'm not complaining.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I've always heard bad things about cable modem (slowdown, traffic, security, etc.) but I've had Roadrunner / now / ATT Broadband for 2 years and have loved every minute! I go to www.2wire.com and use their bandwith meter, and I consistently get between 1200-2000kbps scores at any time of the day/night. I have a few friends with DSL and my connection is at least 2x as fast! As far as security, I have a Netgear router which has built in firewalls that seem to stop malicious traffic. I've not had a security problem and I routinely pass the Shields Up! tests with flying colors.
    Now cable modem is one of those "necessities" that I will have to hook up immediately if I ever move out of my apartment - along with power, phone & gas. [​IMG]

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have my new DSL modem all hooked up... now only if that little green light would come on, I would be in BUSINESS! [​IMG]

13. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

DSL does indeed rock. Early adopter here - had it since 97 and it's been spendy, but worth it. I've now got a 384k SDSL line and it's rock solid...

14. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

I got a deal through Midco.net $30 a month including the ISP. I had to pay (overpay)$129 for the Cable modem. Free install and network card. The guy to hooked it up was nice and "accidently" left an extra network card (he noticed I had another older system right next to my newer one):b The speed is nice. Is 327kbs good when downloading a file? [​IMG]
    I got Norton internet security and antivirus for free when they came in for our training at work. Only 3 1/2 hours left at work[​IMG]

15. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

For any of those on dialup that don't think that broadband may be worth it, then I dare you to attempt these speeds on a diaup!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice in the pix that those are BIG KB. To see the kilobits just multiply by 8!
    Gah..I need to edit the white nothingness out of the images when I get home!

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It's definitely worth the money compared to modem. I had cable internet and it was really fast, at least 120kB/s downloads. When I bought this computer I got a year's MSN for free, so I don't have cable modem now (it can't beat FREE, yes I'm a cheapskate [​IMG]), but I'm pretty sure I'll get the cable modem hooked up again as soon as this free year is over.
    The biggest advantage to me is that it's always connected and that it's much faster for file transfer such as program and virus updates.
    /Mike

17. Peter Burtch

Peter Burtch Stunt Coordinator

18. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

19. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Test completed...
    Bandwidth = 3222.7 Kbps

Most times when I get "slow" downloads I find that I'm limited by the bandwidth of the server I'm connected to, and my own internet connection isn't the bottleneck. Trust me, that's a good feeling to have.

I've been a cable user for over two years now, and in that time I've had less than five prolonged (more than a couple of hours) service outages. Much better track record than I ever had with dialup. (This is with Insight Broadband, formerly known as AT&T Broadband, formerly known as [email protected] Your mileage may vary.)

20. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I am supposed to be getting wireless next month, pray for me. I have been on dial-up, the only connection available around here, since I got on the internet. I considered satellite, but I don't feel like paying $700 for equipment and then $70/month and not even being able to play on-line games. I hope satellite internet dies a painful death. Oh yeah, in case your curios, my maximum connection speed is 26.4 kbps. [​IMG] [​IMG]