What's new

Woo-hoo!! College classes cancelled today!!! (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Hehe, I'm one happy man. Wednesday's are my busiest days of classes, and they're cancelled!
We're getting hit pretty hard with snow right now, but we had freezing rain/sleet all last night. Thank you Mother Nature!
Sorry, just had to share my enjoyment!! :D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Gee, it was 69°F here around NYC yesterday and this morning's bike commute was a balmy 45°F I actually didn't wear my fleece bike jacket and was still kind of warm. Chance of scattered showers this afternoon but cooling down and possibly freezing rain up north tonight and into tomorrow.

No snow in sight except maybe in the catskills and adirondacks..

Jay

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Currently 67° here in Arkansas. Last night was about 71° at my house. It's raining now, so it's cooling off a little. Beginning tomorrow, looking at highs in the 50s and lows in the 20s.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
College was still a go for Northern VA. 71° for a high. People were wearing shorts and T-shirts!! And to think a couple of weeks ago we had 3-4 inches of snowfall. I want more!!!

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
It's cold here in MN but still above average, and it's only going to get warmer, it appears. I haven't seen this little snow in probably 14 years, back when I was a wee lad. You can see the brown grass...not a common sight in January.
I don't mind the rest of the country getting all the snow :) Although I could use a bit more snow on the slopes so I don't have to snowboard on that crappy fake snow...

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
it's bloody cold up here in alberta

it's been around -30celsius the last couple days, but still very very little snow. I can't wait to get out to the ski hills, but so far it hasn't been worth the effort.

and on a sidenote - i was in my last class today at noon when the power went out to the whole universeity. our university is almost entirely made of cement with very few windows (think depressing) so i'd imagine this afternoons classes would almost all be cancelled as well.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
It's 81 degrees here in Richmond, VA today. Un-freakin-believable! So much for skiing anytime soon!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Wow, they actually cancel classes when you get freezing rain and sleet? Lucky you.
When I lived in Maine, no one, and I mean no one ever considered giving us a break regardless of the weather, storms, freezing rain, giant blocks of black ice over the road, blizzards, you name it.
I hate to sound like Cranky Old Man but if I didn't have my car shoveled out by 7 AM, I was basically screwed.
Right on, though! Enjoy yer day! :D
Joseph

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I expect classes here to be cancelled Friday (morning, at least). Check out this forecast:
Snow beginning b/w 5 and 8 AM Thursday. Snowing all morning and afternoon. 4-8 inch accumulation, then changing to sleet in the late afternoon/early evening. Sleet all night, then changing to freezing rain overnight Thursday into Friday, at least 1/2 an inch of freezing rain accumulation. Freezing rain changing to rain Friday morning, raining into the afternoon, and changing back into snow before it ends Friday afternoon.
4-8 inches of snow, with sleet, 1/2 an inch+ of ice, and rain on top of that. It's gonna be a messy next couple of days. I love it. :D

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Saw a news report last night -- there was apparently snowfall in various parts of LA yesterday afternoon, including West Covina and Malibu! Means nothing to me, ultimately (having grown up in New York, snowfall to me just means imminent lakes of gray/brown slush on the streets), but I would imagine the average native Angeleno must've thought nuclear winter was here or something....

CharlesD

Screenwriter
We've been having freezing rain and sleet here in Johnson County non-stop for the past 30 hours... the guys out in Manhattan are having it easy as its turned to snow by now.

I am surprised the power hasn't gone out yet!

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm about 40 miles south of Topeka and we've had non-stop freezing rain all day today. And I do mean all day. I think it's been raining for at least 12 hours straight so far. I work in Ottawa (also about 40 miles from where I live) and had to do 40 mph in a 65 all the way home this morning. I called in tonight. No way in hell I was gonna chance it. The city streets are terrible, and my father-in-law works for KDOT and he said that the highways were horrible all day today. Hopefully it will be a little better tomorrow (payday:) ).
Dan

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Well I spoke too soon... all night last night I saw flashes of transformers going off, my power went out around 4 this morning (I'm posting from work) and there are trees down everywhere. 275,000+ homes are without power in the KC area this morning, and more ice is forecast! It could be days before everyone gets electricity back.

PhilipW

Second Unit
Same here in OKC. Most schools are closed in fear of losing power. Great thing about it though is my wife gets paid time and a half when the school closes.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks