What's new

Woo hoo! Becket (1964) FINALLY on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've waited a long time for this excellent film and if you're a fan of "The Lion in Winter" then you'll love Peter O'Toole's earlier performance as the same King Henry II in this 1964 film.

Crawdaddy

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, shit yeah! :D :D :D
Saw this and speed-surfed over to MPI's website, where I only found this small blurb:
Coming soon on DVD: Becket
CoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCo olCool!
Or, to put this in my customary manner:
[rant]Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (dances around the room naked!)[/rant]

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
It's one of my favorite movies, but I have never seen BECKET in widescreen or in stereo. I can just imagine how incredible it's going to be.

I feel like I'm being spoiled - so many of my favorites are coming out on DVD in the first half of 2003, it's hard to believe.

--Bill

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Great news. I haven't seen this in 25 years. For those interested, "Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Four Kings" by Amy Kelly (1950) is an excellent history of this period. The book will add tremendous depth to the movies ("Becket" and "The Lion in Winter"), especially for those who, like me, are weak in 12th century European history.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I've seen this film in the cinema and have the VHS version. I'm very glad a DVD version arrives now! Hoped for it ever since The Lion in Winter came out.
Great news!
Cees

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but try not to be overly optimistic about what you'll be getting. It's wonderful that MPI is finally letting this one out of the bag, but they have been notoriously fickle in terms of quality. Their laser release of this had a barely acceptable transfer with constantly shifting colors, plus a rather awful sort-of stereo soundtrack, and I don't think MPI is known for restoration. I'd be expecting the same transfer on the DVD. Better than nothing, of course, and I could be wrong (hope I am!)

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm not expecting much, but anything would have to be better than the VHS version, which is my only other option. If only Criterion could have got their hands on this film...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've had a full screen version of 'Becket' for donkeys years, and now I'll finally be able to see it in all its widescreen glory [wipes tear], great film, great acting! O'Toole played the same part, King Henry II, in 'The Lion in Winter', another great film.

"Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?"

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I hate to kill someone's sales, I really must be honest about what is occurring with this title.

MPI, which is the owner of Becket via the Hal Wallis estate, has declined for years to create preservation elements on the film after they lost the original negative.

They recently allowed AMPAS to use their separation elements and create a new dupe negative.

But thiis preservation work will have nothing to do with the forthcoming dvd as MPI seems to be jumping the gun.

None of the effort going into the restoration of rotted mag tracks and recomping of picture elements, inclusive of a scene in which Becket and King Henry "frolic" with a local girl (from the international version) will be found on the new dvd.

From what I'm led to believe, the dvd will be created, as was the old laserdisc, from used 35mm dye transfer prints.

I would suggest that this dvd be avoided like the plague.

Those of you who have a need to send funds to MPI, might consider their release of the Zapruder film, which on dvd will enable you to view your former President's head exploding in slow motion.

Great entertainment for Christmas from MPI. Think of the gleam in a little boy or girl's eyes as they find the Zapruder film under the tree with their name on it.

It seems that one can always find class and quality on the MPI label.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mmm. Thanks for the update, Robert.
It's fortunate we stopped stoning the bearers of bad news... ;)
Cees

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Robert,

You induced a trip down memory lane. I remembered an early Playboy pictorial of the "frolic" you described. Back in the day that European audiences could see nudity on the screen, but Americans could only view photographs in a magazine. Interesting analogy to the "Eyes Wide Shut" situation. I guess that we still cannot tolerate the amount of sexuality to which our poor European cousins are subjected.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
None of the effort going into the restoration of rotted mag tracks and recomping of picture elements, inclusive of a scene in which Becket and King Henry "frolic" with a local girl (from the international version) will be found on the new dvd.
I never realised that this scene, with the local girl shown naked, was the international version. I saw the scene intact when it first opened in London but all subsequent UK TV screenings have shown an alternative version of the scene with the girl clothed. I always assumed that to be a TV version. I think there may have been other changes which I can't recall off hand. A pity we're not going to see a restored version of this film which I haven't seen for many years.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I hear you. And, thanks for the information. Nice to go into this with a clear understanding of what I would get for my money.

On the other hand, instead of avoiding it like the plague, I will support this version and at the same time encourage MPI to release an SE version when the restored elements are ready. If they can not or will not handle it, I will encourage them to license this to Criterion.

Finally, I would say that MPI is not all bad. Their Dark Shadows releases are quite enjoyable!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Great story, great acting. It's really about two men who have everything in common and are the best of friends, and one of them finds something else to do that his friend can not or will not share. Now the friend is utterly jealous and lonely, feeling betrayed in the extreme. What do you tend to do in these situations? Lash out, as hard as you can, of course. When you're the King of England in olden times, your temper tends to flare up with deadly consequences!
That is the story essentially told here: that of Thomas a Becket (Richard Burton), who was later named Saint Thomas, and his "betrayal" of his best friend, King Henry II (Peter O'Toole). Both of them explored some of the best depths of their acting here, and this is one not to be missed! Again, too bad the initial DVD will not be an effort worthy of this masterpiece. But I will find a way to enjoy it nonetheless, and push for the Special Edition! :)
Steve, the line you are looking for is this one: "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?"

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
can anybody tell me why Becket is so good ?
For one thing it has a superb script - literate, witty and thoroughly involving. It also contains possibly the best performances that Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton ever gave on screen - they are both magnificent, as are a host of talented supporting players.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
David / Douglas
Thanks for the info, looks like I will pre order this and hopefully this will also help towards a SE down the road
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks