What's new

Woo Hoo, Battlefield Earth on HD HBO tonight! (1 Viewer)

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
It's been pretty slow lately in HDTV programming so i'm looking forward to this even though the critics hated it!

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Battlefield Earth is pretty bad but not as bad as a lot of people would have you beleive. I've seen much much worse. Don't get me started.
I will watch it too for a little while, just because it's in HDTV.
------------------
"Hand over the remote and nobody gets hurt !!"

Bill_M

Agent
This was very watchable in HD. The nuances of color and shading were beautiful in HD. Watching it in NTSC made it worse than it is. I couldn't watch it in NTSC. I haven't seen the DVD but needless to say HD must be better.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Oh boy, 1080 lines of agonizing pain
For once, I'm glad I don't have an HD set(to self: What are you saying you fool! 10 months to go!)
Jeff Kleist

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Well I watched it and I liked it. Sure the plot had plenty of holes but it was very entertaining science fiction. The sound effects were great and the video was good in HD.
Holes:
How the heck could that american flight simulator just start right up when the natives found the site? Same with the video projector. I'm sure the electric company was still putting out AC after all that destruction, yeah right!
Jet Fuel????? Doesn't fuel age with time so that if it's sitting around for decades it wouldn't work worth crap if you loaded up a jet fighter 100 years in the future???
Those alien planes seem like a helicoptor the way they fly so explain how they get to washington DC and Texas so quickly? Wasn't the village in Colorado or did I miss something?

Dale Rabeneck

Auditioning
This was the first HD movie that I have watched since installing my DISH. The picture was in-line with a middle-of-the-road DVD transfer through my DVDO.
As for the quality of the movie, well, I didn't like it at all. I have not read this Hubbard work but am a big fan. Was the dialog good? No, not really, but it wasn't really awful. What about the acting? - I've seen much worse. Were there holes? Absolutely! Enough to pan the complete movie, well, almost.
But, my complaint lies mostly with the directing / editing. Two real problems include: the ton of slow motion sequences - for no apparent reason; and much of the movie was filmed on a 30 degree angle (go back and watch again, you can experience sea-sickness.)
Still really happy with my 6000 - regardless of my first HDTV movie.
------------------
----------------
Dale Rabeneck
[email protected]

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I agree with your comments Dale except for the angle shots. They might have been there to try and make the aliens appear much bigger than the humans. I think that worked well especially with Travolta.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks