What's new

Wont hold a 9 point convergence on my toshiba 42hdx82 (1 Viewer)

I have a brand new 1 week old rptv it is the 42" toshiba cinema series hdtv widescreen. Its 42hdx82 i think or something like that. Ive done the manual convergence about 3 times and its still not right. It seems fine and then the next day its totally out of wack. So i adjust again and it looks great. Next day its back to the way it was.
I thought maybe it needs a full convergence. Would that make it not hold a 9 point for longer than a day or is it not holding because of some other reason???
And if it is messed up should i call the techs for free service or should i return for a brand new one which will cost me $50 to do. Also i wondered if i should be worried about the flicker issue with this model? Is it really common or not????

Thanks for the help.

John Royster

Screenwriter
John,

During the first 100-200 hours your set will break-in and settle down. It is not uncommon for the convergence to drift.

With that being said make sure you let your set warm up for one hour before doing the convergence.

Thanks for the advice. It really helps! Anyone else have anything to say?
Also.. What if the problem does not correct itself? Maybe im doing it wrong. It seemed pretty simple. Make the red and blue hide behind the white crosses right? Should i do this with lights off/on? Should i do it looking directly at the tv from 3-5 feet or should i get really close to the tv to make sure the lines are completely hidden? Should my color, contrast, tint, and brightness and all that be set first or second? When i move one of the convergence points does that change the others a little or should i be able to set them all once and then leave it alone. Is there any other tips or anything you can help a newbie with? Anything at all????
Thanks a ton!

James Edward

Supporting Actor
As stated by John, it'll drift the first 100-200 hrs, so don't obsess over it just yet.
You should keep the lights as low as possible or off, it makes seeing the lines easier.
My ISF tech does the convergence sitting in a chair about 3-4 feet away.
There is probably very little interaction between convergence and brightness/contrast, I wouldn't worry which goes first. This is provided either is not WAY out of whack.
The only service menu adjustment I have the balls to do is the 56 point convergence. Go to the hometheaterspot.com and look for the procedure. Look it over a lot, and when your set has over 100 hours, consider doing it. It works over a much broader range than the 9 point user menu convergence. If you do it 2-3 times, it will 'teach' the touch focus feature the settings.
And the convergence lines are somewhat interactive. Moving green on one side of the set could affect it on the other side in some way.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Step 1...let the TV warm up for about 30 minutes before adjusting anything! If you're checking and adjusting the convergence right after you turn the set on, that could explain your problems. With that said, my 42HDX82 is about a month old and it's convergence is just now settling down.

If you normally don't use the speakers in the TV, check them. If they don't work, call for service as it could be tied into your convergence problem if there indeed is one.

You don't need to 'teach' the Touch Focus system anymore like you did on the H81/HX81. It usually works perfectly the first time.

James Edward

Supporting Actor

The 56 pt. convergence can be 'taught' to the 'Touch Focus' feature on these TV's. So rather than always doing the 56 pt. convergence, once the set has 'learned' it, you can just hit 'Touch Focus' and the 56 points should converge as they were set. Apparently, Toshiba has made a great convenience leap forward:

On my model, the 57HX81, you would have to hit the Touch Focus button 2-3 times before the convergence settings were 'memorized'. It seems that that is no longer the case with the new models.

That said, I LOVE the 57HX81 picture.

I thought the only convergence i can do (not being a tech) is the 9 point. Ive had my tv on all day everyday since i got it. Probably 10 hours atleast a day so im guessing its been around 100 hours total. Ive heard there are some problems with the hdx82. Some flicker and haze problems and maybe something else i forgot right now. Im not too up to date on whats happening with that issue so im wondering if they have a fix yet and whats the latest word on it???? I do think i may have some haze but im not to sure if its the same thing. Im not to sure what they mean but when im doing my 9 point convergence and i switch between red and blue i notice a greenish color to the black background in a certain area when on blue especially but alos on red a little. Its a 3"(on my 42" wide) abstract line that goes all the way from the top to bottomon on the middle/right side. This line is not straight and not even really a line. Just kind of a section of greenish tint over the black background. Is this normal or am i a sufferer of the haze problem and probably the flicker problem soon enough?

My speakers seem to work fine and i do use them for the television but not for movies. I have a 5.1 dts setup. What would the speakers have to do with my convergence problem and what problems would the speakers have if i did have a problem???????

Also i thought the touch focus was just a general adjustment and isnt really a good way to do it???? I thought the 9 point was better than using that. If i did hit that button wouldnt it erase my settings that ive made to the convergence and then make its own??? How will it remember my settings with the 42hdx82?????? How do i do that??? How could it remember convergence settings anyways?????? Arent the settings changing everytime after a few months?? Dont the guns slowly get out of wack and thats why it needs to be adjusted so that they are inline with eachother????

Sorry about all the questions. I know its probably to much but i need some answers to make sure my $1187 is well spent and not wasted like i almost did with the samsung 42" i just returned after it started turning off by itself the first day i got it. Not a good first impression.

Thanks guys(and girls?)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Touch Focus will reset the 9-point convergence, but you should always use Touch Focus first, then 'fine-tune' with the 9-point. The 56-point convergence system is part of the TVs service menu system and is not designed to be accessible to the user. However, there is plenty of information around the internet on how to access and adjust the 56-point service convergence.

After the set 'settles' in, you probably won't have to adjust the convergence for months at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks