What's new

Won't boot from SCSI controller (1 Viewer)

JohanK

Second Unit
I have an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI contoller card and I can't get the computer to boot from a SCSI HDD attached to it.

System is:

1000EB on Asus TUSL2-C w/ gf2 mx400 & Philips soundcard

Adaptec 2940UW

3 IBM SCSI HDDs (one 18GB and two 9GB)

IBM 60GXP IDE HDD

Windows XP-Pro/98SE

In the BIOS, I listed SCSI Boot Device as the second boot option (the floppy is first boot option) and, in the Adaptec card BIOS, I listed SCSI device #4 (the 18GB which is partitioned into 2 drives) as the bootable drive. I tried bootable media (Win 98SE DOS system files) on both the primary and the extended partitions on the 18GB HDD. After POST, all I get is a message that states 'Press a Key to Reboot'.

I am at a loss where to proceed. Anybody have an idea?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Have you already installed the OS in the SCSI drive? Have you been booting off the SCSI and all the sudden it stopped working? Or are you trying to install XP onto the SCSI and it's not recognizing it? A little more info and then I may be able to help.

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
When you formatted the drive on the controller, dod you make sure you gave it a boot sector? I've litterally been using SCSI for 2 days, and so that bit's fresh in my mind :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I am not 100% positive, but if you have both IDE and SCSI hard drives in the same system, it WILL boot to the IDE drive. However, you could write a batch file on the IDE and have it change the drive to D and execute win, but I don't know if you want to do that.

Glenn

JohanK

Second Unit
Thanx guys. I ended up removing the IBM IDE drive (which is what I had been using to hold OS; had a Maxtor 10G for XP) since FDISK wouldn't let me make the primary SCSI HDD partition an active one when the IBM was in the system as primary master (thanx for this Richard; I overlooked this part).

I loaded Win98SE onto the primary partition and system boots up fine. I am going to load XP onto the extended partition so I can dual boot.

JohanK

Second Unit
Glenn, I got to thinking about your post. I am now wondering what the system will do if I just plug in the IBM IDE drive.

I suspect that the IDE drive will become the C drive. Hence I believe I will need to make the primary partition on that drive a non-active one. This should allow the SCSI drive to remain as the C drive, I think.

Gonna give it a go...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks