What's new

won't boot from hard drive HELP!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
alright..my son was banging away on my computer and now when I boot up i get

drive not ready

enter BOOT diskette in a:

press any key when ready

i tried my xp boot diskette but nothing (it brings me to the xp setup screen). However when I boot from the XP cd-rom, I can get to windows and run my computer like normal (as you can see). I can't boot up without my cd now...everything was fine until last night

HELP!

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Darryl

You might check your BIOS settings (usually tapping delete while it's booting up) It sounds like somehow you have changed the boot order and disabled booting from your HD.

Good Luck!

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
He could have cooked the boot sector doing something. The old Win9x command was to find the file called sys.com on your HD (or CD) and type sys a: c: to transfer the boot system to the HD boot sector.

Norton Disk Doctor might be a good idea too if the BIOS check doesn't take care of it.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Unless Microsoft changed the way to do it with XP since Windows 2000, then you should be able to boot the XP CD and choose a repair option to restore the boot sector and startup stuff.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
after you've checked your BIOS, open the case and make sure everything is properly connected, power and data cables. let us know how you made out.

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
just got back in from vacation ...going to try your suggestions and see what happens...let you know soon!

thx for the info!

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
fixed it...there was an option if you scroll down for "SCSI device". I selected that as my 1st boot option and presto!..everything back to normal..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks