What's new

Wonka widescreen (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Metro Video in downtown Montreal had plenty of copies available today. This problem might simply be a retailer issue since the clerk didn't mention having any problems obtaining the DVD from the distributor.
------------------
The Milnoc
News, Views, DVD Reviews.

James_Chapman

Auditioning
I hear too many paranoids out there saying that Warners is trying to "sabotage" sales of OAR DVD's. This is preposterous. The only thing WB cares about is $$$$$$$$$$. If they can get more $$$$$ with OAR movies, I guarantee they will.
That said, here's the real problem: most retailers only stock 1 version of a DVD. I work in a major US bookstore chain's Headquarters. The buyers have told me that almost every time they have ever stocked multiple versions of a DVD title, (like FS/WS or DD/DTS), the company gets burned big time. It is very difficult to predict which version a customer will buy when given a choice right there in the store. Inevitably, you end up with way too many of one version that you can't sell or end up being returned. This first occurred in a major bad way when the Mummy came out in both Widescreen and Pan & Scan versions a while ago. My company ordered equal amounts and ended up with way too many unsold or returned Pan & Scan Mummy's. (Yes, Widescreen was more popular, but this was back when J6P's weren't really buying DVD's). After that, my company changed it's policy to only carry 1 version of a title. They try to pick the most popular and stick with it, (screw the other versions).
For this reason, Wonka WS will never show up in many retail stores. Now my company always prefers to sell WS titles, but when Pan & Scan Wonka came out much earlier then Widescreen Wonka, it got selected as the only version we'll sell. (In fact, WS Wonka didn't even exist at the time P&S Wonka's were ordered).
The best solution is for all DVD's, (that the Film Industry thinks needs to have Pan & Scan), to contain both Widescreen and Pan & Scan versions on one DVD. This should be standard practice for all these "Family DVD's".

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You see? I've been saying forever that multiple-SKU versions are the enemy. Retail stores just don't like to stock 'em! I know, I was in retail for 15 years!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Checking in from Boston- NO Best Buy (not ordering either) No Circuit city.
It is the retailer NOT the studio.
Marc E

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I picked up mine at the local Futureshop in Coquitlam. There was only one copy and was buried in the Children's catalog section, not up front with the rest of the new releases. There were plenty of full screen ones but they were buried at the back of the store too.
Patrick
------------------
Evidence of my obsession.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
Couldn't find ANY widescreen Wonkas in the Birmingham area big boys (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Coconuts, Suncoast, Circuit City), and got the typical runaround at Best Buy (we don't have it, won't get it, there's not one, etc.).
So I went to the Internet.
No one would love to make a point at a B&M more than me. I did fuss about it at each place, but mostly to blank stares.
As it is though, if Priority Shipping comes through, me and the wife will finally relive this childhood-defining movie on Friday.
Interesting sidenote:
Amazon.com sales rank, Wonka full-frame: 95
Amazon.com sales rank, Wonka widescreen: 22
Things that make you (and Warner???) go "hmmmmm..."
~Jamie

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Since the local stores don't seem to want my business, I ordered from Deep Discount DVD. Now I've got to wait another five days.
frown.gif

bill lopez

Second Unit
Get this! I went Tuesday to Best Buy, they didn't have it.
I asked an employee who went and looked in the back and said they didn't have any full screen or wide screen.
So on Thursday I went again and they had only the Full Screen versions. So they ordered full screen.

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Wal Mart in Austin will not carry it. I did NOT check with Best Buy, but DID find it at Frey's for $19.99 but alas it was mixed in with the P&S versions. I am glad I knew to look for the "Special Widescreen Edition" header. I will check and see if Sam's has it. The last time I was in there they had a bunch of the P&S versions on real cheap.
I am looking forward to watching this one as I remember vividly my Aunt taking my cousins, my brother and myself to the theater to see this movie. What a great flick and I can't wait to show it to my daughter. I just hopes she likes it as much as I did when I was a kid.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
WOW! Store(tower recs) in Las Vegas (Sahara St.) has MANY copies for $19.99
------------------

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Why don't you just order online to begin with? I ordered last Thursday from DDD KNOWING that B&M's wouldn't stock it. It was sitting in my door on the street date.
David Lambert is right. Stores won't stock multiple skus of the same item. Its confusing for the consumer and mucks up their inventory systems.
I just don't understand this forum when I see posts about driving 50 miles to Best Buy and calling CC or price matching here or there when all you need to do is CLICK. Its a beautiful thing.
as for supporting the local economy - there's plenty of J6P's to do that. :) Go out to eat instead. Put money in the restaurant and money in a waitress' pocket.
------------------
Patrick Larkin
Kubrick Multimedia Film Guide
[Edited last by Patrick Larkin on November 15, 2001 at 02:17 PM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David Lambert is right. Stores won't stock multiple skus of the same item. Its confusing for the consumer and mucks up their inventory systems.
I just don't understand this forum when I see posts about driving 50 miles to Best Buy and calling CC or price matching here or there when all you need to do is CLICK. Its a beautiful thing.
Let's be clear. They are RESISTANT to stocking mulitple SKUs. They'll do so...under protest, but they'll do so.
Best Buy DOES intend to have Wonka WS in-stores alongside the FS version. They just plan to have it by around 11/27 or 12/4, per their buyer's e-mail to me. :)
No way I'm gonna wait that long. On the other hand, I don't really want to order on-line, either...too big a chance to get a wrong version, or a damaged-in-shipping copy, and be responsible for return postage AND have to wait some more. And I was just the victim of credit card fraud, so more reason not to shop on-line.
eek.gif

But I found it in a music store across town (Turtle's). Other people are finding it in a different music store, Tower Records.
If friggin' music stores that sideline in DVD's can have 'em on street date, then so can BB, CC, and everyone else.
If Wal-Mart doesn't want to carry the WS versions forever, then they can lose my DVD business forever.
biggrin.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
Well Patrick
I like supporting the local economy.
My thought is if I buy these things locally, maybe they'll start stocking them more often locally. If they see me and others like me go into the store on tuesday, maybe their sales will take note of that.
Now, the nearest best buy is 40 miles from me, but here in wyoming, that's about a 25-30 minute drive. Not too bad. Plus, I get to get out, take a drive, maybe look at some products, and get the heck away from the computer, which I sit in front of all day. I don't do that every week, and usually make plans to do that.
Besides, as soon as they propose the internet tax(which our legislators say is probably coming), I'm pretty sure I'll only order online for things I absolutely won't find here.
robyn

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If Best Buy doesn't have it, fill out one of those little suggestion cards, stating that you were looking for the widescreen version but the store wasn't stocking it. They need to get feedback that we want this stuff. I usually buy my discs online, but I'm going to try get this one in a B&M to help show demand for widescreen. (DVD Empire & Digital Eyes already know we like widescreen :) ).
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I went to my loacal Sam Goody's, which my brother is always referring to as Soddom and Gommorah. I don't. I asked an employee if they were going to have the widescreen wonka on street date, and he said they would. Came back on Tuesday, and they did not have it. They had not ordered any, and they siad they weren't going to carry it. But they did special order one for me. Later, I decided to get it at amazon, for 18 bucks, because I had a positive balance. Plus if they were only going to order one copy, then my purchase was not going to benefit the other customers anyway.

Got it yesterday! Looks great. Go get it if you haven't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks