What's new

Wonka widescreen (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Type pro-chop-and-crop conspiracy to keep the widescreen Wonka under wraps.
frown.gif

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
I went to 2 Circuit City's, Media Play, and Best Buy and none of them had it. Not to mention none of them knew the difference between that and the standard version
angry.gif

Did it get delayed or something? Media Play said they could special order it but thats about it.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Christopher Bosley

Stunt Coordinator
Really, to be true to the movie, it shouldn't be a widescreen version but should be sold as being in stunning "Wonkavision!"

bill lopez

Second Unit
I went to BestBuy,Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Circiut City and none had. I even asked as they were putting up TOMB RAIDER dvd. I'm ordering online.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You guys haven't seen my previous posts!
I was in touch with Best Buy's corporate HQ, and they sent me an e-mail after checking with their buyer. The guy said it would be in-stores 2-3 weeks after release date (today).
I checked with Josh at WB, who said that any retailer who failed to have it on release date would do so by choice, and that it would be available.
Yesterday I checked at my local BB, asking them to look it up in their system. They did. None in-stock and none on order.
frown.gif

I see that Amazon has some in-stock. Oh, but there's no need for me to wait. A music store across town has a dozen copies of WS Wonka in-stock. And for $19.99; decent price.
My copy is on hold; I'm leaving in 10 minutes. I'm gonna head straight over. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
I called my "local" best-buy(40 miles away) to see if they got any. When I asked for Willy Wonka Widescreen dvd, the guy snapped that "there isn't one!" So I told him that there was, and we went round and round. Finally he found a listing, but it appears that they didn't have one, and weren't going to be getting any. Period.
No other store has one in stock here. Funny thing was, I called Wal-mart. The lady said she had it. I asked her to save it at the counter and, drove down there. They told me it wasn't on thier list, wasn't being released, and that they didn't have it. My Lunch Hour wasted. That's one more reason for me not to ever shop at wal-mart again.
This is a great way to ensure that no one buys the disc.
frown.gif

I guess I need to order it. I wanted to support the local economy, but no one will even order it for me.
frown.gif

bill lopez

Second Unit
It sure looks like Amazon.com & Cdnow.com have it.
But I wonder how the sales will look. Will Warner say" You see nobody bought the (WS) version?"

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
This is almost sounding like a case of self sabotage...
It seems that Warners are making it as difficult as possible for retailers to sell the OAR version, which may result in less than stellar sales numbers.
-Mike "Conspiracy Theorist" Serrano
------------------
God Bless America--and all people who stand for freedom.
patriot.gif

[Edited last by MikeSerrano on November 13, 2001 at 04:08 PM]

Jason P

Stunt Coordinator
None at my Best Buy in VA. Going to check and see if they have it at my Target or Suncoast tomorrow.
Crossing my fingers.

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the promotional push for this disc has come and gone.
Sales have been tabulated, and the title will be re-stocked by the vendors based on the current figures.
Bottom line: this is now a "catalog item". It doesn't seem to be given any "push" by the studio - they haven't gone out of their way to inform vendors that a new version is available.
What's even scarier is that when the stores re-order they will probably just duplicate the stock numbers from their previous orders. This reminds me of trying to obtain the most recent Door's CD remasters in B & M's when they were still trying to dump existing stock. You still often see some of those earlier discs out there, and these have been available for over a year.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Just in case anyone wants to order it, it appears Deep Discount DVD has the best price at $18.74; mine shipped out today.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Gotta love those online retailers who actually WANT to earn money from us who don't want CRAPPY P&S DVD's.
It's fine with me if the malls and stores want to avoid my money by not carrying the widescrene Wonka DVD.
It's stuff like this that's going to kill the brick and mortar stores...they don't pull out all the stops.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Repeating what I posted elsewhere:
I picked it up today, 11/13/01, for $19.99 at a music store in the mid-town section of Memphis. It was worth the trip across town, as they also had 4 other hard-to-find items not available in stores on my side of town. If you're interested at which store, it is Turtle's Music (formerly Wherehouse Music). They can be found as part of the chain at this web site:
Link Removed They also have Deathstalker for just $7.99, when I can't find it anywhere else in town! I may have to run back for it...
(My wife is now choking my neck and demanding that I tell her what the DVD is! Help!)
Anyway, check those smaller stores, 'cuz the larger ones don't seem to give a shit. Good luck,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
..... http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/ .....
[Edited last by David Lambert on November 13, 2001 at 09:11 PM]

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you DDD. I knew better than to trust the B&Ms to this after the Cats and Dogs thing.
Anyone want to wager that now Warner will hold up sales figures and go "SEE! SEE!" This is so depressing...
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I checked BestBuy, Circuit City, and Walmart tonight. No WS WW! >
frown.gif

I guess I will order it online, now.
(mumble grumble)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I had a very strong feeling that this would happen, so I pre-ordered mine from Digital Eyes last week. It just came in the mail today, so I can definitely tell you that it does exist and it is available.
Best Buy is simply behind the eight ball....again.
Link Removed

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Nothing ANYWHERE in Madison! Luckily mine arrived from Amazon today!
I was going to purchase an extra copy from my local Best Buy, to show my support for OAR, but I am unable to locate any at Best Buy, Circuit City, WalMart, Sam's CLub, Target, OR Toys-R-Us!
furious.gif

------------------
SpenceJT
Link Removed
"...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Tower Records in Austin had it today. I held it in my hands and thought I might take it home, for the kids, you know.
Then I bought Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead.
Jim
------------------
NUQULER??
"Because Texas is his adopted home state, that's why."
[Edited last by Jim Armstrong on November 13, 2001 at 10:13 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks