What's new

Wonka Widescreen is the Real Deal!! (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
I don't know how it got turned into a hoax less than 24 hours after someone reported it, but I received the official press release from Warner this morning via Airborne Express.
The WIDESCREEN 30th Anniversary edition of Wonka will be released on November 13th. Officially.
And that's the way it is.
[Edited last by Robert George on August 24, 2001 at 11:47 AM]

Robert George

Screenwriter
The previous widescreen DVD is an enhanced transfer, and I would bet my next paycheck the widescreen 30th Anniversary edition in November will use the exact same transfer.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Obi,
Do you think this is a good thing? In your opinion, will the previous transfer match up to your expectations of the new widescreen version? Even though it's not widescreen, the reviews seem to praise the full screen version's colors and quality, etc.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Hmm, good question.
I haven't looked at the widescreen disc in a while, but my recollection is that it was a very nice transfer. I have the fullscreen Anniversary edition but, frankly, I didn't even open it. Perhaps I'll do a little comparison this weekend and post something.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Obi, I'll take that bet! I just wanted to second the receipt of the press release - this widescreen DVD will appear 11/13. And I VERY seriously doubt they'll use the old transfer, though, and I definitely hope they don't - I thought it looked terrible. They cleaned up the fullframe version, so I'm sure the widescreen one will be an improvement on the old picture as well. If not, I think the widescreen release would be a bigger problem than the new fullscreen edition...
And I'm also sure it'll be 16X9 - when was the last time WB released a widescreen movie that WASN'T anamorphic?
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com
[Edited last by Colin Jacobson on August 24, 2001 at 04:21 PM]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They already have the transfer prepared which means one of two things:
a) Obi is right and they're just rehashing the previous anamorphic widescreen transfer
b) or b, they had a widescreen transfer already prepared (I remember at the Digital Bits DVD Producer's panel, J.M. Kenney was sure of an anamorphic transfer) which they dumped at the last minute.
Either way, I'm buying this disc, to show my support for widescreen family movies.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Just when you thought it was safe to stop buying Warner DVDs!!!
tongue.gif
cool.gif

eek.gif

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking the same thing as Adam. Since JM Kenney was talking about the new version having 16x9 and Full Frame transfers, that implies to me that the 16x9 transfer is new.
I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
According to DVDFILE:
"However, we received a correction this morning from Warner as well as a real hard copy of the release, that it is indeed the real deal."
Does this mean they have the actual new widesceen disc? If so, maybe they can shed a little light on whether it's a new presentation.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I think that by "release," they mean "press release" — a sheet of paper announcing the DVD, not the DVD itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks