Wonka/HTF Video Store Magazine Article

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacob_St, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

I just got through reading the new Video Store Magazine article about Wonka. It's hilarious and refers to full screen viewers as "Joe-Sixpack" two or three times. It's a good article but the Joe Sixpack references are just so funny to read in a magazine publication.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

You forgot to post a link! [​IMG]
    I couldn't find it on-line. Is it only in the print version?
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by David Lambert on August 30, 2001 at 05:35 AM]

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Yay!!!! Love to hear this kind of news.

4. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Yeah, I didn't read it off the internet. Sorry I didn't clarify that in my post. I work at a video store and so we get the magazine every week. If it is on the net it will be at hive4media.com. If I'm not mistaken you can sign up for a free subscription on their website for the magazine. You probably won't get the current issue though.
    [Edited last by Jacob_St on August 30, 2001 at 10:20 AM]

5. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Could you type it up under quotes or something?? Just mention who wrote it and you shouldn't have a problem.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

6. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

I would, but it's at work. I'll bring it home tonight and type out the highlights of the article.

7. Phong

Phong Agent

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I really like the comment by Ms. Martinoff..."We realized that Willy Wonka is more than a family movie". She makes it sound as if "family" movies are somehow of a lower caliber than "real" movies and therefore don't require the same sort of care in their presentation. There are a lot of "family" movies that I consider more adult than a lot of the spew passing for "adult" nowadays.
    ------------------

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I don't think she goes far enough in explaining WB's position. She had an opportunity to do so, and she didn't. We all stated our side pretty clearly, I think. The writer did a nice job of staying neutral, despite Phong's comments that the interview made it sound like he might paint us as - in my words - a bunch of kooks. But the story turned out nice. It's just sad that WB took the opportunity to continue to sit the fence, is all.
    That's probably not too coherent, but it's my best reaction on short notice! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

10. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Excellent article guys. Thanks for the link.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    If you live in the Wichita KS area and are interested in a local meet click here

11. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

While I'm thrilled that the opinions we have expressed here at the HTF and other sites have breached the media wall, I do have say that I'm not happy at all that DVD and Home Theater enthusiasts come off as snooty elitists, referring to the remainder of the DVD community with less than complimentary phrases such as the "lowest common denominator" and "Joe Six Pack".
    I have never used the term "Joe Six Pack" in any forum at any time. I don't agree with with the connotation (consumers who will be forever ignorant) and how it represents the core DVD community. Whenever I contribute and want to refer to what many here call "J6P", I use "mainstream consumer".
    Personally, I feel that commentary like this is fine here at the HTF, but in a publication, trade or not, it simply comes across as a vocal minority with a strong argument who cannot articulate the core issues without resorting to name-calling.
    -g
    [Edited last by GaryEA on August 30, 2001 at 06:21 PM]