What's new

Wong Kar-Wai's CHUNGKING EXPRESS (1 Viewer)

Matt_P

Second Unit
Hello, all.

Just wanted to recommend a film to you folks: Chungking Express. Being a big fan of Kar-Wai's In The Mood For Love (and Criterion's great DVD), I intended to check out this film, but never got around to it til recently.

It is a fascinating and involving piece of work that strays from the Hong Kong norm, like Kar-Wai's other films. It depicts two distinct love stories, both involving police officers. As Tarantino states in his exuberant intro/wrap up, Kar-Wai follows in the footsteps of Godard and the French New Wave. What I admire most, aside from his great technical strengths (cinematography, editing, etc), is his affinity for depicting intimate emotional connections between individuals, and contrasting them with the solitary moments that fill in the gaps. The subtle performances work wonders.

While not up to par with Criterion's superb DVD for ITMFL, Miramax's Chungking Express is respectable, and sports an anamorphic 1.85:1 transfer, Dolby 2.0, trailers, and comments from Tarantino, whose Rolling Pictures company picked up the film. I am a bit disappointed Miramax slapped Quentin's mug on the cover, and put his name in bigger letters than the film's title! To the casual observer, it looks as if he directed the film...Kar-Wai is reduced to a footnote. Another marketing tool...

The Digital Bits just posted a double review of In The Mood For Love and Chungking Express. If you haven't seen them, check them out!

Later.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Any chance there may be an SE of this on the horizon? I'm actually in the middle of watching an earlier Kar-Wai film, "Ashes of Time," and both the low quality of the film and dvd are making me want to see Chungking Express once again (a much better film me thinks).

Shaun

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks