1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

"Wonders of the world DVD's"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Francois_Laliberte, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Francois_Laliberte

Hello,

My dad just bought his new TV and I was wondering if you could suggest DVD's. He's interested in movies / documentaries about nature and wildlife, about people living in other countries, about animals, the kind of stuff you would see on National Geographic or Discovery channel.

I've already bought "Baraka" for him and he enjoyed it a lot, altough he would prefer with dialogue or a storyline instead of just images.

I was thinking about:

Winged Migration
    Coral Reef Adventure
    Galapagos (Imax)

Are there some best sellers in that category?? If the movie had really good picture quality it would be a plus (to enjoy the new TV)

Thanks,

Fran├žois

2. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I would add the following:

Solarmax- excellent IMAX documentary about the sun.

Blue Planet- BBC 4 disc series about life in the oceans. Plenty of animals here.

Everest- IMAX documentary about the climbing of...you know.[​IMG]

Walking with Dinosaurs, Prehistoric Beasts, Cavemen and Chased By Dinosaurs- each of these BBC documentaries are fantastic.

Dinosaur Planet- US series similar to Walking with Dinosaurs but with Christian Slater narrating. Not bad.

Koyaanisqatsi- Yeah...it's more images without talking, but the time lapse photography in this film is quite striking.

One that I haven't seen yet but is supposed to be quite good:

Ghosts Of The Abyss

3. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

Anything by David Attenborough would be perfect (and wonderful to watch)...

Blue Planet
    Life of Birds
    Life of Mammals
    Living Planet

...Living Planet is quite a bit older (early 80's maybe?) than the other sets, but still decent. Out of all of them though, I've yet to see another nature documentary done as wonderfuly and amazingly as Life of Mammals. It's an astounding piece of work.

Also, since you mentioned National Geographic, there's a 4-disc set on Africa that is supposed to be quite good. I haven't seen it yet, but it's very high on my "to buy" list.

4. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

There is only a very small ammount of narration in this film. Mostly it is music and images.

Also, if you're willing to go into fictional movies with a National Geographic theme, check out "The Gods Must Be Crazy".