Wondering if I can fix my sub that has stopped working....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patricia Lee, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Patricia Lee

Patricia Lee Auditioning

Hi folks
    I have a Mission surround sound system consisting of a subwoofer, center channel and 2 fronts, 2 rears. It sounds great connected to my Pioneer receiver when using my Sony DVD player. Everything was hunky dory. When first installing it I read a warning in the sub-woofer box:
    WARNING: DO NOT DISCONNECT SUBWOOFER FROM RECEIVER WHILE POWERED
    or something to that effect. Unfortunately I completely forgot that warning when I went to move my setup over a year later. Now my subwoofer when plugged in does not power up and does not put out any sound. There is a small red bubble-light in the back to indicate power is on and it does not light up when plugged in (there is no on-off switch). Im wondering, would this be something I could fix by unscrewing the back-plate and messing around? Maybe a fuse or something? Or is it likely fubared now?
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Patricia, and welcome to the HTF!
    Do you know the model of your Mission subwoofer?
    Hopefully, fixing it will be as simple as just replacing the fuse.
    Here is a link to the Mission Site where you may be able to find the model number of your speakers and possibly and answer to your dilemna.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

3. Patricia Lee

Patricia Lee Auditioning

Looks like the sub is a Mission 70ASA
    Thanks, Ill take a look at the site!

4. Patricia Lee

Patricia Lee Auditioning

Well, their support section is brutal! But I sent an email to service - hope they can help. I really dont want to have to take it in to a store to repair.

5. Patricia Lee

Patricia Lee Auditioning

Me again...
    I took off the back-plate and it looks surprisingly easy to fix. IF in fact its just the fuse, looks like a 250v 0.63a Type T slo-blo fuse (which means absolutely nothing to me, btw).
    What's best place to go for that, Radio Shack I assume?
    Thanks [​IMG]

6. Patricia Lee

Patricia Lee Auditioning

Hm.
    Back from the store
    I had to buy a 250V Slo-Blow 1.0 amp fuse....they didnt have any "0.63" amp fuses.
    I put it in the slot (the old fuse is totally grey I assume that means its blown). Connected sub to receiver and plugged it in....
    nothing. Is there some sort of "reset" switch in there or does anyone understand "amps" and fuses that could help me out? Should I have used a 0.5 amp rather than a 1? Really hoping I can salvage this thing instead of buying a new sub at 300+ dollars. Thanks.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The fact that you get an indicator light seems to me like it's not the fuse. The fuse should cut all power to the sub if it blows; that's sort of what its there for, to fry before the sub does. Either a 0.5 amp or 1 amp will work - ie, they are functionally identical, but the 1 amp may be a problem in that it will not blow as quickly as a 0.63 amp (very weird rating, isn't it?). As a general rule, using a fuse rated higher than the original isn't a good idea.
    Anyway, the lit indicator light but no sound probably means that something is toast in the sub, I'm sorry to say. Or possibly your sub output at the other end is broken?
    If the sub has a high-level input (ie, what looks like speaker connectors) - sorry, don't know this particular sub at all so don't know the answer - you could try connecting a normal speaker wire from the speaker out on the receiver/amplifier to the subwoofer high-level inputs to see if you get sound that way. If you do, it might be a problem with your receivers low-level output or a problem with the low-level input on the sub.
    Of course, if the sub has no speaker-level inputs then this won't help you much.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo
    [Edited last by Kimmo Jaskari on August 25, 2001 at 03:28 PM]

8. Patricia Lee

Patricia Lee Auditioning

I maybe didnt word the first post correctly : the power indicator LED in the back does NOT light up - Im quite certain that (a) the power is not coming in correctly due to the fuse and (b) that I am confused and maybe using the wrong kind of fuse? Is it ok to use a 1 amp fuse if the original one was a 0.63A fuse?

9. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

Using a 1A fus will work but it can be dangerous if something is wrong. Using a 0.5A fuse is safeer and should also work ok. You can try it and see if it blows. But first you have to find out why it's not working. [​IMG]
    Check the backplate for burnmarks. Also check that the fusholder is clean and has good contact. Is it possible to check the powerchord? If the chord has plugs in both ends you can measure if there are any broken wires.
    Take out the fuse again and check that it hasn't blown again.
    Please forgive my english, I am norwegian.
    Regards,
    Tor Arne Hustvedt
    Norway
    ------------------
    Picture of my setup so far:
    http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stereo01.jpg

10. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Patricia,
    I have dual Mission 700AS subs. Using the subs' manual and the Net, their address and phone number is:
    Mission Electronics Inc.
    400 Matheson Blvd. E. #31
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Canada L4Z 1N8
    Phone: (905) 507-0777
    http://ypng.infospace.com/canada.can...qs=on&type=map
    Good luck.
    Dave

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

unfortunately, i am not familiar with this sub, but i just want to echo what other people are saying.
    do not use a higher-rated fuse!
    especially a slo-blow type. what you are, in effect, doing is giving the fuse more time to fry your components before it blows. if anything, replace it with a lower rated fuse.
    i've even had friends take aluminum foil and wrap it around the fuse...good grief! [​IMG]

12. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Sounds like you'll be fine once you replace the fuse. You might want to call some electronic TV/Stereo repair shops in your area for that fuse since Radio Shack doesn't have it.

13. Kimmo Jaskari

Ahh, sorry, I thought I read that the indicator light was on but you were getting no sound. My bad.
    If you replaced the fuse and it still won't work, I guess there are several possibilities. One is that the first fuse didn't blow fast enough so that some component in the sub amplifier blew as well. Another is that something is shorted in the amp causing the new fuse to blow immediately when you hooked the sub up.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

14. Patricia Lee

Patricia Lee Auditioning

Kimmo does that mean Im outta luck with this subwoofer, or should I try another fuse maybe?

15. Tor Arne

16. Patricia Lee

Patricia Lee Auditioning

Just took a look at the first new fuse I put in.
    It has a thread of metal or something that goes through the middle and which appears almost frayed at one spot. In that spot the glass of the fuse has turned purple somewhat. I assume that means it fried.
    So I put in the second new fuse that came in the package , and had the exact same result. So something is making the fuses fry. Maybe they are the wrong kind?

17. Tor Arne

Can you see on the new fuses if they are slow-blow fuses?
    When the new fuses, which are larger than the original, also blow it means that something further down the chain is shorting or damaged. Don't try any larger fuses. [​IMG] You can try to dismantle the sub further and check for burnmarks around single electronic components.
    ------------------
    Picture of my setup so far:
    http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stereo01.jpg

18. Kimmo Jaskari

I agree with Tor Arne (is that two first names or is the Arne your last name? Just curious!) that there is probably something about your subwoofer that is broken at this point.
    What you describe, ie a discoloration in the fuse and a frayed lead inside, sounds to me like another blown fuse.
    Since you put in a 1 amp slow-blow one, ie one rated as even higher than the original one, it's unlikely that it would just blow from being turned on unless something was wrong with the electronics.
    You will probably need to look into repairs for the sub. Any qualified electronics repair guy should be able to take a look at the amp and see if any components are fried, but the trick is finding that qualified electronics repair guy... who won't charge you more than a new one costs.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

19. Tor Arne