What's new

Wondering if a new receiver will make much difference. (1 Viewer)

I currently have a new Samsung LCD, new Sony Blu Ray and an old Yamaha RXV-992. I'm considering a new Pioneer VSX 820 to replace the Yamaha, but I'm just wondering if I'll see/hear any real difference.

And if I make the move, do I want to use HDMI cables to hook everything together, or keep component cables?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
By all accounts you'll hear a big difference with the new HD sound formats on Blu Ray, which your Yamaha does not support. Can't swear to that, since my current receiver doesn't support them, either.

Thanks for the quick response!

One store, which shall remain nameless, said Denon and Pioneer have substantially better video processors than the Yamaha line (which they also sell). I liked the low price of the Pioneer 520, but decided the features of the 820 were worth the price upgrade.

By no means do I have brand loyalty. I've owned Denon, Pioneer and other Yamaha's in the past.

I don't run anything by cable and movies through this system.

Thanks for any suggestions and thoughts you have.

G

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Gary Kelly

And if I make the move, do I want to use HDMI cables to hook everything together, or keep component cables?

Keep in mind that the only ways to even GET the lossless audio from Blu-Ray is via HDMI or through discrete analog audio outs (not available on all players). Digital optical and digital coaxial audio connections WILL NOT carry Dolby HD or DTS-MA.

But I do agree with Joe - the difference between lossy DD and lossless audio was much more significant than I ever expected it to be. In particular, I find the clarity of dialog and the center channel in general to be MUCH improved over lossy.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
One store, which shall remain nameless, said Denon and Pioneer have substantially better video processors than the Yamaha line (which they also sell).

Well, I can't speak to that - but the receiver shouldn't have to process any HD video that it is getting over HDMI. Video processing only comes into play if it you're upscaling non-HD input to send to the TV via HDMI, or changing resolutions for some other reason at the receiver stage. If you have a 1080p TV it is going to scale any non-1080p material to its native resolution anyway. I suppose the other brands might do a better job of scaling than Yamaha - but then so might your Blu Ray player, upconverting DVD player or TV.

Keep in mind that the only ways to even GET the lossless audio from Blu-Ray is via HDMI...

Yeah, I had intended to mention this, but somehow forgot. Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,

Joe

So we are really only talking about the sound of the system, not really talking about video (I'm viewing a 46" screen from about 12 feet). What I notice right now is that with my rear speakers they seldom have any sounds(and they are turned up all the way)....maybe a bird or someone clapping once in a great while. Will that change with lossless audio?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
What I notice right now is that with my rear speakers they seldom have any sounds(and they are turned up all the way)....maybe a bird or someone clapping once in a great while. Will that change with lossless audio?

Probably not, because the surround channels are only there for atmosphere and occasional effects You don't hear a lot of sound from the surround channels in a theater, either, unless you're watching an action flick or big SFX film. That's assuming you're currently hearing full discrete 5.1 sound. How do you have your digital cable box and Blu Zone connected to your Yamaha? What the HD formats will be are clearer and more distinct when you're watching a BD disc with one of them, but you won't get any more from the surrounds with DTS Master-HD than with regular DTS 5.1 on a soundtrack that doesn't use the surrounds a lot.

Regards,

Joe

I've got a set of Polk speakers....also 10 years old, but they really hadn't been used much until recently, if that makes any difference.

LorenaVelasco

Auditioning
Real Name
LorenaVelasco
Keep in mind that the only ways to even GET the lossless audio from Blu-Ray is via HDMI or through discrete analog audio outs (not available on all players). Digital optical and digital coaxial audio connections WILL NOT carry Dolby HD or DTS-MA.

Furniture in Houston

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks Gary,

Age is not overly important when it comes to speakers. Just make sure all the drivers are working and there's no visible damage. I was more concerned about the resistance (ohms). It will make a difference in the receiver you have to get. Sometimes the lower end receivers have trouble with 4ohm speakers. Plus, if you would have said something from a home theater in a box, they could have been 2 or 3 ohm, making things much worse. The Pioneer you are looking at would have a problem 4ohm speakers.

Double check your Polks to make sure they are compatible.

Also, before you look to a new receiver, make sure your current setup is optimized. If your current AVR has an internal setup program (with a mic), run it. If not, try to get an SPL meter and balance the speakers (make them all the same level using the internal test tones). This step alone will have a huge impact on the sound.

Lastly, the Pioneer you are looking at will not decode the new HD formats. I would consider the Denon 1910 or Onkyo 607 instead.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by David Willow Lastly, the Pioneer you are looking at will not decode the new HD formats. I would consider the Denon 1910 or Onkyo 607 instead.
???? This is what the Pioneer spec sheet for the VSX-802 says:
All new Pioneer receivers are equipped to decode new HD Audio formats including Dolby True HD® and DTS Master® now with the new Dolby ProLogic IIz height channel.
Am I missing something? Joe

What do you guys think of the Denon 591 instead of the Pioneer? The big difference I see between the two is the Pioneer doesn't come with a video converter. The Denon has a slight power advantage and the Pioneer has slightly lower THD, neither of which I figure will amount to a hill of beans.

Thanks for the opinions!

G

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Performance wise I'd put the 591 just slightly ahead of the 820 (my brother has a 1610-same as the 590) but for me Denons are very difficult to setup and use. And their remotes are not the best.

With the 591, I would turn off the video processing in the receiver. Your tv and BR player will be as good or better than the 591 in that regard.

It appears the lower end Denons and Onkyo's (and H/K's) are a bit stronger than lower end Pioneers and Yamaha's but Polk speakers (except LSi's and other Polk 4 ohm speakers) are usually very easy to drive so power shouldn't be much of an issue.

Any receiver that's been mentioned so far should be a good up-grade to your older Yamaha as far as features, connections and compatability with modern equipment is concerned, even if over-all sound quality turns out to be not that much of an improvement. But this comes from someone who can't seem to let go of an old (but yummy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks