What's new

Wonderful discovery: Argento's SUSPIRIA (1 Viewer)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
One of the things I value most about DVD in general is that this format has allowed me to experience films that I probably would have never otherwise seen (or very likely ever given a second thought).
Latest case in point: SUSPIRIA. I'd heard for years that this was one of the foremost "must-see" horror films of all time but, based on descriptions, had never built up much enthusiasm to do so. Well...
Bought it on impulse last night and this was one wicked movie! I'm not sure it made a hell of a lot of sense but I loved it anyway. Glad that I waited so I could see it in full 2.35:1 widescreen. I can't imagine what it must be like P&S'd.
I'm going to check out the supplements tonight. Great stuff!
BTW: Dig the 3-disc Alpha case (I can live without the whole tin thing, thank you very much) and the Goblin soundtrack CD is pretty cool, too... :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to a cinematic classic in the horror genre. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I've come pretty close as to why this movie is popular and endearing to so many people. This movie, properly classified as horror, does just that. With the late 90's release of teeny-bopper slasher flicks (no bad mind you, but getting out of hand), this movie serves as a refreshing experience for many to revisit and for others to first discover. It's eerie music, eerie atmosphere, and gruesome murders are only part of the reason of its wide appeal.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Kenneth, Suspiria is definitely one killer horror flick - even though, as you said, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense sometimes. But what the film lacks in plausibility, it makes up for with atmosphere - very important for a horror film. I must also say that the soundtrack helps out immensely - it's one of Goblin's best. Anchor Bay did a heckuva job with the L.E.
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
[Edited last by SteveGon on September 12, 2001 at 11:30 PM]

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I ordered the single disc version...looking forward to receiving it! (I have never seen it).
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Umm...
I had a completely opposite response to Suspiria. I felt it was too over-the-top, too silly, too gory-for-gore's-sake, and most of all, BORING.
In the film's defense, I will say that it mixed the worlds of ballet and horrific, sheer Satanic terror better than any film since Powell and Pressburger's The Red Shoes. But...
Suspiria moved way to slow to sustain interest. The garish, overblown set design - rich, psychedelic neon colors and heavy reliance on shadows -- made the entire affair seem more cartoonish than atmospheric. There was absolutely no character interest whatsoever -- most were poorly defined caricatures. Granted, I rarely watch horror films for character development, but I found myself unable to feel anything towards anyone in the film.
The gorier aspects (close up shots of a knife slowly entering a beating heart, etc..) brought about the same reaction as much of the gore in Hannibal. Repulsive, for sure, but not scary or particularly horrifying.
In fact, I was reminded of Hannibal more than once while watching this film...
There were two scenes I did enjoy in this film (SPOILERS, of course):
Spoiler:The exact moment when the dog turned on the blind pianist. I didn't see that one coming...
and
Spoiler:When the undead girl pops out from behind the door. Reminded me of a wretched song by mid-80s progressive-metal band Zebra...
I loathe slasher type films -- Screams, Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc. I like films that establish mood and atmosphere and build toward something, but Suspiria brought about an indifferent reaction from me. After all of the accolades this film had received, I bought the single-edition disc sight unseen at Best Buy ($14.99, not bad). I didn't hate Suspiria, but it really didn't do anything for more either...
All in my opinion, of course.
------------------
If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
- DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I am not crazy about this film, but recognize the gruesome ingenuity of most of it. I also think I understand why some people have a problem with the pacing although I don't exactly agree with them. The thing I like about it is the sustained dread that the film maintains and builds, punctuating it with moments of gore, but not losing track of it.
That being said, and without spoiling it for anyone, the ending is a tremendous let-down to me. I feel almost betrayed, asking myself the question "This was what I was waiting for?" It needed something mind blowing like the great payoff scenes in Rosemary's Baby or Psycho (No, I don't mean the lecture in the police station about schizophrenia. :)), and I think it fell short of those standards. The journey, while scenic, seems kind of tedious when you realize what the destination is.
Of course, that's just my opinion, and, as they say, 50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong.
wink.gif

Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on September 13, 2001 at 03:39 PM]

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Here is where I thought the film was heading:
Spoiler:The main character (forgot her name) was doing all the killings, while she was hopped up on the wine (blood?) they gave her to drink... That the infamous head witch (forgot her name too) was either controlling her, or perhaps she (the main character) was the witch reincarnated. You never did see the killer's face, after all..
The payoff, as Ken mentioned, was mindblowingly anti-climactic. To each their own, I suppose.
------------------
If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.

Ken_Pro

Grip
I LOVE this movie! I saw it in a theatre a couple of years ago and it was one of the few times I've been in a jam-packed crowd at a great 70s flick...and in the end it got huge applause. Argento is a maestro.
I also picked up the beautiful 3-disc set yesterday and can't wait to plunge in again.....
"Witch!!!!"

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Just like to chime in here and say that this is a great flick and I am very happy with the dvd. Just got the 3 disc limited edition today and I must say it is great. Also matthew that is one of the funniest signatures I have ever seen. Peace

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I'll give the film another try. I think I was expecting too much due to all the hype... Incidentally Brett, if you like my .sig you must read the articles I pulled it from. There is a link in the sig...
------------------
[Edited last by Matthew_Millheiser on September 13, 2001 at 09:12 PM]

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Suspiria said:
And your saying that Halloween doesn't establish mood & atmosphere? Well that's your opinion and you certainly have a right to express it....and I have a right to disagree with that opinion because IMO damn near the first hour of Halloween is used in the set-up of mood & atmosphere.
But then again that's just my opinion.
biggrin.gif

------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i love this 3 disc set...only thing that bugs me is the way the gift cards were cramped into the front case. with those in there, it's hard to close the set back up. plus, mine seem a little misaligned and some of the corners were bent.
no big deal though. great set. this has been my most-wanted Argento title, but after watching it i think still like Tenebre, Phenomenon, and Deep Red more.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
confused.gif
Call me Captain Obvious but what are you watching Suspiria for then guy?
Two words: endless accolades.
I watched this movie simply due to the amount of praise and positive word-of-mouth. Again, while I generally loathe "Slasher" films, I don't hate all of them; I will watch anything that is well-written, well-acted, well-directed, or even just a LOT of fun to watch.
biggrin.gif

I don't think Suspiria really is any of those four. It's not a bad film but again, it didn't do it for me. Your mileage may vary...
In case you're interested, these are the type of horror/terror films I do enjoy:
  • Night of the Living Dead (original)
  • Dawn of the Dead
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • The Exorcist
  • Reanimator
  • Prince of Darkness
  • The Thing
  • The Serpent and the Rainbow
  • Silence of the Lambs
  • From Dusk Till Dawn
  • Angel Heart
  • Se7en
  • The Red Shoes
There's dozens more, but this is just a general list...Suspiria seemed to be only about tone, mood, and atmosphere, and the whole thing came off to me as being really cheesy. Alas...
------------------

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
So, should I get the LE or SE? Looks like the SE is an excellent value (DD, DTS, Anamorphic) with some places carrying as low as $14.99. Are the extras on the LE must have?
------------------
Michael Caicedo
Winter Park, FL
- At my signal, unleash hell...

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I love the 3-disc LE of this classic horror film. Suspiria has always been one of my all-time favorites. To those who can't get past the lapses in logic...what business do you have watching horror films, especially Dario Argento horror films. Horror films don't have to be "well written" or "well acted". Tell me, how many thespians were in the group of teens in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre? None if you ask me, but it was a damn scary film. Horror has to shock, horrify, and create and unpleasant atmosphere and/or feeling in the viewer. Suspiria does this in spades. I highly recommend it!

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Michael,
Short answer: Absolutely.
The LE is worth getting for the nearly hour-long documentary alone! It's one of the best "making-of/rememberance" documentaries I've yet seen on a DVD. The Golin soundtrack CD is pretty cool, too.
And: You can get the LE right now at Best Buy for $27.99! A great deal for a 3-disc set.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I definitely recommend the LE, but if you must get the single edition, I'd go to K-Mart. I just got back from my local K-Mart and they had an incredible sale on all their Columbia/Tristar and Anchor Bay DVDs. Halloween 5, Halloween, Maximum Overdrive, Suspiria, The Wicker Man, Evil Dead II, Children of the Corn...all for just $12.99 each!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks