Wonderful Blue Underground horror news

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Simon Caleb, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Simon Caleb

Simon Caleb Stunt Coordinator

Fangoria.com have just listed the following for release by Bill Lustig's wonderful outfit.

Over at Fangoria.com they mentioned this,

October 28: DEAD box, DARK NIGHT DVD and more from Blue Underground
    At the New York screening last night of David Gregory’s documentary THE GODFATHERS OF MONDO, part of Blue Underground’s amazing eight-DVD MONDO CANE COLLECTION, the company’s Jay Douglas gave Fango the scoop on some exciting horror titles on tap for 2004. “We’ve just secured THE GHOST GALLEON [a.k.a. HORROR OF THE ZOMBIES] and we’re working on getting NIGHT OF THE SEAGULLS,” he says, referring to the third and fourth films in Amando De Ossorio’s Knights Templar series.
    “We already have TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD and RETURN OF THE BLIND DEAD, and we’re planning to do the ultimate BLIND DEAD boxed set for next year.” Other projects in the works include:

• ONE DARK NIGHT, the directorial debut of Tom (FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI) McLoughlin, with Meg Tilly in her first starring role as a high-school girl contending with reanimated corpses in a mortuary

• MOSQUITO, Gary Jones’ fun giant-insects-amok feature, co-starring Gunnar Hansen and the Stooges’ Ron Asheton

• FAST COMPANY, David Cronenberg’s heretofore hard-to-see drag-racing drama starring William Smith, Claudia Jennings and John Saxon. Douglas says they’re working on getting Cronenberg involved in this project, and that all of these titles will have BU’s usual crop of extra features.

Excellent news on a Blind Dead BS, here's hoping they source the uncut Return of the Blind Dead! as available from various bootleg scum.
    Got to say I'm happy to see the monster bug splat fest Mosquito getting a rerelease, the original Image Ent' dvd is a little lacking in the picture department, roll on a Gunnar Hansen running com!

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Excellent news of the Templar series. I finally broke down and bought the Brentwood bootlegs of the 3rd and 4th Templar films, despairing of them ever being released otherwise in the US, but I'll certainly upgrade to the authorized BU versions which are sure to be miles ahead of these.

3. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Cool news on the Blind Dead flicks. I'll definitely be Netflixing them, as I've only seen the first two, and that was on VHS (though a good VHS from Anchor Bay).

This company is just awesome.

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Blue Underground is fast becoming my favorite genre film releasing company.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Amando De Ossorio’s Knights Templar Trilogy!

Fast Company - at LONG, LONG last!

Hhhhhhmmmm!

[Ecstatic, fevered glee] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All good thing come to thems that wait!

This news has made my day, Simon - cheers! [​IMG]

Gordy

6. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

You go, BU! You'll definitely be getting more of my $$$ next year.

I've always wanted to see those other two Blind Dead flicks. Glad I waited for better versions.

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Knights Templar Quadrilogy, actually (or Tetralogy for those a. without an OED or b. wanting not to relate Ossorio to the Alien films). [​IMG]

8. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

I'm told that Cronenberg is recording a commentary for the FAST COMPANY disc. A brave man and a cinematic genius.

9. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

This is some of the best news I've heard in a good while! I've been dying to have ONE DARK NIGHT and FAST COMPANY on DVD forever now, and BU has come through yet again and are making my wishes a reality! I am also very happy to hear that they will do a SE of MOSQUITO, as it is easily of of the most fun horror films I've seen, and the DVD out now isn't that great. Also, I just saw the first two BLIND DEAD films recently, and I must say I will definitely get the box set!

10. Simon Caleb

"This news has made my day, Simon - cheers!
    Gordy"

You're welcome! It totally blew me away & made my week, which has been so stressful, due to my OTT Halloween decorations this year.

Anyhow, 2004 is really shaping up to be another golden year for me, first off AB announced EvilSpeak unrated SE, then Paramount blabbed about uncut F13th box set, now not only will i be buying a Blind Dead box set, but I also read they will all be 16x9 remasters with Return of the Blind Dead containing even more footage than the original Spanish release!! be still my beating heart :b

Honestly, all I need now is to hear that My Bloody Valentine Unrated Edition is coming soon, that would just finish me off.

I'm a huge fan of MOSQUITO too, though I'm in the minority, can't wait to see what BU do with it...

11. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

I'm more excited about their Alan Clarke releases (Scum and Made in Britain). Of course they've been out in R2 forever but it's time Clarke got some more exposure here in R1-land.

12. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Hey, One Dark Night! I remember that one! It had a girl who spent the whole movie with a toothbrush in her mouth! Never seen the others, but thanks to BU for delivering the old cult fodder for us Horror Freaks! [​IMG] to Blue Underground.

Now if only Netflix would carry their stuff. [​IMG]

13. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

and one more plug for BU: lest anyone forget-they are putting out a DONE RIGHT edition of THE FINAL COUNTDOWN with Kirk Douglas, next June...

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

15. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but what the heck happened to the plans for the Tombs of the Blind Dead Quarilogy!?!

It has completely disappeared from the Blue Underground website, and I unfortunately sold off my (now long out-of-print) DVD of the first two films from Anchor Bay when I heard BU was working on this.

IF BU has abandoned the project, has anyone else picked it up (like Media Blasters/Shriek Show)?

-Lyle J.P.

16. Simon Caleb

There's an interview on one of the main horror news sites, Bill Lustig states they have a signed & sealed deal with all four Blind Dead movies. The hold up is good enough elemnets for the fourth movie, rest assured it will happen, sometime mid to late 2005.

Simon

17. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

I spoke with Blue Underground just a few weeks ago, and was told that they would be released in 2005. I had asked the same questions as it was on the website and then gone.

I was also told that the Giallo Volume 2 was also still in the works and would also show up in 2005.

18. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Cool! Thanks Guys! [​IMG]

(Wow, that response was fast! HTF Rocks!)

-Lyle J.P.

19. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Who now has the rights to a new anamorphic QUATERMASS IN THE PIT that has been rumored? BU or AB?

20. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will
    I'm looking forward to BU's versions of Mark of the Devil and Late Night Trains.