Wonderfalls 1.03 - Wound-Up Penguin (03/26/04)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Robert Ringwald, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Here we are, now with episode 3. I believe like episode 2, it was filmed later, but intended to air 3rd.

Tonight's episode apparently deals with Jaye finding a woman hiding out in the barrel, who's apparently a nun.

Looks to be more dramatic than the last two. The TV spot I saw didn't really grab me, but the earlier ones for the show didn't either... FOX just must not know how to promote these things...

The episode starts tonight 9/8 central. Keep your eyes open.

I also like how the titles seem to represent the supporting characters, as animals, except the pilot (wax lion). Last week's episode was Karma Chameleon, about a girl who copies Jaye's life, kind of like a chameleon, and tonight's about a nun (penguin), who appears to be wound up according to the title...

2. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

"Tupperware is not an eating vessel."

[​IMG]

Oh, and I guess the show is moving to Thursday?

[​IMG]

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I guess Fox was pleased enough with the encore of the pilot on Thursday to give that timeslot a shot. Maybe that'll quell the incessant "time slot of death!!!!!" chants. [​IMG]

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Uh-uh. Now they'll be "well, of course it got clobbered! Those idiots at Fox put it on against CSI and The Apprentice!"

Doesn't speak well of Forever Eden, though, does it, to get demoted from Monday to Thursday to Friday (if a Wonderfalls-Eden swap is what's going on)?

Anyway, I found this episode a marked improvement over last week. Not nearly so frenetic, Jaye got to be cool more than bitchy. I also noticed that they didn't spend much time in the gift store; I guess that set just makes the character cranky.

5. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

This ep was *much* better than last week. For me, it was LOL again, but the pace felt a bit uneven at times. Ready for next week! [​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'd rate this episode my least favorite of the 3 so far, the writers seemed to be working too hard in the entire episode, and it showed.

7. Robert Ringwald

It was fun, but nothing close to the pilot. I enjoy that the actually kept the lion around with her. I saw it in her car and was like "She put it on the dashboard!" And then later she pulled it off and held it up. I thought that was really funny.

The show's apparently just testing Thursday for a single epsisode. www.zap2it.com says that the pilot actually scored higher ratings on Thursday than it did on the Friday slot. So hopefully they'll see this one and Tru Calling as a good combo.

Jason, I do think Thursday isn't the best place to put it in, but it's much better than Friday apparently, and FOX is likely noticing that with this show.

8. Robert Ringwald

Just to add quickly. Both Wonderfalls and Playing it Straight have dropped on Friday in the ratings, since their respective pilots.

Wonderfalls apparently was getting less than PIS in the last few weeks, however, last night...

playing it straight - 2.1/4
    Wonderfalls - 2.3/4

That might be saying something. It certainly dropped a little less than the show that was it's lead-in.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Ack! Worked late and didn't have the DVR set to record it, so I missed it. Will they repeat it next Thursday?

10. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Dave: No, that's when they're showing the new episode.

11. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Right now Fox has a reality show and a sci-fi/fantasy show on both Thrusday and Friday, they're probably hoping this switch will help solidify the audience by having two shows in the same genre on each night.

12. Robert Ringwald

I think it's a good idea. With Tru Calling and Wonderfalls, it's kind of a better pair than Wonderfalls and Playing it Straight.

13. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Bad move. The only reason it did well in the Thrusday slot was because it was up against the NCAA tourney and not the knockout combo of Survivor & CSI.

I am also becoming less and less enthused about the show. I nodded off a couple of times before I got through this one.

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Wait a minute... I thought that the NBA tournement was why Wonderfalls was flailing!

Not that there's really any such thing as a good timeslot for a new show.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Am I the only one that can't get the title song out of their head?

16. Robert Ringwald

Nope, it's been in there since I listened to the music video a few weeks ago.

Since the show started, it's still in there...

At least it's a good song... [​IMG]

"We're bobbin' along..."

17. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Of course you can't, because it's by Andy Partridge! [​IMG]

Seriously, Partridge has quite a knack for catchy melodies. I recommend some of the albums from his band, XTC, particularly Skylarking and Oranges & Lemons. There's also a collection called Upsy Daisy Assortment with some of the band's more accessible songs.

Or, you could just buy "Wonderfalls" on its own from the iTunes music store for 99 cents.

18. Robert Ringwald

I'm going to wait for the soundtrack album. There's supposed to be one in the works. [​IMG]

19. Eddy-C

Eddy-C Supporting Actor

Never mind.

I should really read all of the posts.

20. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I just read that not only Wonderfalls is being relocated to Thursdays but so his KIngdom Hospital at the same time. Its going to be so oversaturated it's going to be a mess.