What's new

Wonderfalls 1.01 - Wax Lion **Pilot - Friday 3/12/04** (1 Viewer)

Evan M

Second Unit

I think her attitude was adequately addressed as well. In the first bar scene... (Again, I am not quoting verbatim, just the gist of it..) she said something to the effect of "Look at my family, they work hard and are completely dissatisfied. I can be dissatisfied and not work at all"

Gave me the impression that she is kinda in a rut of "What's the point of anything?" thinking so she just doesn't care. The point of the show is apparently to get her to kinda see a bigger picture that there is a point to life, and there are things worth working for.. etc. etc.

But, I agree her character needs more developing... but, if they started with a likeable, loveable, happy all the time character.. what would the show be about? :)
It will be very interesting to see how her character develops over the next few episodes.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I live in the Bay area near San Francisco and theres a lot of people including myself that have to do other things becuase there are no opening in the field you train in. I went to school to be a Graphic Designer and I am doing Admin work, so it's not always a choice.

Pays the bills.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I believe the joke there is that kid was equally apathetic, and only after he got the promotion -- for whatever borderline reason -- did he become "super-manager".

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
She just happened to be a little less of a people person.

Personally, I think she's got the ability to be nice, but she's got to have something unlock it inside of her, which is where the talking animals come into play. She was picked BECAUSE of the way she is...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
yeah, that sounds right in hindsight.

Wonderfalls has a lot of potential. The premise great. I love the talking lion; his broken nature and earnest advice were compelling. The "Strange Luck" echoes in the story line grabbed me. I just hope they improve the characters and story details to flesh out the show and bring it all together. :)

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
i thought the show was okay..basically joan of arcadia on crack or acid as other reviewers described it

but i'm afraid it's another Fox Friday DOA show

they really should've premiered this during the summer like they did with the OC..that way there would've been nothing else to watch and people would've at least tuned in to give it a shot

the OC is doing pretty well in its timeslot after building the summer audience

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I hope you are wrong but you may be right. Even my roomated said that he loved the show but he didnt think it would survive and brought up another show he liked from last year, Miracles, that dissapeared after a handful of episodes.

This from Eonline...

Q: From caffeineaholic: Wonderfalls was
fantastic! But does it have a chance of
actually sticking around?

A: Why you gotta rain on my parade? Okay, here's
the dealio: Wonderfalls did
not pull in the best ratings--it placed
fourth and received about the same
ratings as the last episode of Boston Public.
But it's all about growth and
momentum--up, up, up! We're really going to
have to depend on word of mouth
on this one, peeps. So, how about this? You
email 10 people you know right
now, and tell them they must watch the repeat
of the pilot this Thursday on
Fox! C'mon, I dare you. I triple-dog dare
you.

Jeff Gordon

Agent

YES. However, she is much more attractive. Anyone else think she looks like a young Rena Sofer? It's the eyes that get me.:)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I am seeing a lot of people compare the show to other things like Dead Like Me or Amelie . How about judging it on it's own merits?

I think she does look like a young Rena Sofer.

Has anyone see the music video on Fox.com? The lead actress is in it. I love the song and downloaded it from itunes.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It's by XTC's Andy Partridge. Apparently Tim Minear approached him and he came up with 6 songs for Wonderfalls, and Tim chose "I Wonder Why The Wonder Falls" as the theme song. It starts with episode 2 on Friday. :)

It's catchy, and the music video is kind of cool. :)

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I liked the show and plan to keep watching it for as long as it's on. Unfortunately, it's on Fox on Friday which doesn't bode well for it...remember Firefly.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
9pm slot on Friday is not bad for this show, I think it could work, but Fox has to give it some space to breathe. And staging it after 'Joan' was a wise Move, like The Apprentice after Survivor, folks will find this show, if its quality.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

So why put a good show on at all if it is going to be wasted and doesnt find an audience?
Why have people invest their time and get involved with a show and the characters and then have it yanked off the air???
There are a lot of people out there that wont give a new show a chance for that very reason.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I have to disagree. I'd rather watch a series for 10 weeks to have it cancelled than not enjoy it at all...

Would I rather have 15 episodes of a cancelled Firefly, or NONE at all? 15...

Wonderfalls has 13 filmed episodes, and they are supposed to tell a story that could likely conclude at episode 13... so at least you have 13 entertaining stories to watch.

I think cancelling Firefly was because it was shedding total viewers every week... not gaining at all. The show was just too expensive.

Wonderfalls is probably a lot cheaper to produce, and assuming the ratings go up, even by a little bit each week... (word of mouth), I think it's possible it can succeed.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Those people, to put it bluntly, are stupid.

To answer the first question, the network seldom knows something will be "wasted". Four years ago, when CBS was programming Friday, they "knew" that The Fugitive was a sure thing and that CSI was a risk that might do all right in between The Fugitive and Nash Bridges. Predicting what viewers will do, or how they'll respond to something unusual, is extremely difficult.

Fox, especially, does this big-time - they develop unusual programs, because they know that while the audience will decisively reject a lot of them, likely resulting in them being yanked off the air much quicker than the folks who like them can stand, a distinctive hit like The Simpsons or The X-Files is gold to them, and justifies the failures.

As to the second question, I'll give the same answer I always do - a few hours of good TV. Maybe I don't have a guarantee of good TV next Friday, but I could have a stroke between now and then. In the meantime, I've enjoyed the fruits of some talented peoples' labors, so the experience is a net positive.

Besides, what's the alternative? Being ABC and churning out three nights worth of family-comedy retreads, or being CBS/NBC and creating a glut of police procedurals (which I love, but I can also see how they're choking a certain amount of innovation)? Sure, you may be able to expect a certain baseline ratings success, but you likely won't ever achieve do anything extraordinary from either a business or artistic perspective.

Lots of great Fox shows flame out, but at least Fox is serving up great shows to enjoy for a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks