What's new

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm very disappointed with this release. So much so that I may just revert back to my DVD sets (I will have to check the quality on those again it has been ages). This series was shot on 35mm film, it should have looked amazing. I cannot believe how much DNR has been applied to it. Lynda Carter looks so artificial, with almost a soft glow about her, and so many other actors appear waxy also. It looks pretty bad in my opinion. This is the HD transfer we have, and we are stuck with it. A wasted opportunity.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm very disappointed with this release. So much so that I may just revert back to my DVD sets (I will have to check the quality on those again it has been ages). This series was shot on 35mm film, it should have looked amazing. I cannot believe how much DNR has been applied to it. Lynda Carter looks so artificial, with almost a soft glow about her, and so many other actors appear waxy also. It looks pretty bad in my opinion. This is the HD transfer we have, and we are stuck with it. A wasted opportunity.
Its not perfect but it looks a lot better than the DVDs

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
On Season 3, THE FINE ART OF CRIME has a weird error. In the last 20 minutes, every shot starts with a zoom out. The dvd doesn't do this. How did this happen?

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was okay with missing the Special Appearance by Stella Stevens credits, but this is too much, and I hope that WB offers replacement discs for this.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
It happens on DEATH IN DISGUISE, as well. Only this time, it is a continuous zooming in, starting with the opening credits, and continuing for about five minutes, into the next few scenes. Perhaps these were like this on the original masters and corrected for later IPs?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Sorry. I'm not attempting to contact them again. They obviously don't care so why bother. With all of these new issues, I'll just send the set back and wait for a corrected version to be released. It's easier.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Warner does care. But there’s a pandemic going on and the customer service department for home media is working remotely without the full resources of being in the office. Additionally, a company-wide restructuring was announced several weeks ago and the department is in flux. If there is a legitimate issue to address, their history indicates they will do so when they are able to.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I am trying to eliminate possibilities here...
I don't know much about scanning and remastering.
I would like to know what could cause this during that process...the scanner? someone hit "zoom in" "zoom out" while framing? The image area gets smaller/larger, and the computer is trying to keep up?
If none of those are possible, then this happened when the master was printed, and it was fine on later IPs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think anyone here will be able to offer a definitive answer for you. There are two basic possibilities: that the original film was shot this way and the zoom was edited out of early video masters (perhaps mistakenly) and the new master is correct, or an error was made during the new transfer process and the new master is incorrect. Without a statement from the studio or access to original elements to examine, I don’t think that any of us here can definitively say.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Yeah, I know. I don't like speculation, but when it comes to technology, it fascinates me. I just don't know the exact process of transferring and how it could electronically happen.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I suspect this happened when they formatted the image for 4x3 for the HD masters. When I first bought this show in HD from Google Play it was cropped to 16x9. More information was visible on the sides including light stands and crew members and the image was zoomed in to fill in the rest. This leads me to think the image was harvested full aperture and then properly formatted for 4x3. For some reason when doing that, this artificial zoom started showing. I also noticed it in the titles to "The Man Who Could Not Die."

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I would be happy with the DVD's IF they weren't the double sided monstrosities. I even tried buying episodes in SD on Amazon. They were the same exact stretched out, scrunched in episodes as the HD without the benefit of being HD. They were worse than the SD DVD's. I wasn't particularly impressed with the look of HD on the digital copies I bought. I couldn't tell an improvement over my DVD set when my blu-ray player upscaled it and those weren't all scrunched in at top and bottom. I guess, warts notwithstanding, the blu-ray is the way to go. I would pay just as much, if not more, for all 3 seasons on single sided DVD.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Curious. But do these issues also affect the HD digital streams on iTunes? Sounds like they would...

I had been debating about getting them on iTunes myself...

_Man_

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The video issues are being corrected. No word yet on when replacement discs will be available. I will let everyone know. Thanks, WB!

May I ask what email address you used to contact them? Obviously you got a super fast response. I've been waiting over 3 weeks for them to respond and nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks