Wonder Woman: The Complete Collection (1975-1979) Blu-ray -- July 28th, 2020

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Is it known if this series exists on film or is it just on SD video. Were special effects done on film or video? It started a few years earlier than ST Next Gen and that was only on video before its blu ray restoration. Can't see Warner Bros spending the type of money on this that CBS spent on Star Trek. In other words will this be like "Farscape" blu ray.

At least the discs shouldn't be flippers. I don't think the series was ever released on single sided discs on DVD.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Can't see Warner Bros spending the type of money on this that CBS spent on Star Trek.
I agree-- I think Warner Bros. will just put this on Blu as it was in the DVD all-in-one; just a straight throw to Blu, no remastering (unlike CBS' Trek releases [those of O-R NBC 60s and TNG]).

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is it known if this series exists on film or is it just on SD video. Were special effects done on film or video? It started a few years earlier than ST Next Gen and that was only on video before its blu ray restoration. Can't see Warner Bros spending the type of money on this that CBS spent on Star Trek. In other words will this be like "Farscape" blu ray.

At least the discs shouldn't be flippers. I don't think the series was ever released on single sided discs on DVD.
This would have been shot and completed on 35mm film. Video post-production didn't start becoming commonplace until the mid-eighties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garysb and TravisR

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Actually, it was, but with fewer discs, and more episodes per disc, IIRC.

AndyMcKinney

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I guess the other question mark is will the pilot episode be the true, "New Original" 1975 pilot film version, or will it be the same (revised) April 1976 version that was previously released on the DVD set. I don't think the original version (with certain scenes played straight instead of campy) has been seen since its original network broadcast.

DeWilson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I guess the other question mark is will the pilot episode be the true, "New Original" 1975 pilot film version, or will it be the same (revised) April 1976 version that was previously released on the DVD set. I don't think the original version (with certain scenes played straight instead of campy) has been seen since its original network broadcast.
Well, since WB did already remaster these for the DCU streaming service, what version did they use for that? I'm guessing these(Like the SHAZAM!) are the same HD transfers done for the service.

DeWilson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
please, oh please tell me they are working on "The Adventures of Superman" as well, including the film
Actually, that's unlikely to happen. It's been reported by key researchers and experts in AOS fan circles that WB's attitude is "No one wants that old series..." and the studio doesn't want to spend the time or energy to do anything with it. Sorry...

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I saw the "straight" scene version once on Sci-Fi I think or it might have been on the Columbia House VHS release. I prefer Red Buttons rolling his eyes and looking the other way when he tries shooting at her because he already *knows* it's not going to work!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk

The pilot episode did have some flying effects done on video, so those will look bad, but beyond that I think the rest of it was done on film.

I hope the aspect ratio is correct on these. The versions I bought from Google Play are blown up to 1.78:1 and it throws off the compositions and you see light stands and crew members from time to time. Also the episode "The Man Who Could Not Die" is missing the teaser. Hopefully none of these issues are present on the Blu-ray set.

And if you like "Wonder Woman" may I recommend this 3-CD set, currently on sale from La-La Land Records?

Neil

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
A.R. is almost guaranteed to be 4x3, though Warner has apparently done 16x9 HD versions as well. As I understand it, iTunes had the 16x9 ones, while DC Universe had the 4x3 ones. But more recently, iTunes has switched over to 4x3. Some of the episodes were shortened versions from syndication, but someone in the blu-ray.com thread has reported that those have been upgraded to complete versions.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
A.R. is almost guaranteed to be 4x3, though Warner has apparently done 16x9 HD versions as well. As I understand it, iTunes had the 16x9 ones, while DC Universe had the 4x3 ones. But more recently, iTunes has switched over to 4x3. Some of the episodes were shortened versions from syndication, but someone in the blu-ray.com thread has reported that those have been upgraded to complete versions.
The pilot episode to season 2 is the only one still to not be in the original 4x3 frame instead it's still in 16x9 mode at DC Universe.

• Appreciate
Reactions: jayembee

Sean Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Proceed with caution but I think they'll use the 1.33 AR. Has Warners messed up the aspect ratio on any of their Blu-rays TV shows? Even older cartoons, which could easily be cropped for a child audience, have been in their correct 1.33.
I noticed 2 weekends ago, Warner replaced my purchase of the 16x9 HD episodes of Wonder Woman with the remastered versions in OAR 4:3. Safe to say the blu will be OAR.

morasp

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
The Wonder Woman picture quality on MeTV was very good, better than my DVDs.

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The pilot episode to season 2 is the only one still to not be in the original 4x3 frame instead it's still in 16x9 mode at DC Universe.
Good call! I purchased them from Google Play a few years ago and seasons 1 and 2 are now 4x3. Season 3 is still 16x9 and still missing the teaser from "The Man Who Could Not Die."

Neil

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granite11