What's new

Wonder Woman (2017) (2 Viewers)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Was anyone else waiting for her to bust out "Part of Your World" when she was on the beach with him? Or have I been watching too much Little Mermaid with my daughter?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I really liked the bit with the secretary at the end of the clip. Good, pointed levity, which the Synder movies have been lacking.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There's a ham-handed mashup of the two properties on YouTube, but I'm sure there will be some better ones created when we get more beach footage. :D

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, I can't put any weight on an anonymous source trashing something like this.

The Internet is too filled with bogus stuff from people with an agenda or who are just looking to troll.

Patty Jenkins did quickly respond saying that this is bullshit.

I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It seems strange to me to even respond to this. I understand WB is under pressure due to the poor critical response to BvS and Suicide Squad, but Wonder Woman is still 10 moths away. There is a risk of this setting a precedent for every time an anonymous source states one of their films is having problems.
This story was getting traction, so they had to nip it in the bud before it started defining the behind-the-scenes narrative.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This story was getting traction, so they had to nip it in the bud before it started defining the behind-the-scenes narrative.
I'm sure you're right and they're probably right for denying the allegation but it just seems like dignifying the story gives more ammo to the media and 'fans' that are rooting for DC movies to fail. It's like the people who wanted to get rid of Rotten Tomatoes due to the Suicide Squad reviews, the only thing that happened was that a lot more people heard that that movie was bad than if they had just shut up.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure you're right and they're probably right for denying the allegation but it just seems like dignifying the story gives more ammo to the media and 'fans' that are rooting for DC movies to fail. It's like the people who wanted to get rid of Rotten Tomatoes due to the Suicide Squad reviews, the only thing that happened was that a lot more people heard that that movie was bad than if they had just shut up.
I think to a certain extent Wonder Woman is falling victim to the tail wagging the dog when it comes to the DC Cinematic Universe. Marvel built its cinematic universe plank by plank with three well-reviewed films in Iron Man, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger that also got great word of mouth. Iron Man 2 was more polarizing, but even that got audiences interested in Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow. The remaining less well-reviewed film was The Incredible Hulk, but thanks to the recasting of Bruce Banner that kind of occupies a gray area in MCU inclusion. Then, when they finally did the team up movie, they hit it out of the park with The Avengers that was well received by both critics and audience members. Going into the post team-up movies, they'd built up a lot of good will.

DC started with a polarizing standalone movie in Man of Steel. And then, rather than try and lay down additional planks, Warner Bros. jumped right into the team up movie, which again got a mixed reception. They followed it up with a villain team-up movie where none of the villains had appeared in the previous movies, to poor reviews and another divided audience reaction.

So Wonder Woman unfairly has all of the baggage of those other three movies attached to it, even though it had a great trailer and Gal Gadot was one of the highlights of BvS as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The remaining less well-reviewed film was The Incredible Hulk, but thanks to the recasting of Bruce Banner that kind of occupies a gray area in MCU inclusion.

I agree with everything else in your post, but I'm a little confused by your "gray area" comment - the movie is absolutely part of the MCU canon. Besides the real-world signs that indicate that it's part of the series (for instance, its inclusion in the "Phase One" Blu-ray box set), or the in-movie signs that it's part of the series (Downey appearing in it as Tony Stark), or the post-release signs (a Marvel One-Shot from a later Marvel disc release that goes into the backstory of Stark showing up where he does in Incredible Hulk), there are two things that I think absolutely leave no doubt that Incredible Hulk is part of the canon:

- In "Marvel's The Avengers", Banner (now played by Ruffalo) says "The last time I was in New York, I kinda broke Harlem" (a direct reference to the finale of the film)
and
- In "Captain America: Civil War", William Hurt reprises his role as General Ross

To me, there's absolutely no gray are about Incredible Hulk being part of the series, and there's overwhelming evidence that Marvel feels the same.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I agree with everything else in your post, but I'm a little confused by your "gray area" comment - the movie is absolutely part of the MCU canon. Besides the real-world signs that indicate that it's part of the series (for instance, its inclusion in the "Phase One" Blu-ray box set), or the in-movie signs that it's part of the series (Downey appearing in it as Tony Stark), or the post-release signs (a Marvel One-Shot from a later Marvel disc release that goes into the backstory of Stark showing up where he does in Incredible Hulk), there are two things that I think absolutely leave no doubt that Incredible Hulk is part of the canon:

- In "Marvel's The Avengers", Banner (now played by Ruffalo) says "The last time I was in New York, I kinda broke Harlem" (a direct reference to the finale of the film)
and
- In "Captain America: Civil War", William Hurt reprises his role as General Ross

To me, there's absolutely no gray are about Incredible Hulk being part of the series, and there's overwhelming evidence that Marvel feels the same.

Oh yeah. The Incredible Hulk is definitely MCU Cannon.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
http://deadline.com/2016/08/patty-jenkins-says-wonder-woman-not-a-mess-1201803156/

It seems strange to me to even respond to this. I understand WB is under pressure due to the poor critical response to BvS and Suicide Squad, but Wonder Woman is still 10 moths away. There is a risk of this setting a precedent for every time an anonymous source states one of their films is having problems.
There's just some people who aren't happy with the current DCEU and want WB to reboot everything, so they are going to target Wonder Woman. The trailer looks great and Gal was one of the highlights of BvS, I think it will be the breakout movie WB wants.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with everything else in your post, but I'm a little confused by your "gray area" comment - the movie is absolutely part of the MCU canon.
I definitely wasn't implying that Marvel's ignoring it; RBJ's cameo at the end and the inclusion of William Hurt as Thunderbolt Ross in Civil War makes it pretty clear that Marvel has always intended it to be part of the MCU.

What I meant by "gray area" is it has relatively little overlap with the rest of the films, so that as a viewer I could watch The Avengers with the Ruffalo Banner/Hulk and just fill in the generic Hulk backstory and be fine. You don't need to see The Incredible Hulk to be up to speed if you have even a passing familiarity with the character's backstory.

I know the Ruffalo Hulk is supposed to be a part of the next Thor film. If they ever do another standalone Hulk movie, it'll be interesting to see if they bring back Liv Tyler as Betty Ross.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Stunning new poster (click to enlarge):
WonderWoman-0005.jpg

New trailer is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks