Cameron Yee
joshua-min-fight-1-b.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought the fx in the final sequence were great. Who's saying it was bad? First I've heard that.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I thought the fx in the final sequence were great. Who's saying it was bad? First I've heard that.

I've scrubbed through several movie discussion places online where the f/x in the final sequence was given pretty low scores. There's a bit of piling on that happens too, one person declares the sequences to be low grade, another agrees, etc.

I did get somewhat of a blue screen kind of feel for some of it, but that never really bothers me all that much. There's a specific trick they pulled off when Diana was....
...manipulating lightning in her hands just before she killed Ares. That shot of her face with her hands in frame, just sort of weaving the lightning around stays on screen for a long while. They placed some sort of flashing LED in her hands or just off camera, and it repeatedly blinked in a rapid triple-blink cadence, which was meant to be the lightning reflecting off her face. It was so mechanical and repetitive so as to call attention to itself. Most people wouldn't notice, but I am a lighting nerd being a studio photographer. :)

I've also seen the film in theaters 4 times, so you start to spot things and then look for them on subsequent viewings.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I bet I know the website you're speaking of. The "other" site. Ugh.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've also seen the film in theaters 4 times, so you start to spot things and then look for them on subsequent viewings.

Not specific to the last act of WW, but one thing I appreciated in how WW was shot vs. BvS. I think the camera in Batman V Superman spends too much time leering at Wonder Woman, and in particular, there are a few "upskirt" style shots during the final battle vs. Doomsday that are completely inappropriate. It's not something I was looking for but something that really stood out on a giant IMAX screen. I understand sex sells and that they've cast an attractive actress and all of that, but the character is meant to be more than just a pin-up model, and none of the male superheroes in that battle scene are being photographed that way. You've got action and drama cutting between Batman showing his mortality by not being able to really hold his own in the fight and being forced to the sidelines, Superman being heroic by rescuing Lois Lane and deciding to lay down his own life, and then the camera randomly cutting to shots of Wonder Woman's legs, rear and underwear. It's like, "which of these things is not like the other?"

I am really glad that she was photographed with more respect for the character in the Wonder Woman movie.

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
For sure Josh. The two movies are somewhat contrasty that way.

Kinda found that one of the dresses she wore in one of the formal scenes was pretty eye catching as well. Nothing wrong with that, but coupled with your comment it's a bit of a theme.

Jenkins did a much better job keeping the focus on WW as the hero. Even the slow climb up the ladder for her hero reveal in the No Man's Land scene was tasteful, in spite of the shots being very tight.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I bet I know the website you're speaking of. The "other" site. Ugh.

It's possible! This particular place is for open discussion of just about anything. You do have to trudge through some pretty thick nonsense sometimes. It's got it's entertainment value. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Kinda found that one of the dresses she wore in one of the formal scenes was pretty eye catching as well. Nothing wrong with that, but coupled with your comment it's a bit of a theme.

The dress didn't bother me either - that was a good use of the Gadot's natural beauty (or the character's). In those formal scenes, especially the one at Lex's party, she's trying to keep her identity a secret while getting some undercover work and some thieving done. It's to the character's advantage to both be appropriately dressed for those formal occasions, and to allow herself to be dismissed as eye candy by anyone who would think twice about it, so that her character is able to accomplish her missions. I totally get that.

But at the point that the camera is moving between her legs during a fight scene - that's just so unnecessary. Yes, we get it, she's hot, but is that really the point of that scene? A few minutes later, Superman is lying dead on the ground and the film soon is going out on a somber note; the film is trying to provoke strong emotions of grief and sadness in the audience, with a dash of hope and resolve. Whether or not it succeeds at accomplishing that goal, the film is going for a somber ending, and those upskirt shots really don't match the mood. How does seeing Wonder Woman's underwear fit in with any of that?

Jenkins did a much better job keeping the focus on WW as the hero. Even the slow climb up the ladder for her hero reveal in the No Man's Land scene was tasteful, in spite of the shots being very tight.

Agreed! Gal Gadot is a beautiful woman, so naturally Diana/Wonder Woman is beautiful onscreen. There's nothing wrong with that, and "Wonder Woman" even uses that to its advantage as a plot point, showing how the men underestimate her, and how she triumphs each time in spite of that adversity. It's ok to photograph her in a way that shows off her natural beauty. It's ok to make a point that she's great looking and looks good in her uniform; WB/DC did the same with Henry Cavill in his Superman suit, and Marvel does it with their male leads all the time. But none of those men are photographed in a way where the camera seems to be sneaking into areas that they haven't put in display. In Man Of Steel, at least one character points out that Superman is hot, but the camera doesn't try to see up his trunks when all of that horrific 9/11 style violence is happening at the end of Man Of Steel. I can't imagine it was ever even a consideration - "we need to remind the audience that Henry Cavill is hot and super sexual" - so it's a little bizarre that they deemed it necessary for Gal Gadot. Jenkins shoots her much better; Jenkins isn't afraid to let the camera show that Gadot is indeed beautiful, but that's not the whole point of Jenkins' photography either.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
The dress didn't bother me either - that was a good use of the Gadot's natural beauty (or the character's). In those formal scenes, especially the one at Lex's party, she's trying to keep her identity a secret while getting some undercover work and some thieving done.

Sure. I mentioned the dress(es) more as a "not surprised they went this way over something conservative", than anything else. Didn't mind it. It could have been a ton more obvious.

It's absolutely true that there's not a whole lot of emphasis on the male hero anatomy in current superhero films. Joel Schumacher found out how well that tends to go over.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I liked WW. Maybe not as much as others probably due to the ultra high expectations from all the reviews. BUT I did like it. And looking forward to seeing it again.

Gadot is amazing. This may sound creepy but I couldn't take my eyes off her. ;) And I was sitting next to my girlfriend. :) "look at the amazing special effects" ;)

WowZA. Stunningly beautiful. Good actor as well.

Was good. Want to see again.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I liked WW. Maybe not as much as others probably due to the ultra high expectations from all the reviews. BUT I did like it. And looking forward to seeing it again.

Gadot is amazing. This may sound creepy but I couldn't take my eyes off her. ;) And I was sitting next to my girlfriend. :) "look at the amazing special effects" ;)

WowZA. Stunningly beautiful. Good actor as well.

Was good. Want to see again.

Tim, if your experience is anything like mine, you may be surprised that the emotional notes hit even harder on a second viewing. Gal does this thing where you kinda feel her sincerity and emotions more so than you might expect. I hope you do go see it again.

We've been somewhat overwhelmed with dark, brooding superheroes that an uplifting and positive one is something we're hungry for. This to a large degree I think explains why people are going in for 2nd and 3rd viewings. They just want to feel good about their heroes again.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I had to guess, that'll almost certainly move. I'll bet almost anything that Disney will release-date-voodoo Episode IX into that slot and then WW will move to another month.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel

This was exactly how I felt. I thought it was good, but was hoping for more after the reviews.

Tim, if your experience is anything like mine, you may be surprised that the emotional notes hit even harder on a second viewing.

This wouldn't surprise me, quite a few films I thought were good have improved on subsequent viewings.

Nice to see a sequel date announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks