What's new

Wonder Woman (2017) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is there a post credit scene? Sorry if anyone mentioned it earlier but I'm not reading anyone's comments until I see the movie tomorrow.

I made the mistake of consuming a far too large soda early in the movie and was in agony by the end - so even if there was a post credits scene, I would have definitely missed it!
There is an app (at least for the iPhone) that will help handle both these problems. It's called Runpee. Fire it up at the beginning of the movie and it will give you a buzz when a good pee-time occurs. It also lists any post-credit sequences.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
There is an app (at least for the iPhone) that will help handle both these problems. It's called Runpee. Fire it up at the beginning of the movie and it will give you a buzz when a good pee-time occurs. It also lists any post-credit sequences.

haha - that sounds interesting. But to be honest, I would rather suffer in my seat than inconvenience those around me and miss part of the movie to boot. It was totally my bad for not managing that better. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from seeing it. I enjoyed it. I didn't think it matched the best superhero movies, but it's much better than the likes of MOS and and BvS (which was horrible). I did get a bit impatient for her to fully realize her "superpowerdness". I mean,

Initially, she seemed little more than a pretty strong woman who was a good fighter. Then she gradually grows to be someone who can punch handholds in solid stone, and finally to a flying demigod. Early on, she shields herself from bullets, but by the end, the kind of physical punishment she takes from Ares indicates she hardly needs to anymore.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
To David's comment about the BvS ending - spoilers solely for BvS, no WW-movie content in comment:
The ending of Batman V Superman plays to me like writers writing, rather than an organic attempt at an ending. I don't buy it. I didn't like the theatrical version of the movie, but I did enjoy the extended version a lot... but the end nearly kills it for me, for the reason you point out. There's no logical reason for Superman to die to end that fight. He dies because the writers want his death and resurrection as a plot point, not because the story demands it. As the movie was scripted, staged, edited and shot, it looks like it would have been pretty easy for Superman to go, "Hey, Wonder Woman, I'm kinda allergic to this spear. You go stab the big monster, and I'll hold him still with your magic lasso rope while you get him." And you know what? I would have been more satisfied with that.
All the more reason to ignore the godawful BvS.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think it's kind of ridiculous to kill of a character that just can't be dispensed with.
Am I supposed to be all atwitter for the next couple of years wondering will they or won't they bring back Superman? They could have made it so the MoS couldn't have got it done without help, but pretending to kill him off?

Oops. A little late with the spoiler.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw this early on Tuesday with a full crowd that was extremely appreciative. I'm not surprised, but still glad, that it is doing so well at the box office. I absolutely hated Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman, so I wasn't really expecting much and was thrilled to be proven wrong with such a great film. Here's hoping DC can keep up this level of quality for future projects.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Intentionally went to see this at a Cinemark XD 2D screening - as 3D generally isn't worth it for me. Thoroughly enjoyed the film, and give it a solid 3.75/5, my only real gripes being some overacting and mediocre dialogue, but overall well worth the price of admission. I was skeptical at first that Gal Gadot could pull off the role, but she did a surprisingly good job.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought this was really good. A very entertaining and enjoyable movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Stories like this one show why Wonder Woman (the film) will continue to have cultural significance well beyond the box office:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...c-wonder-woman-crying-20170605-htmlstory.html

I felt like I was discovering something I didn’t even know I had always wanted. A need that I had boxed up and buried deep after three movies of Iron Man punching bad guys in the face, three more movies of Captain America punching bad guys in the face, a movie about Superman and Batman punching each other in the face and then “Suicide Squad.”

FWIW, I agree with every word in that piece.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
A bit over the top (IMHO) but I guess some folks are very sensitive to that kind of stuff.

I don't recall folks crying when the Wonder Woman TV show debuted, did folks cry and get emotional for that version??

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall folks crying when the Wonder Woman TV show debuted, did folks cry and get emotional for that version??

It wasn't designed to have an emotional impact. It was barely above the Batman TV series from the 60's in campiness. Very goofy. I think the theme song alone sets the tone of what is in store--roll eyes--for the viewer
It was a poorly written show(especially seasons 2, and 3).

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Agreed, but the underlying theme of a tough pretty woman who kicks mens butts in the name of America or whatever still held true back then. So did all the ladies who first tuned in start crying and telling their lady friends what an emotional ride it was seeing such a strong woman on TV vs. all the men-centric shows??

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A bit over the top (IMHO) but I guess some folks are very sensitive to that kind of stuff.

The point isn't the crying, it's that it struck a chord with people -- particularly people who aren't normally affected by super hero movies. Wonder Woman as a character has always meant something to women - she was featured on the cover of the first issue of Ms. magazine in the '70s, at the height of that's period's feminism culture. With all due respect to the TV show, which was a great deal of fun, TV shows of that era didn't have the same resonance. It's not fair to compare that show to this film. Also, this film comes at a time of heightened awareness of feminism - certainly a resurgence. Following the election last year, many women felt marginalized and were disappointed. This film touches something in them. That's great film making - making an emotional connection and timely relevance.

In any event, broadening the audience for these types of films can only help their success, which should bring about more great films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks