What's new

Wonder Woman (2017) (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm really not interested in any kind of "see the movie to make some kind of big sociopolitical statement" aspect, any more than I was when I watched Mrs. Peel in the 60s. I simply appreciated good stories with a smart, kickass woman.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm really not interested in any kind of "see the movie to make some kind of big sociopolitical statement" aspect, any more than I was when I watched Mrs. Peel in the 60s. I simply appreciated good stories with a smart, kickass woman.

I don't think it's a bad thing that the "girl power" emphasis behind "WW" has brought in new viewers, though.

My girlfriend usually expresses little interest in big Hollywood movies but she wanted to see this one, and not because I recommended it. I never brought it up - she independently noted that she wanted to go!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My wife - who sometimes enjoys the superhero movies and sometimes tolerates them - said she wanted to see Wonder Woman again.

I said my best guess is that the blu-ray will be out in October or November to coincide with the theatrical release of Justice League (Nov. 21).

She said she can't wait that long.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
My wife isn't into superhero movies either so I was pleasantly surprised when she said she wanted to see the movie after seeing the trailer. I agree with RobertR though. It's a well made film. If Gal Gadot bombed with her acting and the script was poorly written, it wouldn't be getting this feminist hype that it's getting right now.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
Saw this in IMAX 3D with my kids and I must say I felt like I was witnessing something really special on the big screen. Very reminiscent of watching Superman: The Movie, Batman 89, Spider-Man (2002) and Captain America: The First Avenger for the first time. I consider WW's existence within the DCEU to be a mere formality because it really belongs with the other films I just mentioned. I'm very glad that no other DCEU characters were ever shown or given cameos and that no other DCEU film was teased at the end. The Bruce Wayne she was emailing could have been any cinematic Bruce. And I say that just because this film really does deserve to shine as its own thing.

Gadot shined both in full costume and in street clothes. The Paradise Island and Belgium battles were absolutely amazing. The final battle was a tad generic but luckily the CG spectacle was merely a backdrop to the emotional climax at that point. The cinematography was gorgeous and the score was fantastic.

This is the first time I've ever really liked Chris Pine. He really found a role that suited him and he did a great job.

Recruiting rough and tumble "basterds" from a bar was obviously straight out of The First Avenger as was having a guy named Chris playing a guy named Steve who

sacrifices himself in a fictional plane filled with explosives at the end.
I see that someone here already pointed out that last bit.

Not as "perfect" a filmmaking work of art as say a BB or TDK and best acting in a superhero movie still would favor Logan but WW definitely holds its own as an origin story destined to be a genre classic. Diana rising from the trenches and advancing on the Germans in No Man's Land was instantly iconic. I'm also very impressed that it truly aspired to tell a compelling story and didn't just showcase dialogue scenes that existed for no other purpose than to set up the next action sequence. The quiet moments felt absolutely as essential as the battles and when the battles actually occurred they carried so much more weight because of it.

A rare movie that had my 10 year old daughter exclaiming "I want to see that again!" as we left the theater. "You mean I should get the blu-ray?" "Yeah but I also want to see it like 5 more times at the theater!" As a Dad who grew up with movies that made me feel that way in the 70's and 80's I must say it felt really good to share something like that with my own child.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
"The Bruce Wayne she was emailing could have been any cinematic Bruce. And I say that just because this film really does deserve to shine as its own thing."

However, if I'm not mistaken, that whole desk/email scene is a key scene that is tied specifically to BvS.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
"The Bruce Wayne she was emailing could have been any cinematic Bruce. And I say that just because this film really does deserve to shine as its own thing."

However, if I'm not mistaken, that whole desk/email scene is a key scene that is tied specifically to BvS.

Oh absolutely. Of course I know that her photo and emails are direct references to BvS but I just appreciate that they didn't actually shoehorn any other BvS specific moments into WW. So for someone only watching Wonder Woman it wouldn't feel incomplete.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think that scene was important because Justice League comes out in about five months so I can understand the tie in.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
For anyone who was confused about
how her sword could have been destroyed prior to Batman V Superman
the one she wields in that movie actually has a different hilt than the one from WW:

04a9a20533833e28f132e212a44959f815715e218324ba31b7664f3940bab53c.jpg

wonder-woman-gal-gadot-sword.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back. Loved it.

Saw it in IMAX 3D and thought the 3D was average at best.

Liked it more than the last Guardians film, Logan, the last Avengers film. Guess it's the best superhero film I've seen in years. Best of the D.C. Films of course (loved MOS and BvS tho).

Loved the vibe,the action scenes....hell just read any positive comment above and I agree with it. :)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Decided to see it in IMAX tomorrow. So that will be one showing in regular 2D, one in 3D ATMOS, and 3D IMAX tomorrow.

Might as well get all the perspectives on what is easily my favourite movie in a good while.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seeing it again in (my recently fixed/re aligned) Dolby Cinema Saturday night with the wife. She's gonna love it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Another thing about the movie that I particularly enjoyed was that the purpose of Diana's mission was one she gave herself, and it was something she believed in. Yes, there was a sort of personal connection with Ares, but mostly it was about Diana doing what she felt was right. (As she says at the end, "Only love could save the world.")

Contrast that with all the personal angst and issues from pretty much every other movie. The James Bond movies come to mind - for the first 25 years, the Bond films were about a man doing a job he believed in; for the last 28 years, the Bond films have been about a man on a personal vendetta. The first Batman film was personal (since they retconned the Joker as killing the Waynes), and so on.

In this regard, WW was a refreshing change of pace to something more classical.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I loved the WW1 (Wonder Woman 1 ;) )setting of the film. Like others have said it's a nice change from WWII. It also for me had a cool Raiders vibe.

The more I think about the film, the more I like it.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
My third viewing today in IMAX was fantastic. I am really glad I went for IMAX this time around. The 3D was more immersive.

New fave vibes.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Solid movie with a weak third act. The first two were quite entertaining.

So the average rating on the Rotten Tomatoes of 76% is spot on.

Chris Pine was the standout and as my friend remarked, he really seemed like a young William Shatner in this one.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So the average rating on the Rotten Tomatoes of 76% is spot on.

I thought the average was much higher than that. I guess the more people that see it, the more the score levels to a more average rating.

I still look forward to seeing it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks