Wonder Woman 1984 (2020) (1 Viewer)

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Why Wonder Woman 1984's Release Date Was Pushed Back

Wonder-Woman-Movie-Gal-Gadot.jpg

https://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-2-release-date-change-why/

Even though this is what many of us thought when news about this date change hit yesterday, this article is a good read explaining WB's and DC's motivations for doing it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1031073-patty-jenkins-teases-plans-for-wonder-woman-3

Patty Jenkins said:
“I have pretty clear plans for Wonder Woman 3. Whether I [direct] it or not, I see how her arc should end in my incarnation of Wonder Woman. I have great passion for that.”

1) I hope she does direct it.

2) It's interesting that she is definitively planning it as a trilogy arc with an ending, like Christopher Nolan did with his Batman movies. Given that WB is still invested in the overall DCEU (Aquaman, etc.), do you think they would actually let Patty Jenkins have the last word on Wonder Woman, or would they bring her back in some other movie beyond the trilogy?

This also raises the question of whether Jenkins' arc ends prior to or after the events of BvS and JL. Obviously, it's still the same version of the character who chronologically appears in those movies after the two Jenkins ones we know about.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The third one could be Wonder Woman 2040 or something and provide a concrete ending that still leaves plenty of room in between to tell contemporary stories as part of a larger framework.

But I find the whole DC cinematic universe to be a dumpster fire of failures and missed opportunities, Wonder Woman excluded, so I wouldn't mind if they did a trilogy of Wonder Woman stand-alone movies and then left it at that.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
2) It's interesting that she is definitively planning it as a trilogy arc with an ending, like Christopher Nolan did with his Batman movies. Given that WB is still invested in the overall DCEU (Aquaman, etc.), do you think they would actually let Patty Jenkins have the last word on Wonder Woman, or would they bring her back in some other movie beyond the trilogy?

I see no reason why they would stop using the Wonder Woman character, but letting Jenkins finish a trilogy like Nolan's would be a nice extension of the goodwill she and the franchise have already generated regarding female empowerment.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
According to Vanity Fair, Jenkins does not consider WW84 as a sequel.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/03/wonder-woman-1984-not-a-sequel

The article suggests that the story fills in the blanks about what Diana has been up to in the years leading up to the present day. Given that we've seen WW in present day and in WWI, I am struggling to reconcile that Steve Trevor is in WW84, yet in present time Diana upon seeing a photo of him, behaves as though she hadn't "seen" him since WWI. It will be interesting to see if/how they address this.

Some of the wording of the article makes me wonder if Jenkins is suggesting that WW stories can be told in multiple different time periods, and the same people can re-appear as though we are meeting them for the first time in these other time periods. I dunno.

I am still kinda bummed that this film is so far away.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I saw a comment from Jenkins that WW84 would be a stand-alone adventure, like an Indiana Jones film. That's a pretty good comparison.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Is this movie Set in 1984?

Then this would old armor?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That psychedelic poster coloring seems more like the 60's or 70's than the 80's.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I read today that Warner Bros. and DC are skipping Comic-Con this year. Considering that they have Joker, Birds of Prey and WW84 on the docket before next year's Comic-Con, the decision to skip a panel is kind of surprising.

Given that, I wonder when we'll actually see the first footage.

If they want to go early, maybe a teaser on the Joker movie? Alternatively, WB has a Melissa McCarthy comedy opening on December 20 opposite Star Wars which is their final release of 2019. That seems likely to get crushed.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Patty Jenkins stated on her twitter feed when posting this image that their marketing campaign for WW84 begins in December.

Edit: holy crap Adam and I typed that virtually simultaneously.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
December.

If WB wants to put it with their own movie, their December release would be the Melissa McCarthy film I mentioned above, which is called Superintelligence.

If they can get it in front of a movie that's not theirs, obviously the heavy hitter in December is Star Wars, plus Jumanji should do very well again.

Also, Sony has Greta Gerwig's Little Women opening on Christmas in terms of a film driven by several strong female characters in the center (and in the title.)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Alternatively, WB has a Melissa McCarthy comedy opening on December 20 opposite Star Wars which is their final release of 2019. That seems likely to get crushed.

Reminds me of the Tina Fey-Amy Poehler movie Sisters, which opened the same day as The Force Awakens. Amy Poehler was doing press for the movie and was asked about opening on the same day as The Force Awakens. She said, "Oh, we are going to fucking crush Star Wars."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks