What's new

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They've never been too worried about continuity between the films in the DC universe. Maybe they just ignore Steve's "end" in the prior film and don't explain it at all.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I am convinced this is not a prequel.

I can't imagine Patty contradicting her own WW film, in which Diana says in an email to Bruce Wayne "Thank you for bringing him back to me". That would imply that the last time she saw Steve was back in the war.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Steve Rogers

I think you mean Trevor, but it's interesting that you said Rodgers because if Trevor is brought back to life in the '80s, he would have the same out-of-time issues that Steve Rodgers has been dealing with in the MCU since being awoken from his ice nap.

As far as BvS and JL,I think they're just ignoring those, and I think they should. Getting hr to the "modern day" would man that they have to acknowledge the aftermath of JL directly, and that film was so flatly rejected by the masses, I don't think WB will be interested in doing that. I certainly am not interested in watching it, but sign me up for another period film that ignores Snyder's work altogether. But then I think WB should burn the DCEU to the ground except for Wonder Woman staying in period.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm thinking that Diana has an imaginary Steve in her head, and that's who she's seeing.

I like this idea, since it would allow us to have them together but in no way lessen the impact of his death in the previous fim.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Gal Gadot tweeted a pic of herself in her costume for WW1984 today:

DfzhghPX0AA4vHO.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
For all of my complaints about Snyder -- and I have many -- one thing he definitely got right was Michael Wilkinson's costume for Woman Woman. It passes the same test that the Christopher Reeve costume passed back in 1978: You take one look at it and instantly know what character it is. The design, halfway between the character's look and a Roman legionnaire or gladiator, felt organic to the mythology that Jenkins and company would flesh out in Wonder Woman.

And the later movies, which allowed the color back in and made some minor tweaks here and there, have only improved it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What's up with all the 80's love in TV, and cinema nowdays. Did "Stranger Things" start a trend of the 80's being hot again?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I hope the time period 1984 isn't a distraction. When I think of society in WWI, I think of a more classy society, when I think of 1984, I think of MTV and teenage culture. This one is taking place in America? I wasn't a fan of American politics circa 1984, but there are bigger villains in the world at that time (South Africa, for one).

Uh, try the USSR which was still being run by the Brezhnev era hacks and had four years earlier cracked down brutally in Poland.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What's up with all the 80's love in TV, and cinema nowdays. Did "Stranger Things" start a trend of the 80's being hot again?
It's long enough ago now for the nostalgia factor to kick in. Sort of like how Back to the Future in the eighties played on nostalgia of the fifties. The eighties are as far in the past now as the fifties were then.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For all of my complaints about Snyder -- and I have many -- one thing he definitely got right was Michael Wilkinson's costume for Woman Woman. It passes the same test that the Christopher Reeve costume passed back in 1978: You take one look at it and instantly know what character it is. The design, halfway between the character's look and a Roman legionnaire or gladiator, felt organic to the mythology that Jenkins and company would flesh out in Wonder Woman.

And the later movies, which allowed the color back in and made some minor tweaks here and there, have only improved it.

I think the design of the costume is pretty cool. The Snyder version appears to be a little shorter/tighter, (but maybe that’s just the photography) and Synder frequently shoots her in a more leering manner including unnecessary upskirt shots. Watch how Synder shoots her in BvS and JL vs how Jenkins shoots her in WW. I greatly prefer the approach by Jenkins. She allows Gadot’s natural beauty to be a background part of the character rather than a key attribute, while Snyder seems to be almost sexualizing ever shot of her.

It’s amazing how the same basic design can seem so different just from how it’s being photographed.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Really looking forward to this. The first was definitely the best DCU film and even among the better super hero films overall IMO. It's a shame how the DCU is turning out otherwise. I can see a lot of good in Snyder's MoS and BvS, but both were just way too long for how little story there was and a bit eccentric with Snyder's visuals. I really wanted to give Justice League a chance but still just haven't gotten around to it, though it sounds like I'm not missing much. I started watching Suicide Squad a while back and got through perhaps half of it before turning it off; it was just that atrocious of a movie and I VERY rarely just stop mid-film on purpose. Oh well.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I took a minute to watch one of the scenes from Justice League last night. The bank scene from the films opening where Diana 'gets involved'.

One particular shot of Diana roping one of the baddies made me cringe, just like it did the first time. You couldn't get more 'upskirt' than that - it was gratuitous and ridiculous.

Aside from that, I do like the scene. It's short and gives Diana a great into in the movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I took a minute to watch one of the scenes from Justice League last night. The bank scene from the films opening where Diana 'gets involved'.

One particular shot of Diana roping one of the baddies made me cringe, just like it did the first time. You couldn't get more 'upskirt' than that - it was gratuitous and ridiculous.

Aside from that, I do like the scene. It's short and gives Diana a great into in the movie.

That shot was in the trailers and I remember several versions.
The regular gratuitous shot and one that was blacked out.
There may even have been one that had her shorts cover more then the first trailer.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

For what it's worth, Snyder didn't shoot the roping scene or the version of the scene where she meets Cyborg under the streetlight and the camera lingers behind her. Those are Whedon scenes. Whedon also shot the gag of Flash landing on her, something Gadot was pissed about since they used her double to shoot it. IIRC, she didn't shoot most scenes with the other JL co-stars on the same set in the Whedon reshoots because of scheduling conflicts. This also includes the argument with Bruce about Steve Trevor, the argument against resurrecting Superman in the hangar, and variations on her role in the final battle. The shot of her capturing the thief at the end is also a pickup one.

There's actually very little of Snyder's JL in the theatrical version. Either he didn't shoot it, or what he shot was altered visually from what was planned (which didn't help the visual effects moments at all since they weren't meant to be lit so brightly).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks