What's new

Wonder Showzen Season 1-Edit? (1 Viewer)

BrianJau

Agent
I was watching the Wonder Showzen DVD today, and I noticed that one of the episodes appears to be edited. In the "Ocean" episode (#3 on the disc), there is a cartoon called "HOBO OPS" that is about a squadron of Vietnam veterans who are now homeless. The end of the episode features a little boy with his mother walking by the "leader" of the squadron, who is revealed to be standing by a trash can talking to himself. He asks his mom "Mommy, who is that man talking to?" She replies "Just ignore him, son"- at which point the DVD cuts crudely to the next segment.
In the original airing, there was a closeup of the mother, as a tear rolls down her cheek. Inside the tear is the image of the American flag on fire. I can imagine why this was probably censored (although I'm sure anyone who may have complained about it missed the satirical point of the cartoon)- but given the general offensive nature of much of the show, it seems strange to single this one instance out for censorship.
Is this edit on everyone's DVD? I hope it's not just a bad disc.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator
I can confirm it's not in there. And I remember the shot itself.

Was that definitely the cartoon that ended with that? I haven't had a chance to watch through the rest of the disc, so I'm still holding out hope that maybe it was in a different cartoon and is still there?

Oh well ... it's not a big cut, or a particularly funny shot, but it is annoying.

I've just noticed this today and have posted my findings elsewhere, but here's the breakdown:

The end of "H.O.B.O-OPs" as broadcast(per DVR recording of original and recent marathon broadcast)-
Mother and son walk by deranged homeless vet.
Son: "Mommy, who is that man talking to?
Mother: "Just ignore him, honey. Just ignore him...(looks to "camera") And watch all of these wonderful commercials."
"The Star-Spangled Banner" played by a lone twangy guitar is heard as we zoom in on the boy shedding a single tear - in which the image of the American flag can be seen. The flag catches fire, and is shown burning. Fade to black.
(commercials)
Usual Wonder Showzen disclaimer, followed by a three-eyed version of the little girl logo, and back to the show.

The end of "H.O.B.O-OPs" on the DVD -
Mother and son walk by deranged homeless vet.
Son: "Mommy, who is that man talking to?
Mother: "Just ignore him, honey. Just ignore hi-"
Cuts abruptly to black.
Then three-eyed version of the little girl logo, and back to the show.

If it's an edit for content, it's one of the sloppiest ones I've ever seen. Since it comes right before a commercial break, could it just be some sort of mistake? If the aim was to remove the image of the burning flag, why not let the dialog play out? It should be noted that the burning American flag held by the letter N in the episode "Birth" made it to DVD intact.
At the same time, that same episode, "Ocean," as presented on DVD doesn't have the "CENSORED" boxes that were on the broadcast version during the scenes where the gang are imagining giving their money to Charity(who is apparently some sort of a velveteen rabbit prostitute). Him's line "Charity, you have mouth like velvet" is on the DVD but was heard on the broadcast as "Charity, (dead silence)."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks