Wonder if my front 3 would benifit from 8ga speaker wire?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Adam_Reiter, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

oops... spelled "benefit" wrong.

I am wondering. I remember a guy that reviewed a set of $5000 pair of speakers (starts with V ends with 40) used like a 6 or 8 guage power wire for the speaker wire.

Has anyone tried banana plugs that accept 8ga and tried some 8ga wire with their Rockets? Or any quality brand for that matter. That might be a potentially cheap but good upgrade? No?

I myself am still on the fence about the whole PowerCord, Interconnects, Speakerwire voodoo. I really dont know yet if I can hear the difference between my THX certified Monter Speaker wire (1000ft spool) or a $500 pair of speaker cables.

Or if stepping up to a $400 power cord plugged directly into the wall with deepen my soundstage. Frankly I need to get more time on my system how it is now with stock power cords and whatnot, to be able to hear a difference with different power cables or speaker wire. A few months down the road I want to buy a really nice power cord, like one that is supposed to be the end-all, and use it on my amp and see if I can tell a difference. Then I can send it back when I probably wont! But, its always in the back of my mind (do it need to upgrade all my power cords and speaker wires?) I use all Canare cables for IC's, I am sure they are PLENTY good enough. It just cracks me up, you could easily blow a couple grand on cables! Hell, that is a projector to someone! OR new speakers! Or a new SACD player. I am sure buying one of those would bring 1000 times more joy to your HT experience than blowing it on cables.

Another thing, can anyone give me some links to either some good (vicious?) debates on the voodoo or expensive power cords and speaker cables?

2. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

8ga is overkill for even professional concert speakers. Max gauge I would use would be 12ga.

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Adam go over to audiogon.com and do a search in the discussion forums you'll get more conflicting info then most would ever want to read.

How is your music collection growing? Anything from all the recommendations that you really love?

4. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Adam

Find a dealer that will let you audition cables and then let your ears judge.

5. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit