What's new

Pre-Order Wonder Boys (2000) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Paramount will lose sales . I for one will not purchase one of my favorite films if it is not a pressed disc.
I'm not familiar with this particular film [yet] but, honestly, I'm an enthusiast and wouldn't have even been aware of pressed vs burned discs had I not run across this thread. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt the average consumer would know or care either.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I'm not familiar with this particular film [yet] but, honestly, I'm an enthusiast and wouldn't have even been aware of pressed vs burned discs had I not run across this thread. I could be wrong but I seriously doubt the average consumer would know or care either.

You would care if you spent $20 and the disc didn’t play... There is a reason why Sony replaced it’s burned disc of Little Women( 1996 or so ) with a pressed disc.

Maybe if enough folks purchase the burned disc Paramount will give it an upgrade. Some believe there is a chance that only Amazon will have the burned disc while other retailers may get a pressed disc. We’ll see.

Mark VH

Second Unit
I love this damn movie. The cast is fabulous and the story is wonderful. I’ve waited a long time for its appearance in BD. Already pre-ordered, because even if a marginal transfer, it will surely trounce my very old DVD.

It’s a tremendous movie, one I’ll stop and watch to the end any time I come across it on cable. A rare comedy made by adults for adults featuring adult characters you want to spend time with talking like adults and messing up their lives in truly adult ways. Incredibly funny, wise, sexy. Endlessly quotable. Just a great hang.

If I’m not mistaken, it’s also one of Michael Douglas’s favorite of his own films and performances. Easy to see why.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This along with 'The Game' are my two favorite Michael Douglas roles.

Two very different films that are both outstanding and both came along at key moments in my life. My first ever job was at a crappy movie theater that had a roughly 2:1 screen in the auditorium and everything for cropped. 1.85 films lost a bit on the top and bottom, 2.40 lost a bit on the sides. The Game was the first thing playing there when I got the job. I took that first paycheck and spent it on seeing the movie in a theater that actually showed movies properly :D

I really enjoy the show The Kaminsky Method and I suspect part of that has to do with Douglas playing a similar character, only if his Wonder Boys character decided not to grow up and instead sink deeper into his own ego at the end. It’s not quite an uplifting show but it’s frequently hilarious and Douglas is note perfect in it.

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
I love this movie. For some reason whenever i took a nap, i always put this in the background.. works great, lol.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Damn, I thought Ghost and the Darkness was already on blu.... . Another film that did indifferent box office, and had only a so-so DVD release.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I don't know whether this has been mentioned, but the novel is excellent; dare I say better than...and I like this movie very much!

24fpsNinja

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Buyer Beware! This may not be a pressed blu ray. Look at the cover. The Blu Ray label is nowhere to be found. Film deserves much better treatment.
It’s an Amazon link and they are selling burned discs. I have purchased 9 Paramount MODs so far from Bullmoose and all have been pressed.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Okay just received my copy of Wonder Boys from Amazon. It is a burned disc. Popped it in my iMac LG Blu-ray external drive to give it a quick look. Using the Blu-ray Player Pro app, it looks very good. Only just sampled it. Should look even better on my OLED. Took a look on the Best Buy site and the disc box they show for Wonder Boys has the Blu-ray logo at the top. So I would assume that it's a pressed disc from them. Noted that the price, $17.99, was the same as the Amazon price that I paid for the disc. However the site shows that it is currently sold out. I'm a bit pissed because Amazon does not tell you that the disc is a burned copy and charges the same as others. No clue as to the quality of the media they use. Do love the film so I guess will just have to see how this goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks