Pre-Order Wonder Boys (2000) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Another Paramount catalog title comes to light on Blu-ray!

Many thanks and a lot of appreciation to the studio's home video dept. for finally opening these cob-webbed vaults. Sure would like it if all the Australian exclusives could also be released under the "Paramount Presents" moniker. Those titles right now are way expensive for those of us in the U.S. with (very) limited expendable income.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Buyer Beware! This may not be a pressed blu ray. Look at the cover. The Blu Ray label is nowhere to be found. Film deserves much better treatment.

• Sad
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t see it as deserves or not deserves but simply what Paramount believes this market will bear. The data being presented on the disc will be identical regardless of pressed or burned.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Buyer Beware! This may not be a pressed blu ray. Look at the cover. The Blu Ray label is nowhere to be found. Film deserves much better treatment.
It must be endlessly frustrating for distributors. They release something digitally and it's "No sale. I want it on disc" They release it on DVD and it's "No sale. I want it on blu-ray." The release it on burned blu-ray and it's "No sale. I want it on a pressed disc." They release it on a pressed disc and it's "No sale. This transfer sucks. This title deserves a 4K restoration."

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Will probably still wait for a review even though I most likely will get it during release week, which isn't common for me. Seems to have become a fave of my firstborn as well.

I also very much prefer a pressed disc instead of burnt disc, especially if it's gonna cost more than say $10.

I might even get it both on digital and BD assuming the BD doesn't come w/ DC -- am just waiting for a $5 sale on ITunes.

_Man_

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
Add to that, as good as the movie was, it made only 33 million on a 55 million dollar budget. So interest in general will be quite low from the start.

Reactions: David Wilkins

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I don’t see it as deserves or not deserves but simply what Paramount believes this market will bear. The data being presented on the disc will be identical regardless of pressed or burned.
Paramount will lose sales . I for one will not purchase one of my favorite films if it is not a pressed disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We all must make the purchasing decisions that are right for us and our own circumstances and it’s not my intention to try to persuade anyone to buy a product that’s not of interest to them.

I do just want to throw it out there that if this doesn’t sell many copies, Paramount will not say to themselves, “That must be because it’s burned. Let’s immediately reissue it on pressed disc.” Rather, they will conclude, “This is a title that lost money theatrically, didn’t sell particularly well on DVD and never had the numbers to justify a BD release at the height of the format’s popularity, so perhaps even the MOD route wasn’t worth it.”

I suspect as we head further into a future where the general audience isn’t subsidizing disc purchases for enthusiasts, that choices will first dwindle to MOD disc or streaming, and eventually they’ll just stop bothering with the disc.

As this is my second favorite movie of all time, I am glad that it is being released on a high definition physical media format at all. It’s a huge surprise considering Paramount loses money with it every time and didn’t even think a disc was viable when catalog Blu-ray still sold a little and when Robert Downey was setting box office records as Iron Man.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Add to that, as good as the movie was, it made only 33 million on a 55 million dollar budget. So interest in general will be quite low from the start.
Makes you wonder what will be the longterm future for a vast number of perfectly good, but in the scheme of things, lower echelon work. Will they disappear forever, whether figuratively or literally? What about the rich trove of work over the years, for which great effort and assets were initially invested? Streaming isn't necessarily the answer, either. Which streaming source? Those who don't hold the rights aren't going to pay endless dollars for the rights to stream titles of limited interest. Even those who DO own the rights, aren't going to make a mind-numbing list of titles available. There will always be a strict limit, compared to absolute availability, just like air-play from radio stations. Even a major studio with a vast catalogue will be heavily concerned with viewing data, and they're ALWAYS going to push the titles with a larger built-in audience. They have no real incentive to make thousands of titles available on their service if very few people are aware of them, and will watch them.

Then there's the cost factor of prepping the vast number of titles to make them appealing to watch. Even among the mass of John Q-public, who never frequent such sites as this, there's a growing sophistication of expectation, with their large and extraordinary hi-def screens. The whole range of the situation is frustrating and perplexing. With the natural shrinking of physical media and growth of streaming, I do see some correlation with radio station air-play, but with a very large difference in the nature of the material.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Makes you wonder what will be the longterm future for a vast number of perfectly good, but in the scheme of things, lower echelon work. Will they disappear forever, whether figuratively or literally?
No more so than they do already. While they may not show up on subscription streaming frequently I believe that they will remain available for rental and purchase on digital storefronts. It’ll just be up to the consumer to seek them out and make an a la carte purchase.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
All I can saythank goodness for Warner’s, Sony and Universal. With Paramount I just shake my head and wonder what’s with this Co. Disney, I understand as they have been planning on killing physical media for many years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
All I can saythank goodness for Warner’s, Sony and Universal. With Paramount I just shake my head and wonder what’s with this Co. Disney, I understand as they have been planning on killing physical media for many years.
Paramount is doing fine for me.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Paramount is doing fine for me.
For so many years Paramount forgot all about their heritage. They finally woke up and realized that folks wanted some of their titles. With that said some of their release decisions make me scratch my head. Many fans have made long lists of films they would purchase if on blu ray. I’ll mention just 3 of my wants. The Ghost and the Darkness. Nobody’s Fool and HUD.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco