What's new

Won a TV!! Help me choose which one!!! (1 Viewer)

Brian Papo

Auditioning
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, now I have a reason to post! My wife won a prize through work and we have decided to get one of the TVs they are offering. Now the hard part, the choices are:

Panasonic TH-42PX20U/P 42" plasma
Sony KE-42XS910 wega 42" plasma
Zenith D60WLCD 60" LCD

We are leaning towards one of the plasma screens partially because they are so slim and neat looking. We are building a new house and the TV would go in our living room which is bright with many windows and about a 10' seating distance from the screen. I currently have a 55" Mits HDTV, so the extra screen size of the Zenith doesn't really matter. Are there any distinct advantages to Plasma vs. LCD? If price were no object (which it isn't because it's a prize!) What would your choice be and why?
Thank you so much for your opinions!
Brian

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Personally I would go with the Panasonic. I am personally partial to Panasonic. No real reason, I just think they make great tv's. Also, the Panny has HDMI, the Sony does not. This is not the end of the world, but "future-proofing" is always nice.

As far as plasma vs. lcd . . . I may be mistaken, but I believe plasma will perform far better than lcd in a room where light is an issue.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
My perference would be for the Panasonic as well. It's a great machine. Class leading contrast, 1024x768 progressive resolution, HDMI, 2048 shades of gray via digital, 1536 via analog, 10 bit processing, 60000 hour lifespan.

I personally do not like interlaced monitors like the Sony. Personal preference, I guess. The Sony will be marginally brighter, and the chassis does look nicer.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am with the other suggestions made here. I have seen both the Panasonic and Sony plasma and I would go with the Panasonic no question.

Congrats to your wife for winning such a nice price. The next time they feel the need to give a plasma TV away you know where you can reach me. :)

Parker

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Go with the Panasonic & even though the Sony isn't as good you can have them send me the Sony & I'll learn to live with it :D Again, Great Prize & Congrats.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
The Panasonics are very nice but i've seen that Sony recently in stores and it was equally impressive. Tough call on that one.

Brian Papo

Auditioning
Thanks everyone,
after your replies, and some research on other av forums, My wife and I headed over to Circuit City, and although the Sony unit physically looks nicer, we both agreed that the picture was better on the Panny. Although with the in-store "calibration" it was a tough call. Im sure it will look hundreds of times better in our house once i run a calibration disk on it.
Can't wait to get it now!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like the Pana is the best monitor for you.

I'm sitting here wondering who else would just choose the most expensive one and sell it to buy a kickass projector if they were in your position. :D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic has one of the best plasmas in the business, with much much better quality black levels than most plasmas, and all LCDs. I'd be jumping up and down in joy (I wanted the ED version for about 2 years before going front projection).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks