Women's World Cup 2003

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris_Morris, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Tomorrow's the day. USA's first match is on ABC at 12:30pm. SI has a great article up on their website, covering the WUSA downfall, as well as an in-depth primer for the Cup:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?CNN=yes

This ought to be a good tournament. The US is the odds on favorite, but it won't be an easy road as there are alot of teams that are much better than they were 4 years ago.

Chris
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

[​IMG] USA USA USA [​IMG]

3. Chris_Morris

US 2 SWE 0 at half-time. The US team is playing a pretty solid match so far, they need to focus on defending the lead rather than ramping up the score.

Chris

4. Lew Crippen

And it’s all over. [​IMG]

5. Chris_Morris

Well, the much anticipated match with Norway is over. Once again the match is decided by 1 point. Norway is right up there with the US in women's soccer. Either Norway or the US has won every major women's event:

World Cup 91: USA
    World Cup 95: Norway
    Olympics 96: USA
    World Cup 99: USA
    Olympics 00: Norway

If they stay at the top of thier game, it should be a fairly easy road to the Cup.

Chris

6. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Its pretty odd that a Sport that the US does so well at in the world can't hold together a national league.

Hopefully Germany will win their game and we'll have a US v. Germany game.

7. Chris_Morris

The main reason the MLS can't take off is the media. Kind of hard to gain fans when the "mainstream" media would rather print an article degrading the sport rather than trying to explain it or push it.

As for the Germany match, I was hoping for that to be the final, but the way both teams dominated their groups....Germany v US games have always been my favorite, since my mother is German.

Chris

8. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

media would rather print an article degrading the sport rather than trying to explain it or push it

I have to ask, what incentive do they have to promote the sport? They aren't obligated to do so. If World Cup '94 wasn't enough to generate sustained interest in professional soccer in the US then nothing ever will. Appreciate the MLS for what it is and appreciate the fact that both the US men and womens teams are both in the world top 15.

9. Bill Griffith

Its the WUSA that I was referring to not the MLS, which last I heard was actually holding its own. Granted not as popular most other sports but there not folding, yet.

I do find it odd though that the US womens team seems to have dominated a sport pretty much the instant they had a team where as other countries womens teams don't seem to be that good.

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well, they did not dominate at first, and the U19 national team has had hit/miss success.

The reports on the WUSA closure has cited corporate sponsorship as the problem. The attendance has been near to prediction (and over for games with Mia Hamm), but they budgeted assuming more corporate dollars.

Football/baseball/basketball all have large $$$ sponsership contracts with companies like "Bud Light" and Chevy. WUSA has not been able to tap into these companies. Likely because they cannot honestly go to them and say the audience (soccer families) drink lots of beer and drive trucks.

The BIG corporate sponser for WUSA - Hyundai of all things.

Back to the game:

It's been a very exciting series so far. Germany has come out as a suprise champion team. Fans of the WUSA know Prinz and Minnert. The big question was how well they would gel into team play with the rest of the German team. It looks like they have merged very well.

People have been saying that Canada has been improving over the years so this is no suprise. (Tony remarked that their national league quadrupled the budget for the womens team over the last 2 years which has had an effect). The suprise was that Hooper was put into a defensive position. But if you watched the Canada vs China game - it does not stop her from scoring winning goals.

The semi-final games on Sunday afternoon are going to be very, very good.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Well Canada came close last night ... good try!!

See you in the gold medal game!! just not this year[​IMG]

Brent

12. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    As much as I wanted Canada to win last night, Sweden deserved the win. They wanted it more than Canada did. Svensen was all over the field giving the Canadian "defenders" some serious problems. Then that super quick whistle on the Swedish free kick(you sure that ref was Finnish? [​IMG] ) caught the entire Canadian squad off guard and the ensuing goal totally took the wind out of their sails.
    Anyway, it was an exciting game to watch. I really hope that we can can get it back together and be completely rested and injury free for next Saturday's game against the US for the bronze.

Go Canada Go!!!

13. Chris_Morris

It was really sad to see the US team meltdown in the final 1:30 of stoppage time. I feared that Germany would be their downfall, but in all fairness, it should have been 1:1 at the end of regulation. Why the official didn't call a penalty shot is beyond me.

Chris

14. Bill Griffith

You did it, you got me started on that misseed penalty call.

How did the ref not call that. She got the ball then a second later wham she gets flatenned by the keeper. Al she had to do was take 2 steps to where she moved the ball and BAM wide open goal. The keeper did the only thing she could after commiting herself so much and that was to take her out and make an attempt at stopping the PK. Damn bad call.

On the whole as a game it was very fast pased with an extreme amount of long (low percentage) passes on both sides. When the team would control the ball and move it up the field under control Germany seemed to mesh alittle better together.

They seem to pretty equal teams and the US got some unlucky breaks. IMO this could have gone either way.

Bob - What do you mean they didn't dominate at first. I thought FIFA started the Womens World Cup back in 1991, and the US won that one and the Match in 1999, as well as the Olympics in 96. I think the team was formed in 85' and in 6 years are beating the worlds best. Thats pretty good.

I guess I'll be going for German in the Final though. To bad though, Wambach is Hot! She was wicked fun to watch play. I am surprised she didn't get a yellow jumping into the Goalie, glad she didn't but surprised non the less.

15. Lew Crippen

Unless Chris is female, so far we have had only male posters. Do the women only play and not follow the sport?

16. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

I have to admit that after watching several games in this tournement it was thoroughly entertaining. A Canada-USA final would have been an amazing game with astonishing ratings, but we'll just have to wait for World Cup 2007 for that. [​IMG]

17. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I went to the games on Thursday and Sunday. The atmosphere was great and there were some intense matches.

The U.S. had the same problem that China did... lots of scoring opportunities but no one stepping up to finish them off (was anyone ever in front of the goal?). Sweden was having the same problem until they caught the Canadians napping.

A few comments about the women streakers during the U.S. game:
    - They were protesting Adidas but were running around in sneakers.
    - Their protest sign had Adidas in huge letters with the protest message in (much) smaller print.
    - We thought it was another Nike ad [​IMG]
    - I'm glad my friend had the binoculars and not me

18. Bill Griffith

That was funny, on TV they started off saying that they were Marathon runners finnishing the race alittle late. But then one of the commentators said something about marathon runners wearing more clothing.

One of the announcers said "there not showing them on the TV", and one of the other announcers said that, that was a good thing. LOL

Go Germany!!!

19. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

20. Chris_Morris

It's a catch-22. They will not get the sponsors unless they are at least on a "sports" network, but it seems the networks are reluctant to jump unless the WUSA has sponsors.

But you also have to remember that alot of the blame for the WUSA fall is not the viewership (as they exceeded their goals), but very sloppy management (they ran through a 5-year budget in one year), and bad choices (the biggest of which was to flat out refuse to work with MLS, and rather work against them in a way).

Chris