Women's Olympic Hockey Final - Canada VS USA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray Gutnick, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Ray Gutnick

Ray Gutnick Stunt Coordinator

Ray
    Was this game broadcast in the US? If so, I was wondering what was said (if anything) about the officiating? I'm not happy to hear that the US team had our flag on the floor of their locker room![​IMG]

2. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

I can only answer one of your questions. Yes the game was broadcast in the US. I just watched it this afternoon on NBC's HD feed. I have no idea what the rules of hockey are and I try with all my might to keep the voices of the commentators out of my head, so I can't give you much perspective on that. And there was no locker room footage during the HD feed.

Pieter

3. Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza Stunt Coordinator

It was broadcast in the US; even the US commentators were making comments about how uneven the officiating was, like "Canada isn't even being given a chance to win this game, with all these penalties." Not only have I heard clips from their broadcast, I have relatives in the US who I've been talking with regarding this.

And before any Canadian hotheads go to far, I'd like to clear something else up (I'm not labeling you, I just don't want any bandwagoners to get all huffy in the wake of your post):

The flag was on the floor, mostly as a focal point for the US' teams energy. They took great care to respect it as a symbol, and not be stepping on it or defiling it in any way. This was stated by the team and the CBC commentary. This was hardly an issue for me, and I think it was a typical of sports rallying gestures, and acceptable.

4. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

5. Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza Stunt Coordinator

Well, I do think some Canadians are overreacting.

Like I said, it was pretty typical of sports-mentality rallying, and I didn't take offense. If they really wanted to make it a negative-energy issue, they would have just trampled it or something.

Hang it on the wall? To me that's splitting hairs, and it also doesn't seem too intuitive in that kind of a situation. The whole idea is to try and derive a sense of superiority out of it. Which is something I think is perfectly acceptable.

They didn't defile it, I don't see the problem. When I watch my fellow Canadians go off half-cocked or full-cocked about stuff like this, I become deeply embarrassed. Especially when the teams and networks wanted to make it clear that this was not something meant personally.

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

FYI,

It has been confirmed by both US and Canadian officials that the "incident" involving the Canadian flag on the floor of Team USA's locker room, never happened.