What's new

Women in the HTF (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This was in the back of my mind for some time.
I was wondering what the owners/moderator's thoughts were on having more (or being able to have more) women participate in the HTF. I know there are some already. I also know that home theatre in general is more a hobby of the guys than the women. What I am trying to say is do you think it would be desireable to have an atmosphere where more women would participate, or do you prefer us (the guys) to be able to express ourselves openly (but not totally unprofessional). The problem is that sometimes as guys we say a lot of things in our posts that may be.... non-agreeable, abbraisive, maybe even slighly sexist at times to women wihtout even realizing it, and maybe this sort of thing would scare women away from the HTF.
I had read the rules of swearing on the forum for instance. It was mentioned that it is not encouraged but as long as it was within reason, it would be allowed as a form of expression. Does this take a higher priority than what I mentioned above.
Sorry for the long winded post. I am in favour of a forum that is open to all as long as it is professional, but sometimes even I may post something that is non-agreeable and I don't even realize it.
(slightly confused HTF member)
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Neil,
The moderators on this forum have already been accused by some members as being heavy-handed as far as restricting certain discussion on this forum. To go any further than that will certainly be a nightmare for both the moderators and the membership.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on November 09, 2001 at 03:34 PM]

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Neil,
The only problem is no one can force women to participate in something that they do not want to. The women that are members are very articulate. I wish they would participate in discussions more often but they may have time constraints or may not find most topics interesting.
Women are just as welcome as men, but as you stated, home theater enthusiasts are mainly male.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The problem is that sometimes as guys we say a lot of things in our posts that may be.... non-agreeable, abbraisive, maybe even slighly sexist at times to women wihtout even realizing it, and maybe this sort of thing would scare women away from the HTF.
I think you are underestimating women and, at the same time, giving them to much credit.
Allow me to explain.
Most of the girls I know and hang around with are no more offended by "bawdy talk," (for want of a better expression) than the guys. They have a sense of humour too, you know, and are probably quite able to take things that are not meant very seriously with a grain of salt.
On the flipside, if you think that women don't say things that are sexist (against men), then perhaps you are a bit naive. I'm not saying it's bad, but men tease women and women tease men. It's a two way street. I've never seen a case here where things like that have ever been meant to be taken seriously. For the most part, it's all in fun.
I don't think tightening the rules is going to attract more women.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks