Woman gains TWO pounds, files lawsuit!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Todd K, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Ok, it's been a while since we had a nice ridiculous lawsuit thread. I guess I'm just doing this to stir the pot, but I've been thinking about this for a few days now. (I'll elaborate below.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062800834.html

It all started a few days ago when I was riding on the bus to work. There was an ad seeking lactose intolerant people for a lawsuit against the dairy industry:
    http://www.milkmakesmesick.org/

At the time I thought it was a little over the top, but that's nothing compared to a woman gaining two pounds and seeking damages. So basically if something doesn't work for you as advertised you're entitled to money?

edited link corrected. Also, I meant it's been a while since we had a non-finger related lawsuit!

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

bah then every damn food company should be sued for false claims.

We would ALL have a case.

3. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

Obviously the 2 extra pounds weren't made up of brain cells [​IMG] The b**ch'll probably win, and people wonder why prices are so high.[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Damn, I've never been so insulted by stupidity in my life. There is absolutely no evidence in this case- what was this woman's diet like while she was drinking milk? What was her diet like before she was drinking milk? What did she eat on the days she was drinking milk? I could be on the witness stand and blow holes through every single one of the allegations brought forth in this frivolous suit. If I were the judge, I'd make her pay $1 million over 30 years with a $1 million penalty if it was paid off early for wasting the courts' time.

And, the woman should have been intelligent enough to realize that she can't eat four fast food meals a day AND three glasses of milk a day and lose weight.

5. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I'm just not reading it thorougly enough, but where does it say how much weight the lady gained in that article?

Regardless, it's a pretty stupid lawsuit.

6. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Well thats its. The people who wrote it lied when they changed it. I'm suing since i was misinformed.

8. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Give me a break. Milk is not water, it has calories.

Why can't they just explain to these idiots that while yes, milk (and more specifically the calcium) helps you lose weight, you have to cut calories in other foods to compensate for the milk calories.

9. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I see both sides of this, really.

I think it's pretty irresponsible for the National Dairy Council to boast that drinking more milk will help people lose weight. It might make some people lose weight, it might make some people gain weight, and on others it may have no effect at all. It's been shown that calorie restriction helps a lot of people lose weight so I'm not entirely convinced that isn't the sole reason for the weightloss claims.

I also have a problem with any organization claiming that there's a magic bullet that will help 100% of the population lose weight. Every company and organization promoting weight loss feels that they have the answer, yet nothing works on everyone all the time. For the dairy companies to give the wrong impression is definitely misleading, especially when their goal is not weightloss but sales of their product. In other words, these companies are not even in the weight loss industry and that's what makes it even more misleading.

That being said, I find it both amusing and irritating that this woman suing is seemingly only doing so to make a quick buck. To believe every claim ever made is undeniably naive. I'd really question the judgement of a person who thought that simply drinking dairy would cause weightloss in everyone. Of course, this woman's case will be quickly dismissed. Who's to say the woman didn't begin her menstrual cycle and those 2 pounds are simply "bloat"? There are any number of plausible explanations that have nothing to do with dairy. Still, the fact that it has to be brought before a judge makes the whole fiasco unbelievable.

So, I think it's good that the National Dairy Council pulled the ads. There clearly isn't enough evidence to support their claim. But now that the ads are pulled, people need to get on with their lives. Of course they'll just latch on to the next fad diet. But suing over it is simply ridiculous.

10. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

The Washington Post is giving this person primetime ? Guess she fits their not-so-hidden viewpoints...

11. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Most peoples weight fluctuates more than 2 pounds a day every day.

12. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Yes... but why does mine keep fluctuating "up" 2 pounds a day ????

[​IMG]

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Note: You won't lose any weight by drinking milk if you're also dunking oreos in. [​IMG]

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The Post has an anti-milk bias? Or an anti-stupid dieter bias?

As usual, I will point that most stupid lawsuits are actually thrown out or lost. Anybody is allowed to claim anything they want, it doesn't mean jack. Just that the pernicious anti-dairy media like to jump on anything silly or sensational.

Anyway, anyone who buy now doesn't understand that caloric intake vs caloric expenditure is responsible for weight change is living under a rock. Milk containers list the number of calories. Case closed.

15. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

You know that 'Water, the more you drink, the better you feel' ad campaign? Well they don't tell you that you also have to urinate far more often while drinking lots of water. Nobody told I was supposed to pee far more often, and my left kidney exploded. [​IMG]

I'm going to sue for eleventymillion dollars [​IMG]

16. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

That is correct, although I have a legitimate case. I am going after General Mills. Although I find Lucky Charms to be delicious, I find nothing magical about that deliciousness.

jeremy

17. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

What next, those with nut allergies take on the peanut farmers? Allergic to seafood, sue fishermen? [​IMG]

I wonder why these folks at the PCRM have it in for the dairy industry? Maybe its leader as a kid hated milk and was forced by parents/school to quaff large quantities, and now it's payback time?

18. MarkHastings

LOL - Use Lionel Hutz...he can add it to his "All you can eat" and "Never Ending Story" suits. [​IMG]

19. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Although I find Lucky Charms to be delicious, I find nothing magical about that deliciousness."

I actually laughed out loud at this, it was great[​IMG]

Brent

20. MarkHastings

Why do I keep picturing Family Guy doing a spoof where the Gorton's Fisherman is in court, wearing a suit with his big yellow hood and going through his paperwork. [​IMG]