What's new

Woman drinks so much water she dies (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You have to think EVERY lawyer in the world has to be SALIVATING at the thought of playing that audio tape in court... "So, just to be sure, when someone called in and warned you, you told them to get lost, basically, yes? Would you like to hear it again while I show a picture of the dead woman to the jury again?"

Brian D H

Second Unit

Rarely have I heard a more blatant example of complete disregard for another human being's welfare. This is a total tragedy and a complete slam-dunk of a case. Some lawyer is going to make enough money to retire on this one.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the Wii is still available, or will that have to be held for evidence now? Shame, seeing how they are hard enough to find as it is.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I'm sure this information has some gears turning in the local prosecutor's head.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Release forms are probably standard for such contests. I doubt anyone involved, including the DJs, knew about Water Intoxication, this contest would have never taken place otherwise, release form or not. That would explain their offhand dismissal of the nurse, they probably thought (like most people would) that the risks incurred by the contestant would be no worse than in similar contests: some type of temporary digestive discomfort - see hotdog eating contests.

I only learnt about water intoxication (sounds like an oxymoron, no?) a couple of months ago while researching the dangers of E. I was surprised to say the least. I remember similar contests among friends growing up. We never had a clue, Most people don't.

--
H

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

This quote suggests otherwise. If it's on tape, it will certainly look really bad, even if they were only being flip.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a lawyer, but don't most liability releases discuss potential risks? Perhaps the plaintiffs would have to prove gross negligence, but this might well be provable.

PhillJones

Second Unit

It can, indirectly. Swimmers who deliberately hyperventilate before trying to swim long distances underwater can pass out and drown. It's to do with the fact that the build up of CO2 in the blood is what causes the urge to breathe when you hold your breath. Hyperventilating drives it down and reduces the urge to breathe when you hold your breath. You can not realize that you've run out of oxygen in your bloodstream and...zonk you're out. That's why you should never take a bunch of deep breaths before swimming a long distance. You can't hyper oxygenate your blood by doing this, normal S02 is above 95% anyway, you just reduce the urge to breathe.

A friend of mine who shall remain nameless did some after hours experiments with a pulse oximeter and proved this.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh my GOD! I know it's easy to judge after the fact, but that was CREEPY!

EDIT: DUDE! They said she drank nearly 2 gallons of water??? I mean, not knowing about water intoxication aisde, who has to think that it's ok to drink that much? I had to drink 2 liters of water for a medical procedure and I thought something bad was going to happen to me with just that!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The audio is TERRIBLE "maybe we should have researched this" "can't you die of water" "Oh, well, if it's dangerous you'll throw up, it's all good.." And then they totally dismiss the people who call in.

This tells me there is something VERY wrong. They go the extra mile and give false medical advice. They say 'oh, it's OK, you'd barf.. so no problem.." Which is a false safety blanket for those in the contest.

The whole "oh my stomach hurts.." Jeez ;(

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
After listening to that audio from before the contest, those DJs and that radio station are going to get SO SUED.

That IS creepy. They are joking about the contestants dying during the contest. Really sad listening to the contestant talking knowing not long after she'll be dead. It's awful hard listening to her talk about how her head is starting to hurt.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

There was another story (or part of the same story?) that said that one DJ (allegedly) asked if excess water consumption could kill a person, and another DJ (allegedly) replied that this would have been a good thing for them to have researched before beginning the contest (or words to that effect) !!!!

Unbelievable.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

After hearing the rest of it, a court may well decide otherwise.

The radio station is probably hoping that its firings of the DJs will put some legal distance between it and them, so that the kids don't end up (as some wag on Slashdot put it) getting the radio station as the prize ...

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I'm really trying not to defend the morons who held this contest, but it seems most people woudn't have any idea that too much water is potentially fatal. One of the reasons is the recent fascination with eating contests, which are shown frequently on ESPN and elsewhere. Everyone knows of the skinny Japanese guy who can eat 100 hot dogs in 30 minutes, or something like that. The thinking must have been that if consuming much food doesn't pose a threat, water should be safe. Or perhaps the eating contests are supervised by medical personnel?

And for the record, I think eating contests are moronic. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but I read (or heard) that professional eating contests are the fastest growing sport in America. If that is true then maybe the guy who made IDIOCRACY isn't that far off the mark. :)

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
The real tragedy here is the Darwin awards. It's only January and what should be the first contender isn't even eligible because she already had kids. Maybe the radio station can at least get an assist for the '07 awards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks