What's new

Wolfram|Alpha (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Could be interesting. I tried a few things and got some good info back. I am sure something like this will be as common as Google in the years to come.
P.S. there is a rule on the forum about not just posting a link. Ya need to have something to chit-chat about as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was a long-time Mathematica user, and fan of it. But I never understood Alpha. It couldn't solve even simple problems of interest to me. I understand it powers aspects the iPhone Siri service, but I've never used that aspect. I don't use Mathematica professionally currently, so am increasingly out of date on Wolfram's offerings. Will take a look at the Wolfram Language.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interesting. They're repackaging their Mathematica language as a full-blown language. The upside is that Mathematica has evolved into a very broad and versatile system. The downside is that it is a complex language. It is a very nested structure and becomes difficult to read with multiple levels of brackets and parentheses, and specific modifiers of arrows and colons and other syntactical bits.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched the intro video to it. It makes more sense to me. Except I have no idea yet how I'd use it on my desktop. Or can I only doodle online? Or us it like Mathematica and costs $500 to get started. Need to read more tonight.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Agreed. It's definitely a first gen release. The thing is it seems nobody else is doing much at the scale these guys are, I can't wait to see what the brainy uni kids build with it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Stephen Wolfram has been chipping at this for a lifetime. He wants to usher in the next paradigm shift in science. (See his gushing over Automatons a decade ago)The problem with this " language", as I crudely understand it, is it's really a proprietary database plus a computational language. This isn't Ruby, the cool new script than anyone can do anything with. This is Wolfram's system requiring their own data store. Imagine Wikipedia launching a language based on their data. Regardless. Thus is interesting. Proprietary languages aren't anything new. Matlab. Lab view. IDL. Mathematica. Those are the few I've played with. But this attempt at a universal approach to everything, backed by a database of everything, is new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks