1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Wolfgang Peterson to direct ENDER'S GAME film

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Forner, May 19, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

From Orson Scott Card's Official Website:

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Thanks for the news. One of my favorite books...casting is KEY!
    Looking forward to watching it develop [​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Agreed Chuck about Ender's Game, an excellent book. I really look forward to seeing it on the big screen.[​IMG]

4. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

AWESOME!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I've met OSC, and I'm so happy the movie is going forward. The script sample he posted a few years back was really promising. Glad he finally got the mad control he was after

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Is Jake Lloyd too old for the role of Ender? [​IMG]

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Patrick;

Forget Jake Llyod! Get Macaulay Culkin on the phone right now!

8. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

But it is Wolfgang Peterson! Did anyone SEE Perfect Storm? I know, I know...he has some history, but I am worried he doesn't have the light touch needed to direct a cast of children. Will see what they choose to throw out too. Could be scary.

Phil

9. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

No, get one of my favorite child actors...Matthew Broderick. He is such a funny young man.

Phil

10. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Phil, don't forget that Petersen helmed the kid-friendly "The Neverending Story." I really like the book, and I have a lot of hope for this movie!

11. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

Excellent news! Petersen is a solid choice and if the script is good, this is shaping up to be a first-rate project.

12. Richard WWW

Richard WWW Stunt Coordinator

Ender's Game was great. I haven't read Ender's Shadow, though. Has any Orson Scott Card movie made it into celluloid before?

How about Haley Joel Osment as Ender? Jake Lloyd is a horrible child actor. Haley's getting a little old for Game, though.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Everyone bases Jake Lloyds acting on his delivery of badly written lines with virtually no direction at the age of 8

STOP DOING IT! The difference between an 8 and a 12yo is a LIFETIME!

I don't believe any OSC project has been filmed before

Read Ender's Shadow. It's BETTER than Ender's Game, and is Bean's story, told simultaneously with the events of "game"

14. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Gonna wait and see if this was a good choice or not. "In the Line of Fire", "Outbreak" were both kinda flat and slow, not dynamic, didn't really develop characters that I attached to. "Air Force One" was flat and odd, and had some absolutely ridiculous elements in it (the aerial combat scenes looked like crap, the gun locker on the plane was stupid, etc...)
    Also I don't think the film production will be done anytime in the next two years, and even if they started TODAY I don't think Haley Joel Osmet will be young enough for it in a year or two. Plus, as OSC points out in comments, they need something like half a dozen good/decent child actors for the major kid roles in the combined two stories. Two of those actors must be tremendous for it to work; Ender and Bean. Neither character is anything AT ALL like the typical child actor (all bubbly and full of smiles).
    Gonna be tough. Hope it works well; it'd piss me off something fierce if they finally do a movie of Ender's Game and screw it up. [​IMG]

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I would love to see an Ender's Game film, but this is another one that's been going on for years. I hope they find a decent child actor. They wanted Haley Joel when he was in the Sixth Sense, but he's too old now.

These are excellent books for anyone who's interested in the films. Certainly a perfect substitute during the many-years wait still to go.

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Macualey's little brother, Kieran, who was in "You Can Count On Me" might be a decent candidate if he hasn't grown up too fast.

18. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    This could be interesting - all depends on whomever they cast to play Ender of course.

Like Jeffrey I believe there each book deserves it's own movie. The combining of the 2 has me concerned.

19. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

This is going to live or die by the casting. It is going to be VERY hard to find enough good child actors for this. Ender is going to be especially difficult to play, I suspect that not many adult actors could pull it off. He commits genocide at age 11 (or so, can't remember exact age), how do you expect a child to play that?!

I think the best solution will be to advance the ages a few years to at least give them a decent pool of teen/young adult actors to work with.

20. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    You would also need a good actor to play Peter Wiggin . He was a favorite character for me in the book. I really like Wolfgang Peterson directing, a good choice.