Wolfenstein Multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Spencer, Jan 20, 2002.

1. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

So I've got Wolfenstein, and I wanna play some multi, but I have no clue as to which server to play on. Is there a dedicated one for the HTF crew? I've had pretty bad luck choosing so far, as it seems there are a lot of servers who do not care for newbies jumping in. Any help, guys?

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I'd choose one that has FF off (go into your filters). Otherwise, it depends on your bandwith. Either way, go into one with a ton of people, and play your fingers numb.

My favorite levels are the Beach (of course), the depot, assault, and destruction.

With friendly fire off, you should be able to aptly experiment and gain your footing.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

A quick way to get your footing - do not choose the following classes:
    Soldier with Flamethrower
    Soldier with Panzerfaust
    Medic
    Engineer
    Lt
    Your best bet is to choose a soldier with either the venom or a machinegun and practice learning the levels. Then start paying attention to how the other classes play. Watch the medics to see how to heal and not be a rambo. Watch how Lts (at least some of them) give out ammo to the classes that need it. Also observe how they use the smoke grenades. Then, watch the Engies (who are the key to winning the objective maps).
    Figure out which specialty class appeals to you more and stick with it.
    To avoid any newbie bashing online, go to www.planetwolfenstein.com and read their multiplayer hints section. You may find it helpful.
    Have fun, above all.

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Alex,

I gotta disagree. The LT is the best class to be if you want just a machine gun, seeing as how they can give themselves ammo. What's the point of being a soldier? Not to mention the nifty air strike feature.

Beyond that, the venom is terrible difficult. It takes a while to shoot, it over heats...

I'd say start out as an LT, if it were me.

5. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

When looking for a server go to the ingame browser, click the button to get the latest list and then sort by ping times. Jump onto the one with the lowest ping and a good number of players online.

6. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

7. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Now that my feet are all wet from a few hours of fun (Thanks, guys, for the help in choosing), I'd love to have a few good rounds with all of us here. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near capable enough to host a game. But I'm up for playing if someone else wants to either set up a time to use a dedicated server, or host. Thanks again for all the quick responses, and look behind you. [​IMG]

8. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

9. Chris Beveridge

Heck, let's add a few more.
    Be consistent - play both sides. Learn the objectives for both sides on a map and play both teams so you can really understand the map. This is also helpful as you'll eventually land on a server where when the game ends, it plays the same map again except you get bumped to the other side.
    Check out www.rtcwfiles.com or search for other file warehouses. Grab the updated weapon sounds. The mp40 actually sounds like an mp40 in those kits and adds a lot to things.
    Never file a complaint for teamkilling - unless it's warranted. 99% of the time, teamkillings *are* accidents. Good players apologize right on the spot before you can even complain. Often times you'll realize it was your own fault as you just got in their way of something, particularly if you get taken down by one of your own snipers. If you teamkill someone accidentally, apologize quickly. Nothing saves team comraderie faster than that.
    If you just want to play a quick game for the killing fun, just play as a soldier with a thompson and go hunting.
    Server choices - Usually best to look for low ping servers, sort by that then choose your map. I generally grab pings in the 20-30 range. I've found often that the 1 ping servers are screwy and I end up with 100+ ping time when I get there.
    As a newbie, try for the 28-32 player servers. This gives you room to play around with learning things while not having the game hang in the balance upon what you do. A 16 player server with two teams of 8 means that every person is critical, and those who have taken command of the teams will get annoyed if you're running around setting off explosives aware to learn how to do it.
    Boredom will set in eventually. This is the first best sign to start doing something different. This is usually when you'll start grabbing custom maps and getting into things. The really popular one at the moment is Trenchtoast, which made its debut awhile ago. This one gives a lot of players room to move and a variety of towers, trenches, open fields and underground areas. Everyone's specialty works here, which is why it's so popular.
    Avoid the airstrip. Well, I try to. It's a damn annoying map where it's too easy to get nailed, especially playing Axis. The bridge map is fun, but must be on a low-refresh server as you can get nailed damn fast in some of those areas when just coming out of the spawning ground. Canyon Carnage is actually a bit of fun, but there's just so few people playing it, it feels light a ghost town map.
    For the included maps with the game, Beach is still fun for me, but many people tire of it quickly. I find it good for a quick 10 minute game of carnage. The Destruction map (I believe that's the name) is probably my second favorite with its city streets and the carnage that follows in the center section where each side tries to get ahead. Lots of tight spaces for people to get into and just control.
    I'm always on there as Hunter Rose, so you may see me sometime. [​IMG] I'm quiet and don't talk trash unless the other team is really bad. We had a 30 minute beach game last night I was involved in as an Axis player... the allies sucked so bad, they could barely keep control of the forward bunker, never mind getting into the base enough to grab the documents. They required ridiculing.

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I've got to ask you Wolf players about the player queue.
    Doesn't that wait just drive you nuts?!? I stopped playing the game just because of that aspect of the game. It slows things down a ton (especially when you die as much as me! [​IMG]).

11. Chris Beveridge

You just need to find low-refresh servers. Just be thankful you didn't end up on a server where you have a limited number of respawns before you're kept out of the game until its over.

12. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

13. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Yep, you never want to play as an LT as a newbie. You'll get pestered (and occasionally shot at) for not providing ammo, and the air strike is an excellent way to eliminate your entire team. The soldier with the machine gun is the best way to start simply and avoid having anyone else dependant on you.

Chris's recommendations are right on target. See you all out there - I'm Monk_Zero so kill me at your leisure.

BTW, nice nick. Grendel, right?

14. Chris Beveridge

Alex,
    Yep, my little homage to the Wagner epic. I try to use it wherever I can. We're even planning to name our next child Hunter if it's a boy (and if she gets pregnant again). [​IMG]

15. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

16. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Excellent. Now that my DVD collection is nearing completion, and my CD collection is seeing only sporadic growth, I think I'm going to collect Grendel.
    Excellent dedication. At least you didn't like Spawn more [​IMG]