What's new

Wol (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by leeha
Can my sony bd send wol to my buffalo nas?
How?
From what I know of wol (wake on LAN), which isn't much, many newer models of Blu-ray player (for Sony, it's 2012 and newer) can receive wol, but nothing that I have read indicates they can send wol. That appears to be a feature that is relegated to the computer/hardware realm.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Show you how out of the loop I am on woL... I thought it was more for business. Having the internet wake up your computer is great. But...how many of us, at home, turn off the internet? Unless there is a NAS with built-in sleep mode??? (does that exist?) and the periphery devices wake it up? Edit: I did find posts on various other forums discussing woL on NAS(go figure) around April '12. All of them say a computer must initiate wake-up. Wonder if that, by default, means a Roku/Netgear TV etc can act as the computer???? My NAS stays on, same with the router(NAS is USB on the router as I use the built-in Netgear protocals...) But I only use it for music and very few pictures. I know how to do movies on it(and have the DLNA devices to run them)...I just don't care for what all I lose with a ripped movie.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I thought the WOL feature started sleeping disks re-spinning, I didn't think it actually turned on the NAS. I also thought the feature was embedded in the NAS, the network device requesting the NAS service doesn't have to do anything special (e.g., no protocol/API). (I'm typing this from memory; didn't bother to look anything up.)

leeha

Auditioning
Real Name
Lee Ha
Tanks. To explain my problem: My buffalo nas has a auto Power setting. It is then turned off after a specified time. I would like The nas to wake up when i try to open files on it, from my sony bd player.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You didn't say which device you had, but according to their web site they all have disk stand-by mode, and that will definitely wake-up on an access request. I'm guessing the power port is used for synchronization to a UPS, for auto power-down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks